CRASH on my new V20c

I mount it on my handlebars with Velcro. Since both the canister and handlebars are round, there's not a lot of contact area. With good Velcro, it still can work. One trick is the cut a Popsicle stick to the width of the Velcro and put it between the handlebars and the Velcro. Do the same on the canister. Then you have two flat surfaces to stick to. The mini air horn lasts a surprisingly long time. You don't need to use it very often and for only short bursts. I'm still using my original purchase. They're also small and super light weight.
Sounds like another 3D printing project to add to my list...

colin.mccomish

Thank you for the suggestion of the AirZound. I've taken my bike to two shops and one of them is preparing a quote. Won't be able to ride it for at least a few weeks, is my guess.
More of my unsolicited $0.02, I’d recommend contending strenuously with the insurance adjuster for a completely new front triangle given the fragility of carbon, possibility of undetectable micro cracks and potential for severe or fatal injury if a complete failure occurs at high speed later. I’m on my third Trek DF frame due 2 frame failures. Thank God for lifetime warranties! Wish the warranty covered the trickle down of tech advancements sic “pointless generational changes made solely to make frames and components obsolete” as those “advancements” have cost me about $1000 per bike to put back on the road.

Tuloose

Guru
Bear spray will kill the dog. Human pepper spray can injure the dog. You should only use dog spray on dogs.
I'm not sure about that.
We were on a bike tour of the Great Divide route, camped outside Yellowstone when a porcupine began chewing on the plywood siding covering a fiberglass porti potty making a terrible racket. I got out of my sleeping bag and sprayed it with my bear spray. It just hung there looking back at me. I sprayed it again and it slowly clambered down and waddled off. It came back later that night but I was too tired to bother with it.
Some of the residual spray got on my eyes and it just stung for a minute. I doubt it would kill a dog.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I'm not sure about that.
We were on a bike tour of the Great Divide route, camped outside Yellowstone when a porcupine began chewing on the plywood siding covering a fiberglass porti potty making a terrible racket. I got out of my sleeping bag and sprayed it with my bear spray. It just hung there looking back at me. I sprayed it again and it slowly clambered down and waddled off. It came back later that night but I was too tired to bother with it.
Some of the residual spray got on my eyes and it just stung for a minute. I doubt it would kill a dog.
Dogs have extraordinary senses and the pepper spray can cause respiratory distress and serious eye injuries. Here's a reference:

Why would anyone risk it?

bentinitalia

This thread has caught my attention. I've had a few encounters with dogs, fortunately none of any consequence. I've always been a good distance with enough head-start to get out of their territory before they got close, except the last time, just a few days ago. I was sailing along a flat area of country road. Ahead of me I noticed a Border Collie, by itself, not a human insight, doing its business in the grasses along the side of the road. The dog looked at me, I looked at it. It was just finishing up, doing the hind leg scratching thing, when, just as I was starting to pass, it took off after me. I yelled at it and went into sprint mode. The yell had no effect. Interesting, though, this dog didn't scare me. It showed no signs of aggression. However, I was surprised by how fast this dog could run and how it was keeping up with me as I accelerated to about 33-4 kmh. In retrospect, I noticed it was staying in the grass, rather than moving into the road closer. It seemed to be trying to pace along side. Now I suspect, as a herding dog, it was just having fun with me. He/she finally gave up, but ran a good bit longer than I expected.

This experience, and the previous comments, got me thinking about how to discourage dogs. Sprays are risky while riding—where to keep it handy, aiming, then hoping the wind doesn't blow it back—no way. Zappers? Again, where to keep it handy, and then the dog has to get very close—too close. Loud horns? Maybe, but when I looked for something compact, easy to use, practical to mount, and effective—nothing checked off all the requirements. Ultrasonic repellents? Very high frequencies are highly directional and must be aimed directly at the dog—another washed out option.

So, I oogled “dog deterrent for cycling.” First result : https://www.roadbikerider.com/wp-content/uploads/attachments/TheDogPopperGuide.pdf Entertaining, informative, and note his comment about recumbents.

