Cruzbike v2/K

wroundey

I just picked up a used V2/K and I can not find out much if anything about the bike. I would greatly appreciate any info

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Post a photo or two (I'll bump your status so you can without making 10 posts) and then we can help you

wroundey

Here are some photos on my V2/K

Attachments

• IMG_8403.JPG
    IMG_8403.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8404.JPG
    IMG_8404.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_8405.JPG
    IMG_8405.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8406.JPG
    IMG_8406.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8407.JPG
    IMG_8407.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 21

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Sofrider was the first commercially-available Cruzbike (aside from the conversion kit, which did not include a frame). As the availability of suitable Y-frame mountain bikes on which to install the kit got worse, the V2/K frame was introduced to give converters something to use the conversion kit with. As the name implies, it was a Version 2 Sofrider frame (Version 2/Kit), off the Sofrider assembly line, painted white instead of silver or blue. The Sofrider fork was not made available, which is why your bike has a conventional fork (which is installed backwards in the photos, by the way - fork rake should point to the rear to preserve the proper trail dimension for best steering). This was a time of very rapid product development for Cruzbike. Development of the Quest followed very rapidly behind the V2/K. Then Silvio 1.5, then Silvio 2.0, 2.1, and the Vendetta overlapped several of these. In effect, each series followed its own development path and timeline, so there is some overlap.

Attachments

• DSCN1222.jpg
    DSCN1222.jpg
    404.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN1279.jpg
    DSCN1279.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 5
  • FrameForKitBuuilderDSCN1219.jpg
    FrameForKitBuuilderDSCN1219.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 4
  • SR23_clean_side_1772.jpg
    SR23_clean_side_1772.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3933.jpg
    IMG_3933.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3934.jpg
    IMG_3934.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Sofrider was the first commercially-available Cruzbike (aside from the conversion kit, which did not include a frame). As the availability of suitable Y-frame mountain bikes on which to install the kit got worse, the V2/K frame was introduced to give converters something to use the conversion kit with. As the name implies, it was a Version 2 Sofrider frame (Version 2/Kit), off the Sofrider assembly line, painted white instead of silver or blue. The Sofrider fork was not made available, which is why your bike has a conventional fork (which is installed backwards in the photos, by the way - fork rake should point to the rear to preserve the proper trail dimension for best steering). This was a time of very rapid product development for Cruzbike. Development of the Quest followed very rapidly behind the V2/K. Then Silvio 1.5, then Silvio 2.0, 2.1, and the Vendetta overlapped several of these. In effect, each series followed its own development path and timeline, so there is some overlap.
Super great history lesson Doug - I'll put this in the "History of Cruzbike" doc for sure!

wroundey

So I need to reverse my fork - that will put the cantilever brake bosses on the back side of the fork and require reversing the brake cable as well.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
So I need to reverse my fork - that will put the cantilever brake bosses on the back side of the fork and require reversing the brake cable as well.
That' shouldn't be very difficult. The brake cable is probably long enough to cross over. If your brake pads are directional, you might need to swap them.

The reason the axle slots in the triangle brackets that hold the wheel are long is to allow you to move the wheel fore-aft as needed to align the rim brake surfaces to the caliper.

I think you'll be pleased with the increase in stability at speeds above 12 mph or so...

Lemme know if you run into issues.

Attachments

• V2K-Citybike1.jpg
    V2K-Citybike1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 6

wroundey

I just tried reversing my fork and there is NO WAY that I can position the crank unit so that the wheel even come anywhere close to being able to use the brakes. As I look at the photos, it looks like I need a fork with straight blades

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi,

I'm sorry you're having difficulties I might have inspired. Lemme try to help. You're going through things I went through a lot building conversion bikes.

As is visible in your photos, the triangle bracket, where it attaches to the fork dropouts, has three holes. These are also intended to help you line up the brake shoes with the rim. Moving to one of the holes closer to the axle shaft may help this problem.

I'm willing to work with you one-on-one to sort this out. The improvement in handling will likely be worth it.

Just let me know what you need.

Best,

Doug

McWheels

Off the long run
20160310_2005241.jpg20201004_1728021.jpg20160313_222221.jpg

These might help, from my build posts, and then subsequent sales photos. I haven't quite worked out how to add images from my profile media gallery, but if you click on my avatar and keep looking there ought to be a few more. I didn't cock around with the forks, whether to deliberately reverse them or otherwise, so I'd have to take advice on what position they're in. But this worked quite nicely all told.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 15156View attachment 15158View attachment 15157

These might help, from my build posts, and then subsequent sales photos. I haven't quite worked out how to add images from my profile media gallery, but if you click on my avatar and keep looking there ought to be a few more. I didn't cock around with the forks, whether to deliberately reverse them or otherwise, so I'd have to take advice on what position they're in. But this worked quite nicely all told.
Nice machine.

This appears to have one of the later, non-suspension Cruzbike forks, which makes everything a lot easier.

The challenge is that those are made largely of unobtainium these days. I have a few that I guard jealously. They are the key to the older bikes.

Trying to get the OP sorted with what he's got.

Notice you have a front disc brake and internal gear hub. Things that the Cruzbike fork make possible.

Nice bike.