Drop Out vs Hub Spacing

KneeDrachen

Still shopping for a trainer and it looks like the Kinetic Road is it. Now, after Ratz helped me in another thread it looks like with a disc hub, I have 135mm hub spacing. However, I saw someone else here replaced their bent skewer with a 145mm DT Swiss skewer. This leads me to believe my S30 would have 145mm drop out spacing, but 135mm hub spacing. For purposes of using a trainer, the drop out spacing is more important than hub spacing, correct? If so, according to a rep at Cycleops, their trainers can only handle 142mm drop out spacing while Kinetic can handle 145mm for use with tandem bicycles.

Am I tracking on this or off in left field?

I have a Kinetic Road and a V20. I never did find a skewer that fully works. I use the skewer provided with the trainer and hand tighten it down without using the cam lock. That is, I leave the cam lock in the open position. There is not enough treads to lock it. It works fine when you clamp it into the trainer and all holds together and that skewer has the right heads to connect with the trainer. I then use the longer skewer provided with the V20 when off trainer.

Last edited:

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Don't base it off the fact that we use 145mm dt swiss skewers, that's only a ball park number. The real problem with a trainer is you can't use your DT skewer with it and the trainer skewers are too short for your bike with disc hubs. I had to make my own skewer in the machine shop just for trainer purposes. I posted a few pics of it somewhere here but I can't remember which thread.