Creaking front triangle

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
On my 2022 Q45, when first assembled and ridden this was not a problem, but after a few miles there is now an awful creaking/clicking sound with any pressure on the pedals. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, so I have disassembled the entire front triangle including the headset, regreased all threads and retightened everything several times, but the noise persists. It's loud enough that people who know me ask 'what's wrong with your bike??' Not to mention that it drives me nuts! It actually seems to be coming from either the chainstays or the bottom bracket, but as I said, it's hard to be sure.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen with the Q45? Any suggestions?

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Always fun! Bottom bracket threads, crank/pedal threads, cassette, spokes, skewer, seat mounting bolt . . . If you're like most of us you'll try everything you can think of, disassemble the entire bike and reassemble and it will still drive you crazy. Then one day you'll you'll realize it is coming from the opposite end of the bike and it's something ridiculous like a water bottle cage bolt! Hang in there. We've all been there!

onmyback

On my 2022 Q45, when first assembled and ridden this was not a problem, but after a few miles there is now an awful creaking/clicking sound with any pressure on the pedals. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, so I have disassembled the entire front triangle including the headset, regreased all threads and retightened everything several times, but the noise persists. It's loud enough that people who know me ask 'what's wrong with your bike??' Not to mention that it drives me nuts! It actually seems to be coming from either the chainstays or the bottom bracket, but as I said, it's hard to be sure.

Has anyone else had anything similar happen with the Q45? Any suggestions?
My 2018 Q45 had a creak/click. Removing and re-installing the bottom bracket retainer (I don't know what else to call it) stopped the noise. Make sure the gaps between the retainer and boom are all the same, before torquing.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Thanks, good advice! I did that yesterday to no avail. I was very hopeful but no luck. Up next: remove all water bottle cages, one at a time. Then if no improvement, the bottom bracket itself.

bret

I've been wondering about a loose spoke. What's the best way to find out?
Grab them by handfuls and notice when one feels different.
Tap them with a wrench and notice when one sounds different.
Buy a spoke tension meter.

Another trick from the automotive world - a stethoscope, but instead of a bell, it has a metal rod as a probe. Put that places and make the noise - it can help narrow down the source.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Buy a spoke tension meter.

Another trick from the automotive world - a stethoscope, but instead of a bell, it has a metal rod as a probe. Put that places and make the noise - it can help narrow down the source.
More good advice....thanks. About half the spokes feel looser than the other half. Pinging them with a plastic Sharpie shows so many different tones that if i were a xylophonist i could likely play a tune! A spoke tension meter sounds like a good idea.
The automotive stethoscope would be great but i can't replicate the noise while stationary. It only happens while pedaling down the street. Tried holding the brakes and pushing but no dice. I'm not coordinated enough to pedal and use a stethoscope at the same time
Have a few more things to try and if they don't help then i'll put my gravel bike rear wheel on the front of the Q. If that solves the creaking and clicking then it will def be time for the spoke tension meter.

bret

i can't replicate the noise while stationary
Just some thoughts...

A good repair stand can hold the wheel off the ground.

I use a standard, cheap folding training stand to park my Q45 and also get my morning exercise, rain or shine.

Either way, I can crank the pedals by hand and make adjustments.

My Q45 is a 2021 model, so thru-axles. I replaced my front with a Robert Axle Project trainer axle (and ride on the street with no issues).

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Just some thoughts...

A good repair stand can hold the wheel off the ground.

I use a standard, cheap folding training stand to park my Q45 and also get my morning exercise, rain or shine.

Either way, I can crank the pedals by hand and make adjustments.

My Q45 is a 2021 model, so thru-axles. I replaced my front with a Robert Axle Project trainer axle (and ride on the street with no issues).
Thank you for the ideas. I do have a Park Tool repair stand; the bike is usually up in the stand while adjusting etc. Turning the cranks while in the stand doesn't seem to create enough resistance to cause the sound. I have yet to put it on a training stand but will do that also. Have been going thru all the bolts, connections etc, then riding with each 'intervention' to see if there is any improvement. Only have limited time each day to fool with this.
Will also check out the Robert Axle Project trainer axle. Thanks!

billyk

Guru

Yup. Spokes can infuriatingly produce creaking sounds that can appear to come from anywhere on the bike.
Always check then first because:
- It's easy to do (per @bret above)
- It's simple and cheap to fix
I just like to slowly spin the wheel and wiggle each one. Is it rubbing kind of loosely against another one? Do they all feel the same?

I had similar symptoms and ended up being the headset. I loosened the clamp, and tightened the top cap with more preload and then tightened the clamp, and my problem went away. But mine was on a V20.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Well, I love a happy ending.

After completely disassembling the bike including taking the bottom bracket out (note to recent Q45 buyers: there was not even a single molecule of grease on the crank bolts nor the bottom bracket threads so you'd be wise to pull the cranks and the bottom bracket and grease everything up good; same with the headset bolt etc etc) and reassembling with extra grease and care to torque every single bolt just so, as well as dropping my gravel bike's rear wheel in the front fork of the Q to rule out spoke noise, the creaking/clicking was worse than ever and so was my groaning and moaning. Then while sitting on the bike, now able to replicate the sound while not riding by holding the brakes and putting pressure on the pedals, I noticed the boom flexing like crazy at the bottom bracket shell. What the heck? I tightened the bottom bracket shell clamps more and more, but the bike continued to make those awful noises. I had followed the instructions from the video to the 'T' and tried not to over tighten those clamps to keep from damaging the rubber grommets included on this year's clamps. But then I thought, neither my old Silvio 1.5 nor either of my Vendettas had rubber grommets there. So in near desperation i took them out and retightened the clamps as on the other bikes. Sat on the bike and tried to replicated the creaking. Hmmmm. Quiet. Took the bike for a spin up the street and back. Quiet as a mouse. Rode out again putting as many watts as I could muster into the pedals and the bike remained creak and click free. Hallelujah! After around 30 total hours of trying to ID the source of the creaking and knock it out, all I had to do was remove some grommets. Go figure.

Not sure what purpose those rubber grommets are supposed to serve but I can only hope taking them out causes no damage because I'm not putting them back. I was about ready to return the bike; indeed, if this was my first Cruzbike I would have already done so, but I've learned to trust and respect Cruzbike quality so I had to keep trying. Glad I did.

Now to get back to finding another solution for the water bottle problem. (hint: it came via UPS today. stay tuned)

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Creaking progress---all creaks and clicks eliminated. The culprits were the boom clamps and the seat tube.

Now that all that racket has been eliminated i've been able to pay attention to how this bike rides, and i'll just say it is one sweet ride! The suspension eats up any bumps and the more upright seating position is great.
2EBC3FE0-E292-4019-9BB8-31C858AE476B.jpeg

Well, I love a happy ending.

After completely disassembling the bike including taking the bottom bracket out (note to recent Q45 buyers: there was not even a single molecule of grease on the crank bolts nor the bottom bracket threads so you'd be wise to pull the cranks and the bottom bracket and grease everything up good; same with the headset bolt etc etc) and reassembling with extra grease and care to torque every single bolt just so, as well as dropping my gravel bike's rear wheel in the front fork of the Q to rule out spoke noise, the creaking/clicking was worse than ever and so was my groaning and moaning. Then while sitting on the bike, now able to replicate the sound while not riding by holding the brakes and putting pressure on the pedals, I noticed the boom flexing like crazy at the bottom bracket shell. What the heck? I tightened the bottom bracket shell clamps more and more, but the bike continued to make those awful noises. I had followed the instructions from the video to the 'T' and tried not to over tighten those clamps to keep from damaging the rubber grommets included on this year's clamps. But then I thought, neither my old Silvio 1.5 nor either of my Vendettas had rubber grommets there. So in near desperation i took them out and retightened the clamps as on the other bikes. Sat on the bike and tried to replicated the creaking. Hmmmm. Quiet. Took the bike for a spin up the street and back. Quiet as a mouse. Rode out again putting as many watts as I could muster into the pedals and the bike remained creak and click free. Hallelujah! After around 30 total hours of trying to ID the source of the creaking and knock it out, all I had to do was remove some grommets. Go figure.

Not sure what purpose those rubber grommets are supposed to serve but I can only hope taking them out causes no damage because I'm not putting them back. I was about ready to return the bike; indeed, if this was my first Cruzbike I would have already done so, but I've learned to trust and respect Cruzbike quality so I had to keep trying. Glad I did.

Now to get back to finding another solution for the water bottle problem. (hint: it came via UPS today. stay tuned)
I will have to try this, as my Q45 is exhibiting a similar creaking.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I will have to try this, as my Q45 is exhibiting a similar creaking.
Hi SofRider29,

Just be sure not to overtighten. I left close to a millimeter of space between the clamps. I messaged Robert (Holler) about it and he said as long as they weren't overtightened it was fine. The rec was to leave the clamps not touching because if over tightened they are likely to break. Let us know if it helps.

Kline