First Ride on Silvio since Aug 16th Crash

mickjordan

Re recumbutt

I'm still adapting my muscles to recumbent riding. The muscles at the top of the hamstring and bottom of the glute, i.e., right where the sit bones make contact with the seat, still get pretty stressed. The SIlvio seat is indeed very minimal in terms of padding compared to, say, a Bachetta foam seat, which I think contributes to the fact that I feel it more on the Silvio on the trainer (yes, I still haven't sold it) than the Bacchetta. On the other hand it probably contributes to the power you can apply on the Silvio as there is more resistance when you push hard with the legs.

psychling

Padding

On the Silvio I simply doubled the padding on the lower seat pan. Worked.
On the Vendetta I didn' need to do anything to the seat padding bc most of my weight is distributed on my back.
On the Bacchetta there are many ways to go that replicate what you can do on the Silvio and Vendett. A 3" pad, a 2" pad (both of which will compress to almost `zip' if you ride a lot ... and they cost around $50 plus shipping to replace. Or you can get minimal padding and purchase a Ventisit pad.

There is another alternative or all of these issues that is available: lose the fat butt.

mickjordan

Fat Butt

Dan, it's not the fat butt that's the problem it's the sit bones! On the Silvio my sit bones are essentially in pretty firm contact with the hard seat, not unlike a DF bike, although obviously there is much more area taking the weight. But they are still hard pointy objects that don't enjoy the pressure.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I agree with Mick.  I think

I agree with Mick. I think my problem is actually not having a fat butt. I've got not very much padding there naturally and I find the seat padding a bit thin. If I doubled the padding on the pan, I think I'd be Sitting pretty.