Desperate Help for Fit Issues

Terrarium

I can't get rid of my left foot arch pain, also after 5 miles of riding it feels like my pedal pressure shifts from the ball of my foot to the outside of my foot. For boom length, my heel safely hits the pedal when i stretch it out (pedals is at about 4 o'clock give or take). I'm riding spd-sls with the cleats fit so there is a slight toe out, otherwise all the way back. Shoes fit great and I'm using the solestar kontrol insole. I'm desperate for an answer, i can only ride 10 miles without having to quit. I tried pedal extenders, with 2 insoles but found that only made things worse. I'm really at my wits end.

@Maria Parker @Robert Holler - Can you help me out of this one?

Last edited:

Art G

I've been a cyclist for over 50 years and I've heard lots of complaints from other cyclists about various pains but never in the feet. I'd be surprised if this is anything that can be fixed with fit adjustments. Go see a Podiatrist ASAP

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I can't get rid of my left foot arch pain, also after 5 miles of riding it feels like my pedal pressure shifts from the ball of my foot to the outside of my foot. For boom length, my heel safely hits the pedal when i stretch it out (pedals is at about 4 o'clock give or take). I'm riding spd-sls with the cleats fit so there is a slight toe out, otherwise all the way back. Shoes fit great and I'm using the solestar kontrol insole. I'm desperate for an answer, i can only ride 10 miles without having to quit. I tried pedal extenders, with 2 insoles but found that only made things worse. I'm really at my wits end.

@Maria Parker @Robert Holler - Can you help me out of this one?
Try midfoot cleats and shorten the boom to match. Maybe it might help. Just maybe.

Terrarium

I've been a cyclist for over 50 years and I've heard lots of complaints from other cyclists about various pains but never in the feet. I'd be surprised if this is anything that can be fixed with fit adjustments. Go see a Podiatrist ASAP
Well, I guess thanks for confirming my own internal dialogue. Is this the end of riding?

I have experienced foot pain on longer rides and I know many others that have as well. Cleat position (forward-back and rotational) can play a significant role. Shoe fit is also a consideration - both too tight and too loose can be issues. Also the pedal float can be an issue. I'm not sure what the experts say but my legs prefer either neutral or a bit of toe-in and several degrees of float. Are you using the yellow SPD-SL cleats? They have the most float and are more forgiving of slight misalignments.

If you can get your hands on some mountain pedals and cleats it may be informative to give those a try and see what happens.

I prefer the Crank Brothers candy pedals with the Crank Brothers Thee Hole Cleats. These cleats will bolt right up to your current shoes because they use the same mounting pattern as the SPD-SL cleats. One caution - For walking these cleats are a little slicker than that SPD-SL.

SPD (not the SL) will also work.

Here are links to the CB peals and cleats: CB Candy 1 at Amazon CB Three Hole Cleats

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
thanks @LarryOz and @ak-tux, when im computing boom length for mid cleat position do i still just stick to heel to pedal style or what?
To get a measurement - sit in the seat as you would to ride - then push the pedal to it maximum reach, and then put your heal on the pedal - as this would also be the max pedal extension when you are clipped in at the mid-foot position. Then shorten it about 1/2" so you leg would not be fully extended as that would lead to over-extension of you knee and associated knee pain while pedaling

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
thanks @LarryOz and @ak-tux, when im computing boom length for mid cleat position do i still just stick to heel to pedal style or what?
As @LarryOz said, the boom position will be slightly shorter than what is considered normal for the usual "cleat-over-ball-of-the-foot" position.

You will have to refine it with feel. For me, I took side pictures of my self and estimated the knee angle when the pedal is furthest from me.
1656317527683-png.13363

You can also have a look at this thread: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/optimizing-fit-eliminate-recumbutt-hot-foot.14642

Last edited:

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
As @LarryOz said, the boom position will be slightly shorter than what is considered normal for the usual "cleat-over-ball-of-the-foot" position.

You will have to refine it with feel. For me, I took side pictures of my self and estimated the knee angle when the pedal is furthest from me.
1656317527683-png.13363

You can also have a look at this thread: https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/optimizing-fit-eliminate-recumbutt-hot-foot.14642
Nice! I just finished a fit video for the V20C that talks about this type of alignment - not related to the foot issue but more in discussion of the tiller length. It will be on the Cruzbike YouTube channel probably in a few weeks.

Terrarium

1656317527683-png.13363

Got you, I got my podiatrist appt next week and the cleat adapters are in the mail. Thanks for getting at me with some guidance.

Terrarium

Nice! I just finished a fit video for the V20C that talks about this type of alignment - not related to the foot issue but more in discussion of the tiller length. It will be on the Cruzbike YouTube channel probably in a few weeks.
Is the guidance on S40 still 151 deg tho?

@LarryOz @ak-tux - All better now after seeing the podiatrist, the midfoot cleat position with the adapter seemed to make it worse though so my cleat position is at the ball of my foot now. I understand midfoot position increases power transfer, but are there comfort issues you guys were trying to remedy with the mid foot position?

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Is the guidance on S40 still 151 deg tho?

@LarryOz @ak-tux - All better now after seeing the podiatrist, the midfoot cleat position with the adapter seemed to make it worse though so my cleat position is at the ball of my foot now. I understand midfoot position increases power transfer, but are there comfort issues you guys were trying to remedy with the mid foot position?
Glad your have found a solution.

The midfoot cleat is primarily supposed to solve feet numbness (a.k.a "hotfoot", hot spots, Mortons Neuroma e.t.c.) that may occur when pressure is put on the nerves at the ball of the foot. Not everyone experiences "hotfoot" though. As an added benefit, ( for which I have no scientific proof), midfoot cleats are said to improve endurance in long events.

For me , I experienced hot foot while riding in a recumbent position. But I did not have the same problem on my upright bike.
I tried many solutions, (modified insoles, larger shoes .e.tc.) but the problem only truly went away after I changed to a mid-foot cleat postion.

Last edited:

Terrarium

Glad your have found a solution.

The midfoot cleat is primarily supposed to solve feet numbness (a.k.a "hotfoot", hot spots, Mortons Neuroma e.t.c.) that may occur when pressure is put on the nerves at the ball of the foot. Not everyone experiences "hotfoot" though. As an added benefit, ( for which I have no scientific proof), midfoot cleats are said to improve endurance in long events.

For me , I experienced hot foot while riding in a recumbent position. But I did not have the same problem on my upright bike.
I tried many solutions, (modified insoles, larger shoes .e.tc.) but the problem only truly went away after I changed to a mid-foot cleat postion.
Hey - you were right. I started having knee issues with my cleats all the way forward. Mid foot seems to keep my foot in a state where it’s not engaging my knee in unnecessary ways. My boom length has also increased by almost 2 inches since I wrote this post.