Early Christmas from Thor (seat & tailbox maker)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
It looks like the Thor seat has a fair amount more lumbar support than the stock seat. Maybe you won’t need any changes.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
My results:
I rode in sustained winds of 20mph (with gusts higher) - It was "a little" scary! :eek: - but I survived!
Obviously more testing will be needed since riding in high wind does not yield great results - but that will have to wait until I return from my Skyline Drive -Blue Ridge Parkway ride (happening from Oct1-7)
Thoughts so far:
Obviously heavier, but for flat land riding not a big issue.
There is a little lumber, but not as much as I am used to. I did not notice any discomfort in my 1 hour ride yesterday, but more testing also needed to determine if more is needed for me.
It was still manageable in the high winds, but I had to use both hands on the handlebars -which was a little uncomfortable and "scary too" since my rotator cuff and bicep ligaments are torn.
I also measured my seating position between the stock Cruzbike seat and the Thor seat. Both were mounted as low as they possibly could be on the V20 frame.
The lowest part of the Thor seat was 1/4" higher than the V20. But the biggest difference is the top end. The Thor seat really curves the shoulder's up at the end of the seat, whereas the V20 seat is just flat against the frame. Because of this my head was 1 3/4" higher on the Thor seat. Obviously not good for maximum aero.
What was interesting to note was the angle of the mid section of the Thor seat was 15 degrees when compared to the 20 degrees for the Vendetta.
Based on my ride, my gut feeling is the V20 with the Thor seat is going to come in about 1 to 1.5 mph slower than the V20 with the stock seat.
I will report exact testing later in Oct when I have a chance to do more controlled testing without such extreme wind conditions.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Larry, Your 1-1.5 mph difference between the V with stock/Thor is close to what I found on coasting tests when I built up my V20 in Feb. On a 0.5mi hill at something under 5% slope (guessing - have not measured it) I maxed out at 31.1mph with the stock seat and 29.2 with the Thor seat. My Thor doesn’t have the big wings like yours but those are tucked in behind you so shouldn’t influence much.

Not enough data, but here's my experience. My last ten time trial runs were first done with the Thor seat, storage bag hanging under the left side, & Radical Design bag on back. The last five runs were with the stock Cruzbike seat, Race Case with one water bottle, nothing under the seat. The Cruzbike seat seems to have improved speed, but not enough for the improved comfort I get with the Thor. On the graph below, you can probably guess which color represents the stock seat.
Thor vs Cruzbike seat.png

Another benefit I have with the Thor seat is that when going hard I can press my shoulders into the seat, instead of just pushing my neck into the headrest.

I'm changing back to the Thor ASAP.

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
Not enough data, but here's my experience. My last ten time trial runs were first done with the Thor seat, storage bag hanging under the left side, & Radical Design bag on back. The last five runs were with the stock Cruzbike seat, Race Case with one water bottle, nothing under the seat. The Cruzbike seat seems to have improved speed, but not enough for the improved comfort I get with the Thor. On the graph below, you can probably guess which color represents the stock seat.
View attachment 10106

Another benefit I have with the Thor seat is that when going hard I can press my shoulders into the seat, instead of just pushing my neck into the headrest.

I'm changing back to the Thor ASAP.

Agreed. Slightly more speed w stock seat but slightly more comfort on the Thor seat.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Just note in case it helps someone. I did a ton of aero testing on my bike using the RChung method and chased my tail trying to find unexplained variations. I have to say that measurement error is more than a couple watts, so, any perceived advantage of that magnitude should have lots of repeat runs to give certainty. The hanging Camelback straw from my tailbox cost a pretty remarkable amount of power at speed. I did make some power measurements of my Thor seat vs the stock seat but they would not be relevant to this thread because I ride an M5, but it is easy to see an extra 50 mm width and a taller area of the seat box on the Thor; nonetheless, I find the extra comfort well worth it

3bs

whereabouts unknown
My stock v20 seat with my little Foam wedge at the top makes it very close to my Thor seat shape, allowing a flat profile till the very end. 2 dollars worth of foam.

Derek

Wish I read Larry’s write up here before purchasing a Thor Sport seat. I’m having the exact same experience. It’s slowed me down a fair amount by putting my shoulders/head up higher. Also, I found it surprising that the Medium seems too small for me. I’m 5’8” and the Medium is advertised as fitting up to folks who are 5’10”. I guess I have a long torso.

Anyway, I’m not knocking the Thor. It’s a good quality product that people love (and it does have nice contour), but I care too much about max speed to keep it. If anyone is interested, I’ll be parting ways with it: Carbon model + Ventisit 2cm pad. Comes predrilled with rubber shims for the attachment points since I went through that trouble for you! Also, is drilled for a headrest (I have the adjustable Bacchetta - could include if interested).

ed72

Zen MBB Master
I am not 100% sure why the Thor seat got me a little higher CdA aero drag. I thought some of it could be the larger bucket in the front of the seat although it is clear the upper body is bent more upwards raising the head. I just accepted slower speeds for the comfort because I don't have racing on the bent as an objective. The width at the shoulders on my stock M5 seat pinches at the chicken wing (scapula) bones. I also had to put a lot of padding at the lumbar/sacrum area. After three years of abuse and over 40K miles, mine is delaminating and considering what to buy as a replacement. I might just buy another Thor but it would be nice to have less upward tilt at the thoracic and a little more upward bump at the sacrum/lumbar area.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I am not 100% sure why the Thor seat got me a little higher CdA aero drag. I thought some of it could be the larger bucket in the front of the seat although it is clear the upper body is bent more upwards raising the head. I just accepted slower speeds for the comfort because I don't have racing on the bent as an objective. The width at the shoulders on my stock M5 seat pinches at the chicken wing (scapula) bones. I also had to put a lot of padding at the lumbar/sacrum area. After three years of abuse and over 40K miles, mine is delaminating and considering what to buy as a replacement. I might just buy another Thor but it would be nice to have less upward tilt at the thoracic and a little more upward bump at the sacrum/lumbar area.
40k miles in three years ain’t to shabby.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
40k miles in three years ain’t to shabby.

No complaints on the seat, I suppose I could repair it.

I was eyeballing the Thor tailbox but the specs show it to be very heavy compared to my battered and bruised tailbox currently on my bike. I have lost my cover more than once on bumpy roads, a truck ran over it and I got the chance to learn some carbon fiber repair skills. I like the idea of the latch on the Thor box. One of the unsung beauties of these boxes is how they keep everything dry in the rain. Also, put an insulated camel back with ice and it lasts a long time in hot weather.