Cruzbike in the Snow

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I want to ride the Cruzbike in the winter which includes significant amounts of salt-always, snow-sometimes, ice-occasionally so any suggestions are welcome.

Which bike/tire combo do you use in all that snow/slush? What did the roads look like as far as surface treatment of snow and/or salt/sand? And how was the traction for you? And how much do you weigh for comparison sake to me at a low-traction 135lbs?

MBB fat bike would be pretty awesome - would need a major upgrade on my balance skills.

Last edited:

The Brook

I rode my Cruzbike Freerider using Schwalbe studded snow tires a few years back (before I broke my leg in a car accident, won't do it anymore, as I'm a little afraid of falling on it now), it was fun, if a little slow, you don't want to go fast on snow covered or icy roads. The conditions going from lightly snow covered, with the occasional icy patches, to bare roads after they were salted. Traction was pretty good, but I used regular pedals, as I would often need to put a foot down when traction would break a little on ice, the bike would slide a little, but never that much, my front wheel has never washed out, my rear only once, I didn't fall because I was able to put my foot down for balance. On bare roads, I could go to about 80% of my regular summer tire riding speed.
At the time, I weighed 220 lbs. I was in my late 50's then.
I have been riding the Freerider since 2008, but stopped the winter riding since my 2015 car accident. I now ride indoors on a trainer in the winter.
Hope this helps,

Denis

attachment.php

If you search, winter riding on this forum several riders have done winter riding with a Cruzbike model.

This winter I commuted until December on my Sofrider. I have often used it all year as a commuter.

It is not ideal but better than I had expected.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have Grand Prix 4000 25mm on 19mm rims. I weigh 175LB, which unfortunately includes about 20LB of belly. Weight helps traction. Snow was about 5cm. Some places had salt and lots of cars and were free of snow. Other places had no salt, very few cars and snow like flour. Almost no trouble. A few wheel-spins, but I got going again. I was trying not to stop, but it was unavoidable. If you do not like wheel-spin, do not stop. This is the condition of the Cruzbiker.

I hate salt. It eats the grease which is impervious to snow or rain. I prefer to ride on snow without salt.

I keep saying I am going to increase my mileage and decrease my belly.