Frame pack bag for Q45

dule0911

Anybody tried fitting a long frame pack bag on the boom of the Q45? Something like this:

The thing that I'm most interested in - when loaded, does it affect the handling in any negative way or not? The cables might be an issue. Because of that, I'm planning to get one like in the picture above, just 6cm shorter in lenght (the one in the picture is 49cm). Also unsure if this will work when I (eventually) add a front deraileur.

I'm trying to add a little bit more storage space for one day rides, without the need to utilize the rack which I'm doing right now. Have the cruzbike sling pack, the small bag on the top of the boom also, but those two are small for rides in colder weather when I need to bring some dry clothing, food, etc. So trying to add more space without the need for a rack/big bag/pannier. I would like to avoid custom made, since I know it would take longer and much more trial & error then getting something already available.
If you have other suggestions for frame bags - please feel free to recommend.

Tried finding a similar thread but haven't found one, if it exists - please move/merge/whatever :)

dule0911

You are right about the weight, although it bothers me only while stationary, on the move I don't notice it. Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it, although at first glance there are a lot pricier then the one in the picture above, like 5-10x more :)

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I use a handlebar bag - an old one that has a sleeve for a map on top - that slips over the seat back perfectly and is out of the wind.

IMG_0032.JPG

You will have to use your imagination - the Cruzbikes are buried in the garage. The toy story VHS tape = seat back.

woodguy

860BF412-40F3-4921-AF57-C4C39FAFF1CC.jpeg

This is the set up I use. I have the Cruzbike rack in the back with a bag on it that fits enough stuff for me, along with the under seat bag for bike stuff. I don’t have a bag on the boom, but I do carry 40 oz of water with a drink tube. I have not had trouble with the extra weight on the boom.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
P1120742.JPG
I had no worries with side winds with this setup, in fact about 1/4 of the sideways movement compared to DFs, on Cycle Oregon 2013, with STRONG gusty winds!

The 1.8L Fastback boom bag weighs 1.5 kg, with 2 spare tubes, 3 tyre levers, patch kit, Leatherman Squirt e4, Topeak Multi-tool, Topeak Morph Turbo pump 350 mm long, Topeak Micro shock pump(no gauge), Lightweight locking cable and Brass lock.

dule0911

@benphyr
That's also a good idea, thanks. Those bags can be found on the cheap.

@woodguy
Nice drinking setup, like it! Since riding the recumbent I've never been 100% comfortable while getting the bottle out (behind or below the seat), especially on the uphill, with your setup it seems much better.

I use a similar setup to yours bag-wise, although I use a bottle for bike stuff instead of the underseat bag. I would just like to get rid of the rear rack/bag if possible, for one day rides where I don't need that much stuff.

@super slim
Thanks for sharing, this is exactly what I was interested in. The weight on the boom didn't bother you while turning/on descends? I found the the front end will vibrate a bit over 25mph (or thereabout) while going downhill even on smooth roads, not sure if added weight will upset it - but I doubt it since my legs are probably the heaviest thing on the front :)

super slim

Zen MBB Master
While riding I could not notice a heavy front end, even on tight slow turns!
While descending at speed, generally 20 kph faster than DFs, on 1000+ rider events, I would be knocked sideways 1/3 of that of DFs on windy days.
The Cruzbike design with the moving BB design, with legs connected must dampen steering movement a lot!

benphyr

Guru-me-not
While descending at speed,... I would be knocked sideways 1/3 of that of DFs on windy days.
The Cruzbike design with the moving BB design, with legs connected must dampen steering movement a lot!
It may also be related to side wind pushing against a greater surface area in front of the turning axis since there are chain stays, boom, chainring, cranks, feet and legs in front with slider and handlebar and arms behind compared with Diamond Frame where there is handlebar and a bit of arm in front and that is it for in front of the axis - everything else is behind that axis. This would tend to push the front in the direction that the wind is blowing which would induce an opposing lean - kind of self correcting. ( Not an expert - just a thought.)

