Dbl chainring

M00se

I ride where there are lots of hills. This week we had 3 climbs of 6 to 9% each a mile long. Thinking of going to a dbl up front to get better climbing gears. Any advice ?

cpml123

Zen MBB Master
I have S40 with double chainring 52/34. Paired with 11/40, it climbs well up to 10-12%. I can't go any slower than 5mph, so that's about as low gear as I can have.

As I understand it, yes. If you want smaller chainrings and larger cassettes, you want MTB components..

I’m also considering switching to a 2x. I have a stock 2022 Q45. I could climb every hill on the hardest hilly route that I know. Did I want a few lower gears, yes. Did I NEED them, no. I suspect that it will become less and less of an issue, the more that I ride. I’m definitely getting stronger, learning new techniques and building my cardio. I will probably upgrade to 2x, if I ride steeper/longer hills or ride much dirt/gravel.

Do I need to keep this in the mountain bike components?
You’re right about incompatibility. SRAM’s road bikes use “Exact Actuation” (Road 10 & 11sp, Mtn 10sp) is 3.1mm while X Actuation (Mtn 11sp) is 3.48mm.
On my S40 I have mountain bike shifters & brakes mounted to a Soma Gator handle bar. Ergon GP2 grips. It’s possible to use SRAM’s road brifters if you add a JTek Shiftmate 9 to get compatibility, but the shifting feels sloppy. I have no problems using the Force (road) front derailleur and road bike chainrings with the mountain bike shifter.

An alternative hack exists (but I can’t vouch for it):
The secret is the cable fin. That’s SRAM’s name for the small curved cable guide that directs the derailleur wire into the pinch bolt. That simple & replaceable part on all modern SRAM MTB & CX 1x rear derailleurs also happens to determines the cable pull, and swapping it can convert a regular X-Horizon Eagle MTB derailleur into an 1:1 Exact Actuation Eagle road pull derailleur.

Merczak73

I have gone the SRAM AXS route with a double chainring setup. I have a 46/33 chainring up front and a 10-33 cassette in the back. Love it. I have yet to find a grade that I cannot climb. I really like the extra oomph on the downhills as I was spinning out, at times, with the stock 1x gearing.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Here is what I consider the best solution: Schlumpf mountain drive (20/50) with 11(11-42) cassette:

View attachment 15802 (speed in km/h)

I have not build this yet.
What you'll find in the mountain drive if you build it; is the losses are huge in the hill gearing; to the point that the lowest 33% will feel really "spongy" which is why it never really caught on outside the trike community. I had the HS Drive and the Mountain drive on a Catrike 700 for quite awhile and while I could climb a wall with the mountain drive I avoided it like the plague because it I wound up pedaling squares. YMMV

Margo

What you'll find in the mountain drive if you build it; is the losses are huge in the hill gearing; to the point that the lowest 33% will feel really "spongy" which is why it never really caught on outside the trike community. I had the HS Drive and the Mountain drive on a Catrike 700 for quite awhile and while I could climb a wall with the mountain drive I avoided it like the plague because it I wound up pedaling squares. YMMV
Thanks, Bob, for this insight.
I was going to call Habestock today. But you are saying I would be happier with a double or tripple chain ring.
Right?

Too bad there is no 3 x 11 available.

Marc

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Thanks, Bob, for this insight.
I was going to call Habestock today. But you are saying I would be happier with a double or tripple chain ring.
Right?

Too bad there is no 3 x 11 available.

Marc
Yeah long term, the only schlumpf I was happy with was the highspeed drive that gave 1:1 in low and 2.5x1 in high, and in high, you didn't notice the losses.

Looking at your ratio's I think you'd get the most out of a 44 or 46 on the front and a 9x50 on the back..... Ditch the front derailleur all together. 44x50 is walking speed.

IF you wait until Saturday the build diary for the v20c should be getting to those discussions.