Cruzbike mis-adventures

This could get into a very interesting discussion on resilience in general and vs unpredictable potetially catastrophic events. I have a cousin who has done a lot of work in community resilience in New Zealand, in the Christchurch area following the large eathquakes there a few years back (he's been living there for several years). One of the things he cites strongly is the community support for individuals which is partly gained from places like this in these circumstances.

I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here, as it's all relative, but to me resilience comes down to choices and attitude to some degree. Five years ago, aged 39 I was diagnosed Type 1 diabetic out of the blue, that's it, pancreas borked forever, no going back. Two choices there, roll over and think "why me" or grab it by the balls and take charge. I did the latter and ran a 40 mile ultra marathon 2 months later. Resilience to me has a lot to with recognising the curent situation, acknowledging that it's not what you want, and then working out how to resolve it. That resolution includes outside help such as the medical profession and in my current case painkillers - you're not a hard man to live with pain, you're just stupid. Same with depression or other mental illness, it's not weakness to admit it and get treatment.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
In some cases, there is no solution and no cure. Is this an excuse? I would get fitter if I went uphill faster on the bike, but my lungs will not let me. Maybe I should do weight-lifting.

Resilience to me is bounce-back-ability. Examples I'd cite would be currently Robert Kubica in F1 - nearly lost an arm in a crash, has no more than about 80% fucntionality but is now back in a car for next year, or a young driver over here, Billy Monger, lost both legs in a horrific crash, managed to get the rules changed and is now back in single seater racing. It's not about necessarily doing what you could beforehand in exactly the same way, it's more about not giving in/giving up. Just look at those tales of survival against the odds that you see now and then.

In my case, with current technology my pancreas will never be cured, I have accepted that and adapted to the best I can. Can I do what I did before, perhaps not, bt that doesn't change my effort whe I do.

McWheels

Off the long run
No doubt the psychology affects us all, near miss or actual event. What'll be interesting is how you measure your reaction to other cars (even in a car) over the next month or so. If you're processing the mental injury then you'll still feel it, but it won't have quite the same effect.
We call it TRiM in my line of work, Trauma Risk Management. There's even a questionnaire if we sit down and have an interview. What matters is not your absolute answers the first time, but how or if they've changed second time round, which is usually a minimum of a fortnight or longer. You should definitely talk the whole chain of events through with someone, and then do it again.
You sound like you want to process it, so you probably will. Even if not, it's pretty clear you're aware of the right way to approach it, so there's the backup plan.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Feeling sorry for yourself being the victim guess who don’t sue all leads to being unhappy.

As ElyDave intimates “ grab it by the balls” and move forward.

Pretty sure most cruzbike riders would be a resilient bunch and share many good traits based purely on brand choice. Lol.

You know it makes sense.

Marketing campaigns your way

No doubt the psychology affects us all, near miss or actual event. What'll be interesting is how you measure your reaction to other cars (even in a car) over the next month or so. If you're processing the mental injury then you'll still feel it, but it won't have quite the same effect.
We call it TRiM in my line of work, Trauma Risk Management. There's even a questionnaire if we sit down and have an interview. What matters is not your absolute answers the first time, but how or if they've changed second time round, which is usually a minimum of a fortnight or longer. You should definitely talk the whole chain of events through with someone, and then do it again.
You sound like you want to process it, so you probably will. Even if not, it's pretty clear you're aware of the right way to approach it, so there's the backup plan.

Your line of work? Either military or emergency services?

Yes, processing it is critical I think, and I've had a lot of both support and discussion at work (including another keen cyclist) and online and all the market traders I visit every week when I go shopping - quite a local community here.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Your line of work? Either military or emergency services?

Yes, processing it is critical I think, and I've had a lot of both support and discussion at work (including another keen cyclist) and online and all the market traders I visit every week when I go shopping - quite a local community here.

Great to hear . Loosening the squirrel grip of those “balls” with every day that passes. Back on the bike in no time.

Planning my first ride today, had two turbo sessions so far and the hip is passable - still slightly sore, but the lower back is more of an issue. Will see how it holds up over half an hour on the road. Wil make it low key, wo't even change into cycling gear.

The Cruzbike remains off the road, so will be riding my runabout.

Hopefully your S40 is road worthily before long! Great to hear you are back on the bike. It won’t be long until you are ready for an audax ;)

Passed on an audax last weekend, the back is just not quite there yet. Next planned one is in three weeks.

And to top it all, someone, looking like an unisured driver went into the side of my car the week before Christmas, decided to pull out from a side road when he had absolutely no chance of making it. It's a Land Rover, so a mere scratch, but plenty of damage to the other car :)

So the Feb Audax passed.

March 16th - 108km, plus riding to/from rail stations at either end had me at 150km for the day :cool:

April 6th - 106km Audax as two loops of 65 and 40km. Drove to that one as a bit too far away. About 45km in, my back started hurting, then left hip, then right hip, and it was cold and crappy weather. Cue my first Audax DNF, back to HQ at 65km, cup of coffee and cake, and that was it. I COULD have completed, but that doesnt mean I SHOULD have, I know my back would have been griping all week afterwards. It may have been the cold getting into my joints - only 5C max, or just a bit too much having had a swim day, 2 x runs, 5km walk and two travel days in the previous week. :mad:

Not back on the cruzbike yet, still waiting for the police to sort their act out and decide on prosecution, followed by the lawyers. I'm now passed the point of patience and have bought parts off my own back, plus e-mailed Robert Holler about the CB specific parts. I think I'd have been much happier last saturday on a recumbent, so while I wait to get the CB back on the road, I've also bought three new chains for the M5, not sure how I'll manage with a fixed boom bike

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Glad to see reports of you riding. Sorry to hear of all the delays. Wishing you an accelerated healing both of the body and of the Cruzbike - One Whole unit.

Back on the M5 Recumbent for now, rechained that while waiting for Robert to get back to me on parts. M5 is riding nicely, but it's not a CB uphill and you can hear the chain drag slowing you down.

The lady who drove into me was prosecuted, case was last week for the initial plea. I didn't have to go, so not sure yet what happened, but I sent in my victim statement. Basically fracture is OK, but soft tissue still f~@#ed and needing physio every couple of weeks. Started doing some strengthening as well as stretching now, which of itself is not a bad thing but as you start loading up the back more and more, it tends to react, so it's a case of not just adding in strenght but also re-educating your muscles that have been relatively idle for months. I'll call the police re the outcome later this week

jond

Zen MBB Master
Yes thanks indeed for the update. Progress forward on all fronts. Slow but in the right direction. Keep at it.