Creaking in my Front End...

Postapocalypsia

Hi Learned Folk,
my 2019 S40 has developed a creaking or tick in the front end, usually under load but frustratingly intermittent. I have re-tensioned the bolts on the bottom bracket, the boom clamps, the headset clamp, the headset...I don't own a torque wrench but have a pretty good feel for what should be tight enough. I checked that the pedal cleats were not contributing. I also lubricated the inner facing surfaces of all the clamps.
Does anyone have any experience of this, or possible fixes?
I recently became aware of the new Viscoset headset as well and wondered if it would fit my 2019 model. From all accounts it sounds like a winner - I had noticed over time that my stock headset had loosened slightly so when I lifted the bike by the handlebars I could detect a tiny amount of play. I have corrected this but wondered too if this needs regular checking.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Hi Learned Folk,
my 2019 S40 has developed a creaking or tick in the front end, usually under load but frustratingly intermittent. I have re-tensioned the bolts on the bottom bracket, the boom clamps, the headset clamp, the headset...I don't own a torque wrench but have a pretty good feel for what should be tight enough. I checked that the pedal cleats were not contributing. I also lubricated the inner facing surfaces of all the clamps.
Does anyone have any experience of this, or possible fixes?
I recently became aware of the new Viscoset headset as well and wondered if it would fit my 2019 model. From all accounts it sounds like a winner - I had noticed over time that my stock headset had loosened slightly so when I lifted the bike by the handlebars I could detect a tiny amount of play. I have corrected this but wondered too if this needs regular checking.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have 2017 S40 with the same noise. My suspicion is that the front end tubes that go inside each other need to be lubed at their interface.

I also have the little play you mentioned when I lift my bike by the handlebar. I thought it might be the headset getting a little loose but never bothered with tightening it since it looks like I have to take a few things off. I am glad you confirmed that's the problem. I believe all S40s can take the new Viscoset. Please let us know how you like it (before and after), if you decide to change it. :)

Postapocalypsia

I have 2017 S40 with the same noise. My suspicion is that the front end tubes that go inside each other need to be lubed at their interface.

I also have the little play you mentioned when I lift my bike by the handlebar. I thought it might be the headset getting a little loose but never bothered with tightening it since it looks like I have to take a few things off. I am glad you confirmed that's the problem. I believe all S40s can take the new Viscoset. Please let us know how you like it (before and after), if you decide to change it. :)
I hadn't thought of lubing the tubes so i will look into that, thanks.
Regarding the headset tension, I just loosen the headset clamps and raise the boom just enough to get the hex key onto the headset bolt and tighten in fine increments until I lose the play but not so much as to reduce free movement of the front wheel.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Regarding the headset tension, I just loosen the headset clamps and raise the boom just enough to get the hex key onto the headset bolt.
Did you have to loosen the boom clamp bolt and take the boom tube off to get to the headset nut on top of the round thing?

Postapocalypsia

Did you have to loosen the boom clamp bolt and take the boom tube off to get to the headset nut on top of the round thing?
...Yes, I took the tube clamp threaded bolt out and raised the tube a little. Mine doesn't lift much due to nearby cabling, but it was enough to get a good hex key fit.
Be sure to use discretion when tightening the the headset bolt because if you overdo it your fork will stiffen. It took me a little trial & error to find the sweet spot but it works!

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Spoke?
Check 'em.
Hub? Bearing? Loose cassette?
Cracked frame?
Cracked fork?
Lube the pinch bolts that hold the TFT together?
Check the handlebar?
Brifters?
Check the spokes.
Look at the wheel rim.
Spoke?
Has anyone mentioned the spokes yet?

benphyr

Guru-me-not
@MrSteve
What's TFT stand for?

I'm pretty sure it is not the boom/slider itself that has been suggested to be lubricated by several posters, but rather the threads of the bolts that fasten the clamps.

