front disc brakes - possible?

judoman

I'd like to have front disc brakes on my conversion-kit Cruzbike. (I am planning a electric hub motor in the rear, so I want to have great stopping power)

Are there any front forks (or bolt-on brakes?) that permit using a disc-brake hub, with the Cruzbike system?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
judoman wrote: I'd like to have front disc brakes on my conversion-kit Cruzbike. (I am planning a electric hub motor in the rear, so I want to have great stopping power)

Are there any front forks (or bolt-on brakes?) that permit using a disc-brake hub, with the Cruzbike system?
If your fork is made of iron, then you might be able to weld it on.

Manalive

Thinking similar thoughts: I've just gotten my V2/K frame, and am planning to fabricate my own copies of the conversion kit front brackets, which

(a) instead of Jubilee clips to the fork, bolt onto the MTB fork's own disc mounts (I think the mounts will take the load in tension, although they're designed to work in compression!)

(b) have integral mounts for a rear disc caliper.

I'm pretty sure I have room (and if it seems tight, I can move the chainstay pivot slightly further forward - I don't mind a raised bottom bracket.) It'll take a while before it's working, largely because I currently have a full-time job in London while planning a marriage in Cambridge!

John, are there any watch-its for this process that occur to you?

Alex

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
The adapter brackets have to move the dropout spacing from 100mm to 135mm to allow the rear hub and cassette to attach to the fork, after it's turned around backwards.

The fork legs will occupy the area the brake disc would need to run in.

The only way I know of to put disc brakes on the front of a conversion is to fabricate a lower fork section, or find a used Sofrider/Freerider and scarf the fork from it.

Best,

Doug

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Once you move the front wheel forward so the disk doesn't interfere with the fork leg, you have lost trail.

If you know what trail is for, you'll know you why can't do without it.

judoman

What size is the necessary head-tube the Sofrider/Freerider fork? I am hoping 1 1/8" .

Is it possible to buy the fork alone?

JonB

Zen MBB Master
John Tolhurst wrote: Once you move the front wheel forward so the disk doesn't interfere with the fork leg, you have lost trail.

If you know what trail is for, you'll know you why can't do without it.
Once you move the discbrake to the front wheel you gotta be gentle on the handle...

Manalive

To John - ah yes - was being stupid. The disc is more than 50mm from the hub centreline. Was intending to keep trail as it is, for obvious reasons.

OK, scratch that plan. Fortunately, had not yet bought donor :-D