First ‘real’ ride outside on the S40

i have spent hours outside working on the handling drills. Even a few 2-4 mile rides with the kid. Last night we got a good rain and I thought today would work great and keep the pollen down. I tossed the S40 in the back of my SUV and off the the Neuse River Trail.

Unless you are near Raleigh, you likely have not heard of the trail. It runs next to the Neuse River and is a ~33mi paved trail. There is one road crossing and one 1/4 mile stretch you are on a road leaving one of the parks. The rest is just a nice ride with a lot of tree cover.

I parked near the middle and turned south for 14 miles. There is only one hill of note in the section. On my ICE Sprint, I would drop to at least the middle ring (36T?) and if tired, to the small ring. I zipped right up setting a new PR. I hit the southern end in 51 minutes. Turn around and time to head to the Falls of Neuse.

The rest was uneventful. For awhile I was keeping an average pace of 16.9MPH. I eventually finished the 67 mile right with a 15MPH average. The 19 miles from the Falls to my car I went easy as the outside of my left knee was bothering me.

I still have a ways to go before I relax on the bike. I have one sore shoulder and a small blister on the pad by one pinkie finger. I suspect both will go away with more time. My weaving around wasn’t any worse that I saw some DFs doing on the trail.

Looking at my schedule and comfort on the bike, I am starting to really consider taking the ICE Sprint on the Raven Rock Ramble this year. I was hoping to have more miles outside already, but that just has not happened yet.

6949574F-47C1-41D6-9DE5-FD489EAC92C1.jpeg C07E2D78-A17F-4A13-B5F9-8543183B5DB3.jpeg

McWheels

Off the long run
No one ever got better at something by not doing it. Take the machine you're confident in. When you're ready, the S40 will go faster.

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
I'm surprised at how many folks from NC are on this forum, especially since I've not seen a Cruzbike "in the wild" in NC (I live in Raleigh myself). I suppose being close to the Cruzbike skunkworks in Lumberton, NC has something to do with it.

That is a nice looking ride! I recently acquired a pre-owned (but never actually ridden) S40 with light gray where your bike has the bright green. I must say that that little splash of color makes a huge difference! What is the bag/bags on the seat? I'm still sorting out storage and a place for my water bladder, but the seat design doesn't make this easy. I wish the Cruzbike seat fit (or better fit) the "brain box" type storage bags from Bacchetta, Radical Designs, Bentup Cycles, etc...

I didn't sign up for Raven Rock this year, but I hope to see you out on the road sometime!

-Jack

No one ever got better at something by not doing it. Take the machine you're confident in. When you're ready, the S40 will go faster.

The S40 will no doubt be faster. Even with all my wobbles, I set PRs an most of the segments I rode rode. Even on the back end when I was taking it easy, Strava tells me it was my 2nd fastest times. I will gain comfort and confidence on the S40. Looking forward to another ride in late Sept to take it out on. I will enjoy the miles on the roads and trails before then.

I'm surprised at how many folks from NC are on this forum, especially since I've not seen a Cruzbike "in the wild" in NC (I live in Raleigh myself). I suppose being close to the Cruzbike skunkworks in Lumberton, NC has something to do with it.

That is a nice looking ride! I recently acquired a pre-owned (but never actually ridden) S40 with light gray where your bike has the bright green. I must say that that little splash of color makes a huge difference! What is the bag/bags on the seat? I'm still sorting out storage and a place for my water bladder, but the seat design doesn't make this easy. I wish the Cruzbike seat fit (or better fit) the "brain box" type storage bags from Bacchetta, Radical Designs, Bentup Cycles, etc...

I didn't sign up for Raven Rock this year, but I hope to see you out on the road sometime!

-Jack

I have seen a number of trikes (on trails) and a few Bachetta bikes in the wild. Outside of CNC Coastal last year (or the Parkers garage), I have not see a CruzBike in the wild either.

Thanks. I picked it up pre-owned from Bryan Ball back in Sept. It is one of the 2018 models. I believe the paint scheme changed for the 2019 version. Is your running a 1X or 2x chainring?