And spokes don't have to be broken to make weird sounds, differences in tension or many being loose can still ride fine with decent rims but they make all sorts of noises and exaggerate other noises (e.g. rim brakes rubbing on side load, rubbing on fender, etc.

Best of luck

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I located a creak/tick for both my V20 and S30 at the same spot: the band clamp that connects the boom to the steerer tube. I fixed it on both bikes by taking the band clamp off and running a layer of yellow tubeless rim tape along the inside of the clamp, trimming it flush with an exacto knife. This creates a thin layer between the two metal surfaces of the band clamp and the steerer tube clamp. Your sound might be something else (like a loose spoke), but this was my experience with a sound like what you describe.

billyk

Guru
Spoke?

I seem to remember someone saying this, but they should be mentioned again, if only because they're about the easiest thing to check.

Also note that the click of a loose spoke can be transmitted through the frame and heard/felt throughout the entire bike. Even if you're sure it's the front wheel, it could actually be the rear. Check both.

Postapocalypsia

Spoke?
Check 'em.
Hub? Bearing? Loose cassette?
Cracked frame?
Cracked fork?
Check the handlebar?
Brifters?
Check the spokes.
Look at the wheel rim.
Spoke?
yes you spoke about spokes... as yet I am a bit of a spoke checking novice, I don't know much spokespeak - all I know is to
to give them a bit of a wiggle in turn and I guess a loose one will be obvious. I checked to see if the wheel runs true, all good.
Are there any bespoke (groan) insights into checking spokes more accurately?

Postapocalypsia

@MrSteve
What's TFT stand for?

I'm pretty sure it is not the boom/slider itself that has been suggested to be lubricated by several posters, but rather the threads of the bolts that fasten the clamps.

And spokes don't have to be broken to make weird sounds, differences in tension or many being loose can still ride fine with decent rims but they make all sorts of noises and exaggerate other noises (e.g. rim brakes rubbing on side load, rubbing on fender, etc.

Best of luck
Thanks for that - the most annoying aspect is that I cannot silently overtake other cyclists in glamorous fashion - I have my pet squawk to give me away.
I will keep investigating!

Postapocalypsia

I seem to remember someone saying this, but they should be mentioned again, if only because they're about the easiest thing to check.

Also note that the click of a loose spoke can be transmitted through the frame and heard/felt throughout the entire bike. Even if you're sure it's the front wheel, it could actually be the rear. Check both.
Ok, good advice - thanks

Postapocalypsia

I located a creak/tick for both my V20 and S30 at the same spot: the band clamp that connects the boom to the steerer tube. I fixed it on both bikes by taking the band clamp off and running a layer of yellow tubeless rim tape along the inside of the clamp, trimming it flush with an exacto knife. This creates a thin layer between the two metal surfaces of the band clamp and the steerer tube clamp. Your sound might be something else (like a loose spoke), but this was my experience with a sound like what you describe.
Good tip, I will try that - thanks

danfitz2

Have the same thing with my S40. Drives me bonkers for over a year now. Tightened, loosened, adjusted every nut and bolt I can find. Spokes too. Cant seem to get the noisy snapping issue resolved when putting force on the peddles. Mostly because I can't figure out where it is coming from. Somewhere between my knees to the gears. You can hear me coming 20 yards away. I will try the tape layer at the band clamp at the steer tube to see if this resolves the issue.
The bike otherwise is a blast to ride.

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
Have the same thing with my S40. Drives me bonkers for over a year now. Tightened, loosened, adjusted every nut and bolt I can find. Spokes too. Cant seem to get the noisy snapping issue resolved when putting force on the peddles. Mostly because I can't figure out where it is coming from. Somewhere between my knees to the gears. You can hear me coming 20 yards away. I will try the tape layer at the band clamp at the steer tube to see if this resolves the issue.
The bike otherwise is a blast to ride.
I feel your pain. I just ignore it and consider it as a safety feature now to warn pedestrians. :)