Fenders, rack, Reelights and flashing pedals

mi7d1

Well the the forum has been a little slow lately so I thought I'd give an update on my Sofrider V1

I've added fenders. Yesterday while looking for a bag I found a set of Bontrager fenders. They are silver with a chrome colored stripe down the center. The color match to my Sofrider is perfect in my opinion. The rear fender went on without too much difficulty however the front fork has no fender eyes. How I got around this small problem was to drill a small hole for the M5 bolt at the top of the dropout in the center.I then attached the fender brackets on the inside of the dropout. It worked out well and now I have a set of fenders for the wet side of Oregon.

Next, I had a beam mount rear rack but was unhappy with it. I have been reading up on racks and knew that Old Man Mountain racks would work on a rear suspension bike. I settled on the White Rock model for $44.99 I preferred the Red Rock for the longer top shelf but it wasn't available in my area. I wanted a rack now and didn't want to order by mail and wait. That's how much I detested the beam rack I had.

Finally I purchased some interesting lights. They are called Reelights and are powered by magnets attached to the spokes. I purchased the M120 model that are suppose to have a "stand light" but am disappointed in that feature. As my wheels spin the magnet passes the Reelight and induces current to make the light blink. It's nice to know that I have lights at all times and not have to worry about batteries. Reelights have been available in Europe for awhile now but are fairly new to us here in the US. Currently they have three models. A blinking only, a steady light only and a blinking with stand light. I'm told soon there will be a steady light with a capacitor for when you're stopped. If it's anything like mine I'd be disappointed again in the stand light feature.

Finally I purchased some pedals that have a little dynamo inside of them that powers three flashing LED lights. I'm not ready to go clipless pedals yet so I am using these in the intern. I wasn't full thinking when I purchased these. I have a couple of other bents that I knew these wouldn't work on. Velomobile, enough said here. GS GT3-II, high bottom bracket and fear of leg suck. The Sofrider has a lower bottom bracket so I thought these pedals would be great. Problem is the angle of attack. Neither the white forward light nor the red rear light shine in the proper direction. Only the center amber light is oriented properly. I had thought about returning them but all three lights can be seen from the side and also is just looks great with them flashing. They also incorporate a stand light and will continue to flash for a couple of minutes after I've stopped pedaling.

Now for the obligatory photos, enjoy.

2426074876_1147c5348f.jpg

2426085104_c5143815f9.jpg

P.S. I love my Sofrider but people at work don't understand when I tell them I'm thinking of selling it. They just haven't seen a Silvio yet! Perhaps one day soon.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
i have reelights on my old upright bike. They work very well when you ride in town, but once you get out there where you dont have street lights, it is VERY annoying to have a blinking front light. Because of that i decided not to use reelight on my freerider, but get a dynamo hub. I was ready to buy, but then i found out that schmidt that makes the SON hub has a upcomming front light i want on my bike. But not until june. So i will wait with the dynamo hub until then.

I have half a front fender too, and the inside of my front cogwheel is dirty with mud. I'm thinking about getting a 2. half front fender more and mount it the opposide direction to void getting mud.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
mi7d1 wrote: Well the the forum has been a little slow lately so I thought I'd give an update on my Sofrider V1

I've added fenders. Yesterday while looking for a bag I found a set of Bontrager fenders. They are silver with a chrome colored stripe down the center. The color match to my Sofrider is perfect in my opinion. The rear fender went on without too much difficulty however the front fork has no fender eyes. How I got around this small problem was to drill a small hole for the M5 bolt at the top of the dropout in the center.I then attached the fender brackets on the inside of the dropout. It worked out well and now I have a set of fenders for the wet side of Oregon.

You're right, those fenders look as though they belong on there. Good find!

mi7d1 wrote: P.S. I love my Sofrider but people at work don't understand when I tell them I'm thinking of selling it. They just haven't seen a Silvio yet! Perhaps one day soon.

You WILL be assimilated. Resistance is futile!

Mark

mi7d1

JonB wrote: i have reelights on my old upright bike. They work very well when you ride in town, but once you get out there where you dont have street lights, it is VERY annoying to have a blinking front light. Because of that i decided not to use reelight on my freerider, but get a dynamo hub. I was ready to buy, but then i found out that schmidt that makes the SON hub has a upcomming front light i want on my bike. But not until june. So i will wait with the dynamo hub until then.

I have half a front fender too, and the inside of my front cogwheel is dirty with mud. I'm thinking about getting a 2. half front fender more and mount it the opposide direction to void getting mud.

I was thinking along the same lines in regards to the front fender. I actually have a second set. I cut the supporting rods too short the first time and had to purchase another pair. I'll have to take a look and see if I can mount the other rear or front fender also on the front drive wheel.

Ninety-nine percent of my ridding is in the city. I'm not too excited about the flashing lights at night but purchased them more for having lights on at all times. I have been thinking about a dynamo both hub and bottle type. Don't know which way I'm going to go yet. I will get a bottle dynamo for my GS GT3-II and see how that goes. I have a nice set of after market wheels on my Sofrider and don't know if I want to get rid of one. hmmm.....

mi7d1

Mark B wrote:

mi7d1 wrote: P.S. I love my Sofrider but people at work don't understand when I tell them I'm thinking of selling it. They just haven't seen a Silvio yet! Perhaps one day soon.

You WILL be assimilated. Resistance is futile!

Mark

Let me drink the Sofrider Kool-aid for awhile first. I need to save some more pennies. Perhaps then I'll be ready to be assimilated :D Anybody doing lay-aways plans for Silvio frame sets? :lol: I"m all in then..

JonB

Zen MBB Master
mi7d1 wrote: Ninety-nine percent of my ridding is in the city. I'm not too excited about the flashing lights at night but purchased them more for having lights on at all times. I have been thinking about a dynamo both hub and bottle type. Don't know which way I'm going to go yet. I will get a bottle dynamo for my GS GT3-II and see how that goes. I have a nice set of after market wheels on my Sofrider and don't know if I want to get rid of one. hmmm.....
Why dont you like flashing lights? They are easier for the cars to see. But you cant see with them so you need streetlights.

mi7d1

JonB wrote:
mi7d1 wrote: Ninety-nine percent of my ridding is in the city. I'm not too excited about the flashing lights at night but purchased them more for having lights on at all times. I have been thinking about a dynamo both hub and bottle type. Don't know which way I'm going to go yet. I will get a bottle dynamo for my GS GT3-II and see how that goes. I have a nice set of after market wheels on my Sofrider and don't know if I want to get rid of one. hmmm.....
Why dont you like flashing lights? They are easier for the cars to see. But you cant see with them so you need streetlights.

I was referring to the front relight flashing at night. Like you said
Quote: it is VERY annoying to have a blinking front light
Although I ride in the city not all of the streets have lights. I could have purchased the set that stay on and doesn't flash but I wanted the flashing feature for daytime use. Wouldn't it be great if there was a switch to choose between flashing or not?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
mi7d1 wrote: I was referring to the front relight flashing at night. Like you said
Quote: it is VERY annoying to have a blinking front light
Although I ride in the city not all of the streets have lights. I could have purchased the set that stay on and doesn't flash but I wanted the flashing feature for daytime use. Wouldn't it be great if there was a switch to choose between flashing or not?
yes, a switch for blinking or not would be great

Laurent

Hi!

I have just seen your Sofrider. It's beautiful. I want mine to be as nice. I searched on the Bontrager web site and the model of fenders I found similar to your's seems to be this one: http://bontrager.com/model/04684. Can you confirm this is it? If so, do you think it will fit on the V2 the same as on the V1? What's a M5 by the way?

Thanks!