I actually have two bags hanging off the seat and both are from t-cycle. Wrapped around the very top of the seat is a https://t-cycle.com/products/fastback-carbon-slim-seatback-bag. In the picture, you might see the blue color tubing from a water bladder. I have a https://t-cycle.com/products/fastback-70ls-hydration-pack on the left side with a 2L bladder. I like the bag, but not sure yet on the bladder. I’ll give it another run it two to test out and see if I can find a better way to manage the tubing placement. I plan to also order the bottle cage holder for the headrest posts from CruzBike. I found I can ride 1-handed without any real issue and no problem reaching back for a bottle. Even if I ditch the bladder, I’ll keep the bag for extra storage.

The long term CruzBike riders might remember this. Today, my upper back and shoulders are sore. Nothing serious, just sore muscles and mostly only noticed when I roll my shoulders. I suspect it is from my death grip fighting the bike.

Zwift has been great for getting use to the seat, but does nothing to improve actual skill on the bike ;)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
The long term CruzBike riders might remember this. Today, my upper back and shoulders are sore. Nothing serious, just sore muscles and mostly only noticed when I roll my shoulders. I suspect it is from my death grip fighting the bike. Zwift has been great for getting use to the seat, but does nothing to improve actual skill on the bike ;)
How true! Winter trainer riding is giving me some leg muscles and air too as I am used to doing only a short commute. It is paying off dividends on the "Paris 2 Ancaster" cyclocross ride I will be riding later this month (not on the Cruzbike - too much mud). I am still noticing better balance derived from riding the Cruzbike even after 4-5 months on the mountain bike over winter salt season. (' Wondered who got the Brian Ball tester - good for you!)

velocio

Austrian roadside steckerlfisch (fish on a stick)
I have seen a number of trikes (on trails) and a few Bachetta bikes in the wild. Outside of CNC Coastal last year (or the Parkers garage), I have not see a CruzBike in the wild either.

Thanks. I picked it up pre-owned from Bryan Ball back in Sept. It is one of the 2018 models. I believe the paint scheme changed for the 2019 version. Is your running a 1X or 2x chainring?

I actually have two bags hanging off the seat and both are from t-cycle. Wrapped around the very top of the seat is a https://t-cycle.com/products/fastback-carbon-slim-seatback-bag. In the picture, you might see the blue color tubing from a water bladder. I have a https://t-cycle.com/products/fastback-70ls-hydration-pack on the left side with a 2L bladder. I like the bag, but not sure yet on the bladder. I’ll give it another run it two to test out and see if I can find a better way to manage the tubing placement. I plan to also order the bottle cage holder for the headrest posts from CruzBike. I found I can ride 1-handed without any real issue and no problem reaching back for a bottle. Even if I ditch the bladder, I’ll keep the bag for extra storage.

I stared at Brian's ad for that S40 over on BROL ... and stared ... and stared ... until it was sold. When another used S40 popped up a couple of months ago I contacted the seller right away and offered his full asking price. I figured I'd rather risk buyer's remorse than wait potentially a very long time for another used S40 to come on the market. Mine is also a double crankset'ed 2018 model with the plainest of the available color schemes (white and gray on gray), I do wish it was any of the other color schemes with a bit of accent color. It came with the SlingPack and the crabon fiber Race Case (I think that's what it's called), but I'm looking for other storage solutions. My first recumbent is a Bacchetta Giro A20 with a Bacchetta "Brain Box" for storage, which I find extremely useful and convenient. The crabon Race Case certainly looks svelte, but is pretty cramped. I'll check out the T-cycle offerings ...

-Jack

Bill K

Guru
I stared at Brian's ad for that S40 over on BROL ... and stared ... and stared ... until it was sold. When another used S40 popped up a couple of months ago I contacted the seller right away and offered his full asking price. I figured I'd rather risk buyer's remorse than wait potentially a very long time for another used S40 to come on the market. Mine is also a double crankset'ed 2018 model with the plainest of the available color schemes (white and gray on gray), I do wish it was any of the other color schemes with a bit of accent color. It came with the SlingPack and the crabon fiber Race Case (I think that's what it's called), but I'm looking for other storage solutions. My first recumbent is a Bacchetta Giro A20 with a Bacchetta "Brain Box" for storage, which I find extremely useful and convenient. The crabon Race Case certainly looks svelte, but is pretty cramped. I'll check out the T-cycle offerings ...
-Jack

I've used the brain box on my S40. It works quite well, except the sharp edges of the S40 seat tend to cut the fabric.
But I tend to overload it on my commutes so maybe it's not the seat's fault.
I also put a clamp around the headrest tubing with the brain box handle strap looped through it to take up the load.