Custom S40 Steerstopper Receiver

egervaswatson

20200724_083943.jpg
Fig. 1: The finished product.

A little over a year ago, I invested in a Steerstopper for my S40. It's a well-designed device, but not designed for a Cruzbike. The receivers are all more or less intended for a cylindrical top tube, and don't interface well with the main beam on the S40. That said, I limped along with it. I performed the sphincter-clenching operation of drilling a hole in the S40's frame to install a threaded insert, 3D-printed a little shim to conform the underside of their 1¼" receiver a little more closely to the Cruzbike's flat surface, and...it worked okay.
untitled-5066.jpg
Fig.2: The OEM steerstopper receiver.

For starters, I drilled the hole slightly too far back, so the receiver was holding the ball tip of the steerstopper rather tenuously. More to the point, though, the rather narrow profile of the receiver and mismatched interface shape meant that it wanted to twist a bit if any torque was placed on the front wheel or boom, with inadequate stabilization around both the axis of the top tube and the bolt holding it in place.

The final straw was when my bike fell over the other day and broke the receiver. That's hardly the manufacturer's fault; that was a lot of torque. But it meant I could either shell out for another compromise, or make something better.
Capture.PNG
Fig. 3: The 3D model

I designed it to conform to the S40's top tube's cross-section, with more stabilization to prevent rotation around the previously mentioned troublesome axes. I also designed it to acommodate my slightly misplaced threaded insert, and have more relaxed tolerances overall in that regard.

20200724_084406.jpg
Fig 4: Installed.

I printed it in extremely tough but somewhat pliable nylon, with slightly thicker walls than the original to make up for 3D printed plastic's lower strength compared to machined or injection molded parts. I also accounted for the anisotropic nature of 3D printed parts and oriented the layers for maximum strength.

I suspect this receiver may be weaker in real terms than the original, but the reduction in materials strength is more than made up for by eliminating the design compromises that hindered the original.

20200724_084425.jpg
Fig. 5: Another angle.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
View attachment 9770
Fig. 1: The finished product.

A little over a year ago, I invested in a Steerstopper for my S40. It's a well-designed device, but not designed for a Cruzbike. The receivers are all more or less intended for a cylindrical top tube, and don't interface well with the main beam on the S40. That said, I limped along with it. I performed the sphincter-clenching operation of drilling a hole in the S40's frame to install a threaded insert, 3D-printed a little shim to conform the underside of their 1¼" receiver a little more closely to the Cruzbike's flat surface, and...it worked okay.
View attachment 9772
Fig.2: The OEM steerstopper receiver.

For starters, I drilled the hole slightly too far back, so the receiver was holding the ball tip of the steerstopper rather tenuously. More to the point, though, the rather narrow profile of the receiver and mismatched interface shape meant that it wanted to twist a bit if any torque was placed on the front wheel or boom, with inadequate stabilization around both the axis of the top tube and the bolt holding it in place.

The final straw was when my bike fell over the other day and broke the receiver. That's hardly the manufacturer's fault; that was a lot of torque. But it meant I could either shell out for another compromise, or make something better.
View attachment 9775
Fig. 3: The 3D model

I designed it to conform to the S40's top tube's cross-section, with more stabilization to prevent rotation around the previously mentioned troublesome axes. I also designed it to acommodate my slightly misplaced threaded insert, and have more relaxed tolerances overall in that regard.

View attachment 9773
Fig 4: Installed.

I printed it in extremely tough but somewhat pliable nylon, with slightly thicker walls than the original to make up for 3D printed plastic's lower strength compared to machined or injection molded parts. I also accounted for the anisotropic nature of 3D printed parts and oriented the layers for maximum strength.

I suspect this receiver may be weaker in real terms than the original, but the reduction in materials strength is more than made up for by eliminating the design compromises that hindered the original.

View attachment 9774
Fig. 5: Another angle.
I have a steerstopper on my Silvio S2.1 with the bracket only touching on the outer edges!!! See photo

2020-07-25 13.22.12.jpg

Could you please attach a STL file, so I could print your bracket in clear PETG.

I installed my SteerStopper today. First I filed down the Delrin receiver to fit the S40 frame. An M6 rivet nut was crimped into the hole (I nervously drilled) with some J B Weld for extra strength and corrosion protection. I added some clear silicone caulk, again for strength and protection. I think I’ll be more likely to use it than the strap I carry with my Vendetta. BD591D1D-EEAC-4155-98D6-271111CECA81.jpeg 557FC03B-14E2-4EA7-A508-E3E3C56D2685.jpeg 89A2B2AC-E0B0-46F0-9957-A9AF5149845A.jpeg

Is there a use for this other then when the bike is stationary for easier manouvering? Just curious.
For me, it's just to stabilize the bike for parking.
I use the Voile nylon strap for the V20 because I cut the fork steerer tube too short to fit in a SteerStopper.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Is there a use for this other then when the bike is stationary for easier manouvering? Just curious.
I use it as soon as I get off the bike, so there are no surprises, and the bike goes in a straight line, as it is supposed to!!!!
To turn a corner, I simply lift the back of the bike via the rear head rest tubes.