derailleur hanger? And don't knock your derailler!

evblazer

Just wondering if anyone has ordered one or if I'll be hunting one of those all hanger sites or the LBS. Tonights brief ride went well on my Sofrider V1 Prototype Model after a hill climb I hit the shifter to an easier gear instead of a harder one and then whoops 15 broken spokes at 25mph.
BrokenSpokesCruzbike1.jpg

BrokenSpokesCruzbike2.jpg

BrokenSpokesCruzbike3.jpg

I may buy a rear wheel replacement and make sure to have a chain/spoke protector which is sadly what I was on my way to do along with pickup some bar tape to wrap my wtb bars.

The derailleur hanger is a soft aluminum alloy that can be bent or pressed flat again. (Be gentle if you try to pound it out with a hammer & keep away from the threads.) As you suspect, replacement hangers are available for order on line at a number of derailleur hanger retailers, like Wheels Manufacturing, for instance. I'm sorry, I don't remember the part number offhand.

WhiteSilvio

evblazer wrote: I may buy a rear wheel replacement and make sure to have a chain/spoke protector which is sadly what I was on my way to do along with pickup some bar tape to wrap my wtb bars.
Hi evblazer,
Hope you didn't suffer any personal injury during this incident. 25mph isn't particularly slow. Never seen anything quite so damaging to one side of a set of spokes.
My LBS, and "serious roadies", seem to be a bit adverse to using the spoke/chain protector, probably adds 15 or 20 grams, but I have always had one. But fortunately the chain jumping off on the inside like that is a very rare event.......thankfully.
Seems to be a matter of getting the inner stop of the derailleur "just so", so the chain will derail onto the biggest cog, but not overshoot and jump into the gap between inner sprocket and spokes.(Stating the obvious? 20-20 hindsight.) Sometimes I suspect that rough roads can jump the chain whilst a change is happening. Was the road bumpy/rough?

Hope you get back on the road soon, and safe riding.
John R.

evblazer

Two more pics now that the cassette is off. I think it shaved a little weight all around the hub so might be an option if your trying to shave off the last few grams or something.
BrokenSpokesCruzbike4.JPG

Took a good bite out of one part
BrokenSpokesCruzbike5.jpg

I actually had the stops set so the bike would barely not let me shift into the megarange (32?) gear. I think I knocked and bent the derrailiuer locking it up, walking it through a door or leaning it against something as it looked pretty scratched up and had a hard angle into the spokes at the jockey wheels but whether that was before or after I'm not sure.

The road did have some serious cobble sections that I hadn't hit before I shifted but the shift didn't go right away and then I was in the cobbles when I was stopped but don't recall if the chain dove before or after.

The stop was pretty quick I think and luckily I was going completely straight with no traffic around at the time. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do at the moment. I don't trust the hub in it's current condition and the wheel was lightweight to begin with. I'd love an alfine hub but I'll be waiting a while to find/build one cheap. I may stop by the LBS to see if they have a tough 26" rear for cheap because if I leave it too long I'll probably just shelve it and ride my hurricane that gets 90% of the ride time still.

Edit: Hm actually I think I saw mention in the FAQ somewhere of a 700c wheel working but don't know if that applies to older sofriders. I have an old touring bike I might just grab the wheelset off of there and try it.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
700c wheels will fit even the earliest Sofrider forks (mine is from an Interbike '06 prototype, with 700c disc wheels fitted).

You'll need to use either disc brakes or a road caliper for front brakes, and a road caliper for the rear. You'll need to use cantilever brake levers to get the correct brake cable pull and mechanical advantage for the road calipers.

They should perform just fine.

