derailleur selection

drshuf

I built up my Silvio using parts from my existing roadbike. The front derailleur is Shimano Tiagra and the rear is 105 (not sure why they weren't matched on the original). I put on an extended cassette 11-34 to help deal with the hills here. The components are working ok, but they just can't seem to be adjusted to get really smooth shifting without alot of noise and some erratic shifting, especially under load.
I like the brifters and am wondering if there is a set of derailleurs which can use the shimano brifters and still accommodate the extended cassette. If not, what system would you suggest.
Notwithstanding the rough shifting, I'm loving the silvio!
Thanks
Reid

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Is most of the noise from the "rear", or front? Is the 105 derailleur a long cage one, and is the chain slack at any point in the shifting?

When the rear derailleur is shifted into the lowest gear (largest cog) is the derailleur idler cage nearly parallel to the chainstays?

I've heard of tandems using 11-34 cassettes with Shimano brifters. Shimano derailleurs are compatible, 9sp to 9sp road to MTB, although Shimano is extremely conservative in their compatibility recommendations, and frequently indicates a shifter will only work with a certain deralleur. 10sp you may have issues getting a long enough cage derailleur (they're all road stuff, as far as I know, and consequently have short to medium cages). Sometimes 9sp RD's have enough extra range to span an extra cog. This is generally not so on Campy stuff. (resisting the urge to say "ask me how I know")

Sometimes clickety shifting occurs because the cables are bound up and the friction overcomes the spring force in the derailleur. This is easy to achieve with cables taped to the handlebar.

Just a few things to consider...

Best,

drshuf

When I go to the largest gear in the back, the rear derailleur is too close to the gear and makes a weird noise. I have the "b" adjustment screw all the way in and it still has the problem. On the front the chain rubs when I am on the largest ring and move up to the mid range gears (4 and 5).
Occasionally, the chain feels like it is skipping on the gears as well.
The cassette is a 9 speed and the brifters are 9 speed. So are you saying I can get a shimano 9 speed rear mtb derailleur and it should work?
Thanks
Reid

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
drshuf wrote: When I go to the largest gear in the back, the rear derailleur is too close to the gear and makes a weird noise. I have the "b" adjustment screw all the way in and it still has the problem. On the front the chain rubs when I am on the largest ring and move up to the mid range gears (4 and 5).
Occasionally, the chain feels like it is skipping on the gears as well.
The cassette is a 9 speed and the brifters are 9 speed. So are you saying I can get a shimano 9 speed rear mtb derailleur and it should work?
Thanks
Reid

I think that's correct. My Santana tandem has Ultegra brifters and a mountain bike rear derailleur.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
I found a new Ultegra long cage derailler that works well.The Deore LX worked ok also. That was with the 11-32 im now using 11-25.Rear shifting has been great. Jack

drshuf

Thanks all,
Took it out for a 15 mile spin this AM with way too much trouble in the derailleurs. Took it straight to the bike shop and they are installing deore rear derailler as we speak. Also found out that there was something wrong with the front derailleur cable which they are replacing.
Anxious to get a nice smooth shifting quiet bike!