First ride clipped in

hurri47

I failed to score any decent SPD/platforms at the GABA swap meet this weekend, so I pulled some crappy Nashbar ones out of my junk bin, stuck them on my Cannondale SuperV conversion, and went out and rode 45 miles.

I should have done this weeks ago. I can't say I hadn't realized how much attention I had been putting into positioning my feet on the platforms, because I have always been painfully aware of it, but boy was it nice to not have to do that any more!

Starting had been easier lately once I started doing it sitting up rather than in my normal pretty reclined position, and the SPDs just improve it even more. Starting with my dominant right foot clipped in, sometimes I will get two full strokes in before raising my left. I even spun the wheel once starting on pavement. Easy there Tiger!

Advice: if you are used to riding clipped in on your normal bikes, don't wait as long as I did to do it on your Cruzbike. Given sufficient prior experience, there's very little downside and lots to gain.

-Dan

Jeremy S

Dude
You know, I've read similar

You know, I've read similar comments before about the benefits of clipping in. I had never used clipless pedals on a bike until I tried them recently on my Silvio, and I'm really not sure what benefit I'm getting! The disadvantages are clear: having to clip out at least one foot when stopping, having to clip in when starting, the chance of not being able to get a foot unclipped and onto the ground fast enough if I lose balance, and not being able to shift my feet around on the pedals for comfort. The advantages I expected were greater control and power delivery, and I'm really not convinced I'm seeing either one. I know that "spinning" properly is supposed to take practice so I'm sticking with it.

Anyway, glad you are happy with your upgraded setup, Dan.

hurri47

Jeremy, here's another frame

Jeremy, here's another frame for the expected advantages of clipless pedals.

You like the ability to shift your feet for comfort, but I hate the necessity of having to locate my feet on the pedals. There is a certain amount of attention and muscle involved in holding your feet in place by yourself on purpose. Getting them bumped off on rough roads is no fun either. Riding clipped-in, my feet and legs can just hang when they're not busy, and I really appreciate the relaxation.

I won't address power delivery - I only pull a tiny bit - for me it's all about comfort and control.

It's probably all about what we're used to. I've been clipping in for almost fifty years. I don't even think about unclipping - I just unclip automatically. You've been riding without for probably a significant fraction of that time, and you likely do the foot placement thing equally automatically.

-Dan

Jeremy S

Dude
It's probably all about what

It's probably all about what we're used to.

I'm sure you are right, Dan. Interesting points about having to locate your feet, and getting them bumped off the pedals; I think I just took those issue for granted when I rode platform pedals.

kgantz

I Too Am A Clipless Convert

I am new to recumbents which also makes me new to Cruzbikes and, on top of all that, I have never used clipless pedals on any bike until 2 weeks ago. The first 10 minutes I tried riding my Quest on day 1, I had thoughts that I'd never be able to ride it. I could barely get my feet on the standard pedals, let alone keep them there. I made lots of progress in my first 150 miles or so and decided to try clipless pedals. I was scared to death about having my feet attached to the pedals but I went ahead and tried it. I instantly felt more powerful and 2 things happened that I never expected. The first was that starts seemed to become much, much easier. I feel so much more in control when I start out now. The second surprise was that by my second clipless ride, I noticed that I could ride short distances without using my hands. By the third clipless session I was riding 100+ yards with no hands making minor direction corrections. I still can't turn without hands, but i feel like I have gone to a new level on the Quest that I could not have gotten to without the clipless pedals. As a side bonus, I was able to nearly match the color of the pedals to the Quest by purchasing the Crank Brothers Candy 2 clipless pedals which come in an orange color. I find cliping in to be nearly effortless and, in fact, the very first time I brought my weak side foot (left) up to the pedal it just "magically" clipped in and kind of surprised me. Since then I usually have to pedal one full time around before clippage. I still find myself reciting "spin foot out, spin foot out" in the back of my mind while riding because I'm still concerned that one day I will forget that my feet are mechanically attached to the pedals. I like the clipless pedals so much that I ordered a second pair for my standard, hybrid bike!

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Ken,My story is very

Hi Ken,

My story is very similar to yours. I never clipped in before my Cruzbike (I did use toe clips on everything except my folding bike). And I did feel very much more in control (including riding with no hands) after clipping in.

