Crash due to sand on the trail

BikeGary

So here in SoCal I don't have to worry about ice on the trail, but apparently I do have to watch out for sand which gets washed on the trail due to the recent rains. The county has done an excellent job maintaining the trail and I don't ride everyday so I wasn't as careful as I should have been.

We had a break from the rain Tuesday so I tried to ride to work yesterday. I got about 10 miles into the ride when I rode around a corner on the rt 56 trail and hit a patch of sand which had washed down from the hill above. I thought I was going to make it when all of a sudden I knew I was in trouble. The front wheel slid out to the left side and down I went on my right. My shoe came off the pedal but the handlebars and the crank arm trapped my right leg. The pave grabbed the sole of my shoe and rotated it outward so I ended up with a hole on the instep on the lower inside of my foot and another sprained ankle! This time it's my right foot. The big sprocket had about 7 or eight teeth ground down again. Fortunately I was wearing my super tough gloves made for rescue workers and my hand came away with nary a scratch. The glove though has a hole in the heel of the palm. Kevlar is only so strong against abrasives.

Thing was as I was sliding I was trying valiantly to get out from under the bike, but the handlebars hooked my knee, and the friction of the road was pushing my leg back and up into the bars. And my ankle couldn't hold a straight line. It hurt like heck at the moment it happened but not so much now. I've iced it for a day, and taped it and put Arnica gel on it and taken some ibuprofen.

My right shoe is toast. The strap on the instep was worn off, and a large hole is in the top of the shoe. It cut through my sock and abraded my foot skin.

The bike appears to have no other scratches on it. I did lose the bell which sits on the end of my handlebars, but it wasn't doing it's job anyway. (ceased to ring well a month or two ago.)

I think I was only going 10 to 15 mph, but I haven't checked my cycle computer yet. The whole fall seemed to happen in slow motion and I think I was trying to recover and stand it back up until it was far too late.

I had to call my wife to come get me as I was too far to walk home or to work. (13 more miles to work)

Dang!

Well at least I didn't hit my head or my hip. I was going about 10mph so less impact than the last crash. The thing is when you lead with your feet, that's what is going to take the brunt of the fall. It's way better than leading with your head. On my DF I would probably have hit my wrist and shoulder at a minimum.

I expect to be off the bikes for the next 6 to 8 weeks. With spin class I can get back in shape before committing to the road.

My take-a-way is to wait longer after the rains before riding this trail.

Meantime I have a four wheeler knee cart for the office which everyone is having fun wiping around the halls on.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Yes... sand is an issue for me too. Friction burns are painful. You can buy some special stuff from Amazon. Make sure the wound is clean and then put the duoderm product over it. Then leave it to heal. I've never ordered any but I know a few cruzbikers have.

BikeGary

Looked at my GPS data over the weekend and I was going 17mph when I went into the curve, and the last data point is 16.3... so I assume that was as I was braking to try and slow down.....Then there is that sudden drop...

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
I was taking a turn in Florida when some sand made me fall. Sounds like I had a very lucky fall comparatively-- I was going 20ish and just had some road rash along my right forward and outer thigh. The bike got some handlebar scrapes and scrapes along the outside of the chainwheel/crank. My shoe had scuffs, but it is/was old, and that just blended in :)

In my case it happened so fast (I was already doing a ~.7G turn, so closer to pavement before fall), I hardly had any time to react. I wonder if my lack of reaction is what let me get off relatively lightly??

AlexisBV

I got almost symmetrical road rash scars just above each of my elbows. The uglier one was a fall at about 15 km/h. The other more discreet one was at about 40 km/h. Go figure.

Also, the bike was almost unharmed on both falls. It would seem that other than myself, the RD is the only component that has been "trimmed down" by the falls. Also, the faster fall would likely have been quite a bit uglier if I were on an upright bike..

Get well soon!

JoFlo

Yes, sand in the turns is something I'm always looking out for. I've had my S30 a year now and initially went down a few times learning to ride it. Have gone over to Ventura area to ride with group there, lots of sand on trails. I mostly ride in Bakersfield area. My experience is to sit up when riding through dirty turns. Seems to help with the balance. Also, if going down hang on to the handle bars, you only get forearms and elbows scraped. Good luck!

BikeGary

Yes, sand in the turns is something I'm always looking out for. I've had my S30 a year now and initially went down a few times learning to ride it. Have gone over to Ventura area to ride with group there, lots of sand on trails. I mostly ride in Bakersfield area. My experience is to sit up when riding through dirty turns. Seems to help with the balance. Also, if going down hang on to the handle bars, you only get forearms and elbows scraped. Good luck!

I do sit up when I see trouble ahead, whether its traffic, or rough road. Thing was I was on it before I do anything. I feel like if my knee hadn't been pinned by the handlebars I my leg would have jerked up and out from under.

But anyway I'm on my third week on the knee cart and the cart is loads of fun. The ankle is healing well and other than bugging me when I try to sleep I'm progressing well. My physical therapist said that all the good circulation I have in my legs from years of riding has helped in the recovery. I'm thinking of hitting the spin class tomorrow for a very very light workout.