Karl42

YOGA_O

This thread has caught my attention. I've had a few encounters with dogs, fortunately none of any consequence. I've always been a good distance with enough head-start to get out of their territory before they got close, except the last time, just a few days ago. I was sailing along a flat area of country road. Ahead of me I noticed a Border Collie, by itself, not a human insight, doing its business in the grasses along the side of the road. The dog looked at me, I looked at it. It was just finishing up, doing the hind leg scratching thing, when, just as I was starting to pass, it took off after me. I yelled at it and went into sprint mode. The yell had no effect. Interesting, though, this dog didn't scare me. It showed no signs of aggression. However, I was surprised by how fast this dog could run and how it was keeping up with me as I accelerated to about 33-4 kmh. In retrospect, I noticed it was staying in the grass, rather than moving into the road closer. It seemed to be trying to pace along side. Now I suspect, as a herding dog, it was just having fun with me. He/she finally gave up, but ran a good bit longer than I expected.

This experience, and the previous comments, got me thinking about how to discourage dogs. Sprays are risky while riding—where to keep it handy, aiming, then hoping the wind doesn't blow it back—no way. Zappers? Again, where to keep it handy, and then the dog has to get very close—too close. Loud horns? Maybe, but when I looked for something compact, easy to use, practical to mount, and effective—nothing checked off all the requirements. Ultrasonic repellents? Very high frequencies are highly directional and must be aimed directly at the dog—another washed out option.

So, I oogled “dog deterrent for cycling.” First result : https://www.roadbikerider.com/wp-content/uploads/attachments/TheDogPopperGuide.pdf Entertaining, informative, and note his comment about recumbents.
Funny, but impractical for those who don't want to start attending Dog Popper Prep conventions ;)

Interesting that he points out that it's the loud sound that deters them. The AirZound puts out 115 db. The key as described by this popper-prepper, is to make sure you deploy the noise when the dog gets closer. When I first used the AirZound to deter a chasing dog, I immediately sounded it when the dog started chasing, but was 20+ yards away. The dog paused for the briefest of moments, before resuming the chase because it was like, "That didn't hurt! I'm chasing this prey down!" It was only when the dog got closer, say around 10 feet, that I delivered another 1 - 2 second blast, and it stopped right in its tracks.

M.J

I've sprayed a couple of pretty aggressive dogs with Halt and it stopped them. It comes out as a stream, not a spray, and seems pretty unlikely to blow back unless it's really windy.
I will say, though, that when I have used dog spray it has been while riding one of my uprights. It seems like it would be much more difficult on a recumbent.

CoachellaRider

As a dog owner and a confirmed dog person, I'd like to apologize to you for this incident. People who let their dogs offleash make all of us look bad, and I always tell them that when I see them.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I've sprayed a couple of pretty aggressive dogs with Halt and it stopped them. It comes out as a stream, not a spray, and seems pretty unlikely to blow back unless it's really windy.
I will say, though, that when I have used dog spray it has been while riding one of my uprights. It seems like it would be much more difficult on a recumbent.

I tried that but couldn't hit the dog on the head when peddling with one hand and the dog bouncing up and down while running. This same dog completely ignored my boat horn. A lot of yelling and aggressively pointing at him kept him from getting too close.

colin.mccomish

Yes! My experience is that the herding dogs: border collies, heelers, and McNabb’s are nearly impossible to outrun. They are soo incredibly fast, essentially fearless, and persistent. I’ve heard that McNabb’s are such hard workers that owners have to protect the dog from itself. They will literally work themselves to death.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
As a dog owner and a confirmed dog person, I'd like to apologize to you for this incident. People who let their dogs offleash make all of us look bad, and I always tell them that when I see them.

If you followed my touring blog, you would be apologizing daily. In the country, people just let their dogs run loose. I live with a dog and am a dog person, but I won't apologize for the knuckleheads that let their dogs run loose on the highways and country roads.

When I was young in LA, you had to get a licence to own a dog, and the dog had to have dog tags with the license number. If your dog was running loose, it would be picked up and sent to dog pound where you would have to pay a fine to get it back. If you didn't come within some period of time, the dog was euthanized. Tough policy but it kept the streets clear of stray dogs, and it put the onus on the owner to keep his dog from running loose.

M.J

Yes! My experience is that the herding dogs: border collies, heelers, and McNabb’s are nearly impossible to outrun. They are soo incredibly fast, essentially fearless, and persistent. I’ve heard that McNabb’s are such hard workers that owners have to protect the dog from itself. They will literally work themselves to death.
Blue Heelers are pure evil.
There was one on my old FedEx route that would throw himself at my truck, slamming his head and body into it trying to get at me. Two of the dogs I've had to spray (always a last resort) have been Heelers.