Florida Safari

CruzLike

Guru
Hi All
I'm interested in the coming Florida Safari ride Maria has promoted. The ride is April 15-20 in Live Oak Fl.

The format of this ride is to camp in one location and each day take a new route away and back to the camp site.

There are areas to pitch a tent, sleep inside or local motels.

I was most interested in the limited indoor sleeping. I wanted to start a dialog on, Who's coming and if you plan to sleep indoors.

Tuloose

Guru
I lived in Orlando for 28 years and was a member/board member of the FL Freewheelers club that puts on this ride.
I have done the ride many times, including when it was a true safari and took a different route every year, never spending more than 2 nights in one spot.
The logistics of that eventually became too time consuming so they switched to the one location at Live Oak.
This is also the ride where I met my wife in 1991, back before it became based in Live Oak.
We always camped because it's more fun to hang out with the group at the campground than to be sequestered in a motel.

Jeffrey Ritter

Hi, I am confirmed for the six days. I plan to tent camp and have confirmed there are abundant electric charging stations, outlets, toilets and showers. You may even choose to tent camp beside your car in some instances. I am content having the car there as extra storage of clothing, food, spare parts, etc.

I am a bit torn on whether to bring my Silvio 3.0 or my Silvio 4.0. I plan to do more bike touring this year, including on the 4.0 but I so like the sheer fun and speed of the 3.0. Bring both!?

Matt Fry, I will welcome your thoughts on the ride. We hope to do some training there later this Spring, in anticipation of trying to race it in October. Larry was bothered by the rollers in the first 100, more on the downhills, so much as to switch bikes.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Rick Mueller and I plan on being there and riding Sun, Mon, Tues. This will most likely be the first real riding I do since Oct. So far since then I have ridden twice for about 25 miles! It will be interesting to say the least!

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
I haven't had a chance yet to write a blog about the Bike Safari week. I wanted to put something brief up here to say what a great time I had, and to thank all the Cruzbike riders who came out and made it such a special event. We had 16 riders (5 women and 11 men) sharing the roads and sharing companionship under the Cruzbike tent with a cold beverage after rides of between 30 and 100 miles. I was very pleased with the routes around Live Oak, FL. While there were a few sections with rough pavement and/or busy traffic, the vast majority were beautiful and peaceful roads, some with thick canopies overhead. My mileage total for the 6 days of riding was 411 miles. This give me a good start on the season, not having put in many miles over the winter. Next on my calendar are a couple of Cal Tri triathlons; which, for the first time, allow recumbents, thanks to input from Cruzbike racer Jeffrey Ritter. PXL_20230417_152907161.jpg

Paul Mez

Hi All
I'm interested in the coming Florida Safari ride Maria has promoted. The ride is April 15-20 in Live Oak Fl.

The format of this ride is to camp in one location and each day take a new route away and back to the camp site.

There are areas to pitch a tent, sleep inside or local motels.

I was most interested in the limited indoor sleeping. I wanted to start a dialog on, Who's coming and if you plan to sleep indoors.
I'm coming. First year for me. My spouse coming too....but she rides a DF bike. We'll be camping in a hotel. This is her first multi-day ride so I want to ease her into it.

vmi1056

I will be there. First year for me and first event like this, looking forward to it. April super busy month in my world so I signed up for the 3 day but may only get to ride Saturday and Sunday. Staying at a local farm (about 15 min away) that have various sized campers spread out over the property so kind of like camping I guess. Might bring S40 for one day, Q45 for the next. Looking forward to it.
Vaughn