Ease of seat adjustment

Kamatu

How hard is it to adjust the seat, say between rider only and rider + load (50-60lbs over rear wheel, 25-30 kilos)?

Does it have to be rigged?

Would biasing the seat forward be a better option and if so, what would be the max f/b ratio recommended?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Keep in mind that moving the seat forward will cause you to adjust the boom/bottom bracket, which will throw your whole positioning off and cause you to have to relearn to a certain extent. Moving the seat itself is easy as loosening the hose clamps and sliding it one way or the other. Where it becomes difficult is the seatpost that supports the seat back. Mine is bent pretty severly, so I would have to bend a second seatpost for my adjusted seat position. Bottom line is; I think the solution is more bother than the problem.

Mark

Kamatu

So you'd suggest going with a 60/40 bias in the "empty" mode and then with a load behind the seat it would go back more towards 50/50. Ah, I'm also thinking of building this one with a Xtracycle on it. One reason I know a Silvio isn't in my near future is that the wife and I might be getting to adopt a little girl this year, which points me towards a XtraCruz instead of just a rack and a trailer.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Kamatu...

You'll find the bike very tolerant of loading and the slight change in weight bias it results in. I don't think you'll need to make any engineering considerations for what you have in mind.

My red bike starts out with 63% rear weight bias and rides fine.

The "XtraCruz" arrangement seems to work very well for those who've built them, and if you look at some of the pictures John T. posted at the Yahoo group, you'll see that riding with your kids is a real hoot. If you build an XtraCruz to do that, I'm sure you'll produce a lot of memories and have some great family time.

Let us know how you go.

Have Fun,

Doug

Flasharry

I agree with Doug. Once you have set the seat to it most comfortable possition for you, there is little reason to change it, (generally, you want to keep your knees forward of the steer tube, if possible).
If you do want to adjust the seat, it's usually fairly straight forward and the majority people don't need to bend their seat tube, so raising or lowering it would't be a problem either.
Adjusting the preload on the rear shock is normaly all thats needed for heavy loads and of course, when different riders use the bike, it's simply a matter of adjusting the length of the top tube to the BB, using the quick release.

Regards.
Stuart.