Creak solved

thaddeus

Greetings all, I've suffered a minor but annoying mechanical creak from the front end of my second-hand Silvio 1.0 since I bought it about 9 months ago.

It manifested under pedalling load, giving the impression of looseness somewhere; moreover there was another creak when lifting the bike by the bars or touching down the front wheel.

Assuming both were caused by the Kind Shock, I deflated it and Teflon-greased its sliding surface under the boot and experimented with air pressure. Naturally I checked every allen bolt and clamp and tightened pedals and cranks. As I am taller than the previous owner, I'd cleaned and revolved the bottom bracket shell clamps to ensure the carbostays were straight 'at rest.'

A few days ago, I set about finding the cause, expecting the cause to be more involved: play in the headset or the bottom bracket. Within 5 minutes I had my source: the massive gudgeon pin and its bearing surfaces to the clamp that connects to the TFT. A light smear of Teflon grease and now the bike feels rock solid and silent.

Best, wd

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Excellent. So glad you got

Excellent. So glad you got rid of that creak! Thanks for sharing,

Jim

Alan Dolbeer

Bump Silvio creak

I have a two year old Silvio 1.5 which has had what seems to be the same creak as your 1.0 version bike. Since the frame is bolted together with numerous fasteners, I have been using an inch/pound torque wrench to check/tighten the fasteners every month or so. Still had a slight creak when pedalling. Recently searched for and found your issue and remedy. I also removed the large pin, wiped off and then lubricated the mating surfaces (though I used Loctite ant-sieze lubricant because that is what I had on hand). Today I took a 40+ mile road ride and the condition is improved for certain, and perhaps gone altogether. The only reason for any doubt is the wind was really blowing making it difficult to listen closely.
Anyway, I certainly recommend others perform the same action if hearing any creak while pedalling your Silvio. BTW, just have to say the Silvio is my favorite "on road" bicycle. So glad I made the purchase in 2011.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
now that i know it's called a gudgeon pin...

Where can I find replacement bolts for mine? Mine are corroded quite badly and are an eyesore on this gorgeous machine.