Giloun

I fit a bag in the space behind the seat. There are bags out there with size that fit.IMG_20181206_143507.jpg
I add bags to the sides of the seat and one more bag behind the seat if I need more. Still without using the rack.
IMG_20190310_145953.jpg

Last edited:
I have converted a couple of trader joes freezer bags into underseat panniers as shown in the images. I sewed some webbing near the front of each pannier. The webbing loops over the frame in front of where the seat is attached to the frame. The back of each pannier is attached by webbing to a foot long piece of pvc pipe which runs perpendicular to the frame and is in turn held in place by a handlebar stem which is attached to the part of the frame which supports the seat back. A couple of pieces of old inner tube on the ends of the pic pipe prevent the panniers from sliding off. I have attached an old detergent bottle to the kickstand mount to prevent the panniers from rubbing against the rear wheel. I do all of my grocery shopping with this set up and also toured successfully from Spokane, Washington to Nelson, British Columbia and back a year and a half ago.
The bags are water proof except for the zipper so that when it rained, water collected inside. I made an additional cover to overlap the zippers from some old mylar (not shown) which I think keeps the water out when it rains, although I haven't had much rain since I made that improvement.

Attachments

• bike with 4 panniers.jpg
    bike with 4 panniers.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 97
  • t j panier1.jpg
    t j panier1.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 83
  • t j panier 2.jpg
    t j panier 2.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 87
  • t j panier 3.jpg
    t j panier 3.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 79

Jim Davis

View attachment 8888

This is the set up I use. I have the Cruzbike rack in the back with a bag on it that fits enough stuff for me, along with the under seat bag for bike stuff. I don’t have a bag on the boom, but I do carry 40 oz of water with a drink tube. I have not had trouble with the extra weight on the boom.

Hi - see from your photo that you have what looks like a headrest attached to an interesting looking saddle. I really need a headrest for my stock Q45 that I purchased last year. Where can I find this? Thanks, Jim

Jim Davis

Hi - see from your photo that you have what looks like a headrest attached to an interesting looking saddle. I really need a headrest for my stock Q45 that I purchased last year. Where can I find this? Thanks, Jim
Also, would I need to get a different saddle (like the one in your photo) that the headrest mounts to? Thanks.

woodguy

I ordered the headrest that is on my Q45 along with the Thor seat. You can search this forum for all kinds of posts about the "Thor". I got it about a year after I bought my Q45 to reduce recumbutt on long rides. I love both the seat and the headrest. You can read more about why I switched if you search on this forum for "Q45 across America". If you don't want to get a new seat, I do remember someone on this forum has a DIY headrest design with a piece of bendable aluminum. I was going to do that , but then I bought the Thor. I tried to search for that posting, but couldn't find it. I'm confident someone else smarter than me about how to navigate this forum will reply with a link to that post.

Giloun

I ordered the headrest that is on my Q45 along with the Thor seat. You can search this forum for all kinds of posts about the "Thor". I got it about a year after I bought my Q45 to reduce recumbutt on long rides. I love both the seat and the headrest. You can read more about why I switched if you search on this forum for "Q45 across America". If you don't want to get a new seat, I do remember someone on this forum has a DIY headrest design with a piece of bendable aluminum. I was going to do that , but then I bought the Thor. I tried to search for that posting, but couldn't find it. I'm confident someone else smarter than me about how to navigate this forum will reply with a link to that post.
This thread?
https://forum.cruzbike.com/threads/diy-headrest-for-q45.12323/#post-144964

Jim Davis

Do you think that the Thor headrest could mount to the back side of the stock Q45 seat, or would it end up at the wrong height or angle? Looking at the pictures, I assume that I'd have to drill some mounting holes, which is about the outer limit of my fabricating abilities! Thanks @woodguy

woodguy

I think the Thor headrest could be mounted to the stock Q45 seat by drilling a couple of holes in the seat. The angle you will need it at is dependent on how far back you have the seat reclined. Even on the Thor seat I had to shim the headrest to change the angle. I used a small block of wood cut into a triangle because I’m the woodguy, but it could be done with something as simple as washers on one of the bolts to adjust the angle. That would also require a longer bolt. You can do it!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I have a similar albeit much cruder rest on my V. In addition to the slide up and down adjustment I vary the padding thickness to dial in the angle. But I like the look of the new Thor rest. May have to give it a try