Di2 on my Silvio

eannicholls

Hi All ,

I just put Ultegra Di2 on my Silvio.

The shifting is just "seamlesslessly" Awesome. Riding uphill is also smoother as gear changing doesn't cause "momentum" loss.

The Guy at my local bike shop has been looking after it for 12 months and was just so good at putting it on and was up to the challenge.

I can post some pics if you are interested.

Ean

fthills

Awesome!!!
+2 request for

Awesome!!!

+2 request for pics .

And a question , can it be programmed to work with any casette ? As in any brand and any number of cogs. ?

Ted

+3 Request for Pics

Ean,

Would be great to see some pictures, including where/how you mounted the battery.

Though you "just put it on", have you had a chance to get some idea as to the actual time between battery charges and/or miles/km between charges?

It is my understanding, after research, that it (the Shimano Ultegra Di2) requires Shimano 6700 series components and will only work with a double chain ring. Did you already have the Ultegra assembly pack?

Do you have some idea as to the actual weight difference between the mechanical system you took off and the electronic version you put on? In one of my previous posts, I incorrectly stated the Di2 would add an additional 4-5 lbs to the bike. This is obviously incorrect, as the Di2 REPLACES the mechanical system, it doesn't add to it.

Ted

eannicholls

Ok the pic is attached.
Its

Ok the pic is attached.

Its pretty obvious where everything is except the battery (which you can just see a hint of, at the left underseat bottle cage housing).

I made sure the bike shop guy knew to allow for adjustment to the bike and also allowiung for rotation of the the front segment of the bike at rest.

" And a question , can it be programmed to work with any casette ?"

I'm not an expert but would think only Shimano (and maybe SRam) 10 speed cassettes

"Though you "just put it on", have you had a chance to get some idea as to the actual time between battery charges and/or miles/km between charges? "

Shimano quote 1000km . It depends on shifting patterns. If you shift alot especially front chain ring then it may vary(that motor uses the most juice). It's a lithium Ion battery. The front chain ring stops shifting first when your battery is getting low. Also you can check the battery state of charge on the control thingy.

"Do you have some idea as to the actual weight difference between the mechanical system you took off and the electronic version you put on".

I had SRam Rival so I am not sure but would think DI 2 Ultegra would be lighter. The brakes are also superior in my view .

fthills

That is just too cool.
Great

That is just too cool.

Great setup !!
shades_smile.gif

Crazy cool riding pants
shades_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

Blindingly fantastic shoes
shades_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif

And a curious garden gnome looking on in admiration !!! ( click on the pic to get an expanded view, gnome is mid boom )

Ted

Blinded by the ...

Blinded by the .... Di2?? What's that?? Who Cares?? All I want is a pair of those cool
shades_smile.gif
crazzee
tounge_smile.gif
riding pants
regular_smile.gif
! Boots definitely aren't plain vanilla either
regular_smile.gif
!

Seriously, thanks Ean! It looks GREAT! It is so tempting ...
thumbs_up.gif
devil_smile.gif
alt="no"
thumbs_down.gif title="no
regular_smile.gif
!

You said, "The brakes are also superior in my view." Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the Ultegra mechanical brakes are superior to the SRam Rival brakes that you, presumably, had on before? From what I've read about the Di2, it just controls the front & rear deraileurs, not the brakes too.

Ted

Ted

Also meant to ask ...

Also meant to ask ...

I'm assuming those two red cylinders at the top of the boom are your headlights? Never seen anything quite like those. What can you tell us about them? Make? Model? What's been your experience with them? You must like them or they wouldn't be on your Silvio ...

Thanks.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
David Lee Roth Called...

...and he wants his pants back. Just kidding. Nice to see a pic of the Di2 setup. I've ridden it and while it works, I am still ok with with the typical mechanical method of cables and shifters. Of course I have 7 speed down tube shifters on my bike, so I may be a bit behind the times.

eannicholls

Thanks for all your comments

Thanks for all your comments .

The pants are loud and they are defeet oversocks over my shoes. They keep your feet warm as we are just going into a spring after a cold winter.

Q. "You said, "The brakes are also superior in my view." Not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying the Ultegra mechanical brakes are superior to the SRam Rival brakes that you, presumably, had on before?
A. Yes in my view

Q.From what I've read about the Di2, it just controls the front & rear deraileurs, not the brakes too."
A. Yes the both are cabled brakes

Q. I'm assuming those two red cylinders at the top of the boom are your headlights? Never seen anything quite like those. What can you tell us about them? Make? Model? What's been your experience with them? You must like them or they wouldn't be on your Silvio ..."
A. They are AYUP lights if you have alook at http://www.ayup-lights.com/ you will see them. I have acouple of friends who have got some really good lights which are considerably cheaper and just as bright if not brighter.