If I regularly rode my DF bikes, I'd put clipless pedals on those, too.

As far as power goes, I rarely pull (although I notice it when I do). I don't think I'd bridge without being clipped in (planting my shoulders on the seat, lifting my butt off the seat and really hammering on the pedals) as slipping off the pedals then could be catastrophic. Bridging for me is a very short, very high burst of power.

The two biggest benefits for me are: (1) when I relax, I don't have to hold my feet on the pedals and (2) I can spin a lot faster being clipped in as I don't have to worry about my feet flying off.

Cheers,
Charles

chrisblessing

Clipless...

As a long time recumbent rider I started clipping almost from the beginning. It didn't take many speed bumps to convince me that I needed to keep my feet on the pedals. Now, with the Cruzbike, I find them even more an imperative. Far easier starts and better control.

If I can offer one tip: you can adjust the release to maximum looseness, because you're feet aren't going anywhere. Mine take just the slightest twist to be out of the pedal.

Jim Gaw

Looking forward to first clipless ride

My new Quest 3.0 arrived a week ago and I spent Saturday putting it together while it snowed outside. On Sunday the snow had disappeared by mid-day, and after about 5 minutes with feet on the ground I was pedaling around. I rode out to the local high school parking lot and did figure 8s for about an hour. Right now it is snowing like crazy, but I expect it to melt in a few days. I plan to put my Speedplay Frogs on soon, as I loved them on my old Rans V-Rex rear-wheel drive recumbent. Everything I've read in the Forum indicates that I am in for a delightful ride with clipless pedals on the Quest. Winter in Colorado is not the best time to get a new bike, but I just could not wait!

dr o

I was so excited when i went

I was so excited when i went clipless on my sofrider a couple of months ago i was going to post something on the site but never got to it. I've been riding clipless on my DF carbon fibre bike for just a year; After the first few rides i understood why clipless riders would roll their eyes when in the past I would attempt to reason with them about my resistance to going clipless. There is just no comparison in so many ways.

I started riding the sofrider this fall and decided to get comfortable before going clipless. I think someone on the site suggested putting in 500 miles or so first. At 300 miles i decided to give it a try. My very first ride i gained 3km/hr! I feel more in control - especially at speed; the wobble disappears. Downhill i used to quit pedaling at anything over 40 km/hr and just coast; now i keep pedaling and have reached speeds of up to 76 km/hr! For me i don't really find it fatiguing to hold my feet on the pedals but i like that the clips keep them in the right position 100% of the time. My recommendation is don't wait as long as i did; as soon as you kind a got the hang of it, put on the clipless and go - you will be a better and safer rider.

jphipps

BMX Platform Pedals

I now have 2500 miles on my quest 3 and use BMX Platform pedals pictured below. I have not experienced the need to be clipped in, as the elliptical chain ring solves the problem of needing to pull, and my feet do not slip. I have seen lots of riders in the last 30 years good, bad, and experienced fall with clip in pedals. Usually with a big group or in heavy traffic. No one has posted that part of learning to ride MBB bikes. Has no one on this board taken a fall because of being clipped in? Clip in pedals ad a lot of risk to the ride, eventually all riders will experience a fall based on being clipped in.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, I have gone over due to

Yes, I have gone over due to being clipped in. It happened because I combined mtb walking shoes with a recessed cleat, with platform pedals that contained the clip. When I wanted to unclip, the sole of the shoe bound up on the platform pedal and I couldn't get out promptly and cleanly. So don't do that.

In other 'emergency stops' I have found that pulling my leg down in one movement automatically unclipped. So I have been able to begin falling and still get the foot down. What happens here is the front of the bike turns when you pull your foot down, and that turning gives the angle needed to release the cleat. So you uncleat and get the foot down in a single reflex motion. Better than other bikes in this regard.

The best way to fall is to forget you are clipped in, and this is probably the underlying cause, especially when beginning. This is probably behind the falls in groups you mention. Naturally, if you forget what's going on you are liable to hurt yourself. So don't forget. After a while you clip out automatically, you might even do it on bikes that do not have cleats.

chrisblessing

falling

I've yet to fall on a recumbent, Cruzbike or otherwise, when clipped in. I have, however, when not clipped. I installed clipless on my first recumbent after my first fall, which occurred after hitting a bump which caused both feet to drop off my platform pedals. In my effort to get my feet planted again I went over.

