Electric Cruzbike

Crog Welly

Very impressed with the S40 as a recumbent. Been commuting on mine for about six months now. Before that a QX100, also a great bike.

Just recently finished adding an electric motor capability to the S40. The eConversion S40 is unbelievably useful. I am a regular commuter with a 28 mile round trip commute; half of that commute in rush hour traffic. Hill starts, starting from lights in traffic and climbing hills in heavy traffic are all safer and easier on an eBike. In particular, having a rear wheel assist on a recumbent adds a level of enjoyment and safety that enhances recumbent biking enormously for me.

S40 very stable under electric assist at all power levels and bike speeds. Frame seems to take it all in its stride and behaves and handles remarkably like an unpowered S40.

Also, seems to me an electric Cruzbike has structural advantages over eConversions of non MBB recumbents. Rear wheel boost when you need it is probably better than a front wheel assist. Certainly very very happy with what I have.

I opted for pedal assist with supplemental throttle. Lots of decisions t make when making the eConversion.

Like:

Vendor
System design and features
Installation considerations
S40 specific installation considerations

Conversation I am happy to have if anyone has questions.

billyk

Guru
I opted for pedal assist with supplemental throttle.

Glad to hear this, and I agree that rear wheel edrive is the way to go on an MBB bike (because starting on a hill loses front wheel traction, whether human or motor powered).

But I'm confused about pedal assist: doesn't that imply that the motor is working on the front wheel?

Glad to hear this, and I agree that rear wheel edrive is the way to go on an MBB bike (because starting on a hill loses front wheel traction, whether human or motor powered).

But I'm confused about pedal assist: doesn't that imply that the motor is working on the front wheel?
Pedal assist means a sensor measures pedaling cadence and provides proportional assistance, in this case to the rear wheel.