Emergency Request for a Vendetta or other Cruzbike

Mike Cash

Maria Parker is competing in RAAM to raise funds for 300milestoacure.com. I just received word that all three of her bikes and the follow van were destroyed in an accident in northern Arizona (nobody was injured). She wants to continue. Does anyone in Arizona, Utah, California, Colorado have a bike they can lend her. Call me immediately at 602-316-1944 if you do. Thanks!

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Actually, just her spare

Actually, just her spare bikes (and the support vehicle) were impacted. But without a back up bike, you can't really do it.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I'm very glad everybody is

I'm very glad everybody is o.k.

I'm also very glad John and others sent out an email asking for donor bikes. It's too bad it didn't come together in time, but it was the right thing to do. (Had she been in Connecticut, I could have gotten her my Sofrider... :D ).

Kenneth Jessett

There were quite a few other

There were quite a few other recumbent teams on the race, I know the Bachetta people and they would have been happy to lend her a bike if they had known. The RAAM family is just that, a family.

Anyway, Maria would have learnt a lot from this experience and she can come back next year.

Many of my friends have attempted RAAM solo and for one reason or another dropped out, but came back stronger and wiser the next year and succeeded. Hopefully Maria will too.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Charles, 
Moments

Thanks Charles,
Moments after it happened I got a request to send the bulk email. At that time, you need to know options, and fast. I wrote and organised to send it out while taking instruction from a client on skype about a separate matter.

I got three firm offers, one to be confirmed, and others by phone. The cruzbike community responded with complete generosity. It seemed like every Vendetta owner in the region put up their hand.

We'll find out soon what the team will do, if they construct a new agenda and travel with the other racers to annapolis, or if they will abandon the tour and go straight home, or if they make some other plan.

jwitten

Real Bummer!

Such a tragedy to hear about this... but so much support from the Cruzbikers as well! I suppose our lives are a compilation of experiences, both good and bad, and that's what makes life worth living.

At least the Team will have a great story to tell, and I'm sure the rest of us would be interested in more details of exactly what happened if they are willing to share.

Kenneth Jessett

[MariaVan]

I was trying to add a photo of Maria's van after the crash, but it seems not to want to take.

Anyway, she has obtained cars and bikes and is resuming her race.

Kenneth Jessett

Maria has clawed her way into

Maria has clawed her way into joint 2nd among the women, only 100 miles behind Seana Hogan but a whopping 1,000 miles behind the lead man: Christoph Strasser.

At this rate of pulling in the miles, Maria might win the women's division, and this would put Cruzbikes squarely front and centre among recumbents.

I would like to invite Maria to attend my 24 hour endurance race next April, it would be great to see her perform against the Bachettas.

Kenneth Jessett

Seana Hogan has now dropped

Seana Hogan has now dropped out of the race. Maria Parker is 70 miles behind 1st place Cassie Schumacher and is half way across America.

Although Cassie is running a fast race, unless something untoward happens, it does seem that Maria has a good chance to win the RAAM this year.

thebean

I wish I had been around!

I wish I had been around! (My mom had a stroke and I was back in Boston). I missed all of the coverage, and it's great to hear how well it turned out. So great that folks volunteered their bikes!