Gromit

Guru
evblazer wrote: I'd love an alfine hub but I'll be waiting a while to find/build one cheap.
I highly recommend the Shimano Alfine hub gear. I have an Alfine 8 on my front wheel drive recumbent bike. Shifts are really smooth and it is brilliant being able to shift to any gear when stopped. The well-known bike designer who built my bike used the twist grip shifter off the Nexus 8 rather than the Alfine RapidFire thumb shifter. Why have to click down through the gears one by one after a sudden stop when you can just twist quickly to the one which you need? Alternative hub gears are the SRAM i-Motion 9 which is used on the Cruzbike Sigma, the 14 speed Rohloff and the Sturmey Archer 8 speed. A Shimano Alfine 11 speed is coming soon.
JonB on here has fitted a second-hand Rohloff to his Freerider. He got a sweet deal. Lucky man! :)

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote:
evblazer wrote: I'd love an alfine hub but I'll be waiting a while to find/build one cheap.
I highly recommend the Shimano Alfine hub gear. I have an Alfine 8 on my front wheel drive recumbent bike. Shifts are really smooth and it is brilliant being able to shift to any gear when stopped. The well-known bike designer who built my bike used the twist grip shifter off the Nexus 8 rather than the Alfine RapidFire thumb shifter. Why have to click down through the gears one by one after a sudden stop when you can just twist quickly to the one which you need? Alternative hub gears are the SRAM i-Motion 9 which is used on the Cruzbike Sigma, the 14 speed Rohloff and the Sturmey Archer 8 speed. A Shimano Alfine 11 speed is coming soon.
JonB on here has fitted a second-hand Rohloff to his Freerider. He got a sweet deal. Lucky man! :)
Yeah, i got it really cheap. I can strongly recommend buying a used Rohloff.

evblazer

I'm right now leaning towards a sturmey archer 8 with a drum brake and using a jtek shifter for it. I've always wanted to try an IGH and a drum so 2 for 1!
I think I'm going to be dissappointed when I confirm I can't get a 135 axle put in a front hub that is either a dynamo or drum brake of theirs, or any other probably, for a new wheel in the back which is too lightweight for me. I could be wrong but right now I'm thinking pessimistically. I might be able to modify the dropouts to come in to a 100 though using both the existing dropout and the two fender holes to mounts an adapter of sorts. At least that way it will allow me to use the wheelset on another 26" bike in the future but it would probably be easier just to use a single speed rear hub.

I tried the 700 off my touring bike and the rim fit in there but is has 35+mm tires and I don't think they were going to fit in there and they wouldn't work with a caliper anyways and the rim is probably too wide for a narrow tire. I'd need new rims, brakes and levers and a disc hub if I went that way so that would still be $$ and would restrict tire size so for me that is out.

Edit: It seems the sturmey was really meant for 20" wheels so that might be out. Maybe I'll just have to get regular sturmeys with drum brakes to try out drums. I'd have to put an IGH on the hurricane as it is my brevet machine and I don't want to try out an IGH on a 400k.

evblazer

After my recent chain disaster I don't think I wanna ask the chain to engage the brakes too of course based on recent results it might want to :oops:

After my pals at the LBS finished laughing at my wheel which I still don't think they believe it was simply the chain falling off and me coming to a stop doing all that damage they set me up with an old stock but sturdy disc wheel a takeoff derrailiur which was an upgrade from the bent up alivio, rim tape, some bar tape I needed and of course a spoke protector for around $120. I also got a nice Avid bb7 185mm for another $50. So not really all that bad. The hanger is actually fine the derrailiur was severly bent.

If I get say 1500 miles on the bike I might pony up for an alfine but until then I just gotta be careful what I lean it against or bang it into trying to walking it through doors and down stairs and checking where the derrailiur goes when I shift it to it's to it's max/min.
Maybe what I needs is one of these.
3097596152_eefb0e33d5.jpg

evblazer

Where can I get a rohloff for $4? ;) Ok if you really want to include all the new stuff which is really an upgrade to the lightweight wheel I had $174.

I don't think I even have 174 miles on the cruz compared to 6k on the hurricane last year which was really only a half year of riding due to injury. I'm fighting the urge to call the cruz a moneypit but I have spend 2x+ more overall on it then the hurricane. I don't not like it but it took an awful lot of effort/time/$ to get it sorta setup and it is very finicky for commuting/utility use. I'm still not use to moving it around or parking it with the swing up front though so maybe more time.