When beginning with my current Cruzbike conversion, I didn't clip in for the first couple of rides around the parking lot and football pitch (the figure 8 practice). For my first ride in public I rode clipless, and haven't looked back. Haven't gone over yet. I keep the loosest possible setting, but, as John noted, I'm always aware that I'm clipped in.

Chris

dr o

i forgot twice - one on each

i forgot twice - one on each side! that was almost a year ago on my DF road bike - the first time a week or so after i went clipless and the second time a couple weeks later. since then i haven't had any memory lapse and the clipless pedals have not been the cause of any fall. my only fall since i started riding the cruz bike (2-3 months) was on a wet pavement curve at speed with tires at max pressure; it happened so quick i dont know if i unclipped or hit the ground first! i use mountain bike pedals and have the tension at the lowest setting; they seem to pop out pretty easy when i want them to but not before. having said all that, i don't plan on riding clipless this winter on the snow and ice!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
A slightly different

A slightly different perspective - I remained clipped in when side swiped, knocked down, and dragged a short distance by a passing minivan. Since she ended running over the front wheel of my Vendetta and "taco"ing it, I believe remaining clipped in helped prevent my left leg from getting the same treatment as my wheel.

-Eric

Ivan

Guru
I've been riding DF clipless

I've been riding DF clipless for 18 years and wouldn't have it any other way even when I am on a leisure ride with family. So when I went to Silvio (my first recumbent), I went clipless on day 3. I found it helped immediately and found that my disengaging instinct works the same on Silvio. I have had to stop suddenly a couple of times and was always able to disengage quickly, albeit the fact that my tension is on the lowest setting. When I get the spin of my muscles working more like a DF I will increase the tension. It has been about 4 months on Silvio 2.

Of course there are people who say they never felt the need for clipless. You don't need it, but it is huge advantage once you learn to use it. Your connectedness to the bike increases by leaps and bounds. Of course the benefits only come after you learn to use them and stop mashing. For example on my Silvio with a high BB, I am still learning to relax my muscles after the push. By NOT pushing for too long, gravity and weight of my leg downward applies more torque. A split second later, pulling back uses naturally strong muscles. All of this is not second nature for me yet, but when I get this right, I can feel the efficiency of this technique. I highly recommend clipless pedals for Cruzbiking.

jimbo3b

+1 on Clipless

I'm a recent clipless convert--going on two months at this point. I have a pair of cheap SPD pedals set on the most loose setting, and some MTB sandals with the rubber trimmed around the cleat.

Safety: I learned to ride my conversion using BMX platform pedals, and rode about 350 miles during the first month as I got used to the bike. I had never ridden clipless before, and was concerned about not being able to get my foot down in a panic stop. However, I found the very act of putting my foot down on my conversion (out and down) unclips the foot. I've had a couple frightening stops where I had to slam on the brakes for whatever reason, but no clipped-in topple-overs to date. I realize it could happen at any point, so I continue to stay aware when riding.

Hassle: being both new to Cruzbike and clipless riding, my issue has been getting clipped in and going at the same time. This has gotten easier as the mechanical parts are wearing in, but I still find myself riding a block or two with at least one foot not locked in. My mantra has been to "ride now" (get through the intersection safely) and "clip in when safe."

Power: I immediately gained one gear by going clipless. This wasn't from spinning, but rather from the freedom to apply power through a greater range of motion without worrying about the foot slipping off the pedal.

hurri47

I thank Keen for making

I thank Keen for making clipless sandals, but it's puzzled me for a while that they make us do all that rubber trimming to make SPDs work near the back of the adjustment slots. After two pairs, I'm getting good at it.

-Dan

jimbo3b

Trimming the Keens

Dan, I didn't mention the brand of sandal in my post but you nailed it. Keen Commuter III for me because of the width--the 15 D feels like a 15 EEEEE or a 16 EEE. Had to set the cleat all the way back, and had to trim the rubber to get it there.

hurri47

lucky guess jimbo

I had to give my Keen Commuter II and Pedal Arroyo the same treatment.

-Dan