Diet: Low Carb and Ultra Cycling

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I eat a lot of eggs on this diet. A friend pointed to me that my cholesterol level would be high so now with my three eggs omelette I just have the whites of the eggs and one egg yolk.

Guess I am getting a little too dedicated!

Itripper

What is some good reading material for the LCHF diet? I am very familiar with Atkins diet but have not read up on the newer trends in low carb. Also what are some typical HF foods you eat?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, and Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD.
  • The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable by Jeff Volek, PhD, RD, and Stephen Phinney, MD, PhD.
  • The Low-Carb Athlete: The Official Low-Carbohydrate Nutrition Guide for Endurance and Performance Paperback – Bend Greenfield
  • The Ketogenic Cookbook: Nutritious Low-Carb, High-Fat Paleo Meals to Heal Your Body -- Jimmy Moore, Maria Emmerich
  • Primal Endurance: Escape chronic cardio and carbohydrate dependency and become a fat burning beast! - Mark Sisson , Bad Kearns

1happyreader

zen/child method
reading material for the LCHF diet?

kinda technical : The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable
Jeff Volek

Keto Clarity: Your Definitive Guide to the Benefits of a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet
Westman MD

youtube LCHF and look for the NOT flashy presentations at conferences.
typical HF foods you eat?
olives
avacados
Ghee / grass fed butter
coconut oil
non-lean meats ( ribeye, chicken thighs, bacon, liver and other organs)
quality sausage (minimal grain fillers)

ratz

Bacon, steak, salmon, shrimp.
LOL

Veggies: Spinach, green beans, cauliflower, zucchini, lettuce, sweat potatoes, avocados, etc
Fruit: Raspberries, Blueberries, Strawberries
Nuts: Lots oh nuts (no peanuts)
Dairy: Heavy Cream
Coconut and Olive Oil
Proteins as appropriate to balance out the nutrients for the day.

DavidCH

Ok... Got cramp issues and it's not for over exercising. I thought it might be lack of magnesium as I am high in perspiration most days ... I do take enough salt but not magnesium, so I bought some capsules in the local supermarket that said Carnitine & magnesium. Not sure after reading about Carnitine as if I am ketogenic state and I take this. How will my liver react?

DavidCH

It appears that kerogenic dieters use carnitine with a low intake of carbs to optimize the fat burning process. Apparently quite common in body builders and not so common in carbo burning cyclists. So it has its merits. I will give it a go.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I also have had cramps but maybe only once a month so I researched it and magnesium was indicated. This research did indicate that carnotine is helpful with fat metabolism so I would not worry. I do not take magnesium tabs as I eat greens and nuts (spinach, kale, other greens, avocados, nuts, and seeds) 3 times a day. What I did do is increase my intake of salt and the cramps stopped. I did however to be sure is to increase slightly the intake of the spinach, kale, etc. No cramping, but my skin is turning green! ;)

ratz

DavidCH

Hey... I cooked a most amazing meal yesterday. It was salmon that had been marinated and put on the griddle. Done to perfection so the skin was crispy with finely chopped almonds served with stir fried broccoli , carrots and asparagus and a little mayo.

I tell you it's xmas every day.

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
I agree, it is frustrating, to think that it should be one way or another, but what is working for me may not work for you. There are many reasons for this; we all have different genetics, have different environmental influences on what actuates our genes, different physical activity levels (do you bicycle at the speed of light as Larry Oz or meander down the road as me), are you young or not, do you eat FRESH and chemical free food or eat the food as our chemically dependent society produces, does your doctor have AND use the knowledge of using less pharma on you (they are not all knowing and some of them don't know that and some of us don't know that), etc!!!!!

Personally I have read the initially referenced books from this thread as well as others of more recent pub dates ( that have been more recently published and are more up to date with current research and say the same thing as those earlier referenced books)....I'm out of breath with saying all this, but really you have to become informed with current research/thinking and decide what makes sense for you; that is, what works, which may take experimentation along with becoming informed as you have been doing. (Disclaimer -actually a confession?-I worked as an assistant in sugar research for years in the late 1970s with my salary paid for by a major sugar company so I think about all this alot).

One really good thing we all have going for us here on this forum is that we are sharing what we think and how it is working for us not just in our normal lives, but as an ultra athlete.

Edit: I want to add that I am currently reading a book that is a rebuttal to the LCHF movement (The Low Carb Myth by Ari Whitten and Wade Smith, MD), and also that for me the LCHF diet seems to be working for me. Reading this book just to get more informed.

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
Currently there are way to many variables that would have to be controlled in nutrition research to IMHO to definitively answer these questions.

So what are we to do? Become informed yourself studying all sides of thinking, be wary of what one says if they are selling something, eat a large variety of foods since a large variety will more likely give you the variety of nutrients you need to be healthy, pay attention to what you eat and how you feel/perform.

So as an example, say you just bought a dozen donuts to give you the energy (and help fight boredom) while on your indoor trainer in the morning, be sure to have a variety such as some with sprinkles, with maple frosting, chocolate, blueberry, and don't forget the donut holes! You gotta enjoy eating too! Check out the book ratz referenced a few posts above. I just picked it up and the pics alone make me drool!

Last edited:

Emeljay

WiskersBlowinInTheWind
That reminds me when in my much younger days I biked with a group who would each, myself included, daily buy a dozen day old donuts from the local donut shop at a much reduced cost, and have them eaten before asking Mom "what is for dinner" I'm hungry!

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Lee Taylor was correct in saying it will trash your cholesterol count. My recent labs show my HDL is well beyond range.
Your ratio of unsaturated/monosaturated/polysaturated fat acids was probubly uncorrect. Were you eating enough virgin olive oil?

Last edited: