Front shock keeps deflating!

cycleguy

Hi all

I was just adjusting my front fork with the Kind Shock air pump, and when ever I unscrew it from the stem, all the air comes out of the shock! AM I missing something here? I do not remember doing anything different before!

Thanks
Harold

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I suspect it has a regular Schrader valve in it. If you have a valve core tool, make sure the core is tight. You should be able to get the tool at any auto parts store. Go ahead and get some new cores, they don't last forever. OTOH, I might be talking completely from my keester, too.

Mark

cycleguy

yes, it looks like a schrader valve... I've only pumped it up a few times since getting this Silvio...

Harold

I read this string with great interest. I followed the steps carefully and I still have an unresolved front suspension issue. I have replaced the 3 month old valve and made sure it is tight. I consistently put 150 psi in the front suspension every time I ride. About 50% of the time I "blow out" my suspension when I ride over a curb. See before, after and curb pictures included. It's a 3 or 4 inch standard driveway/sidewalk curb. I hit these at about 7 or 8 mph. I'm 220 lbs. The suspension boot just collapses. Is this normal? Is the bike ridable in this condition? In reading the installation instructions they mention the "sag"? What is that, the shape of the suspension boot? Any advice appreciated!!

"Deflated"

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hello Stevearino,

Could you please carry out the following test:

1) Remove the fork from the bike
2) Pump the shock up to pressure
3) Submerge the fork into water
4) Leave for some time

If bubbles come out the fork needs to be rebuilt and you should contact cruzbike directly so we can make convenient arrangements. If not, the fork is OK.

Hi John,
Yikes, that sounds serious. Okay I'll do it. In the meantime I rode again last night and the boot partially collapsed on the first curb I hit, slightly more on a second curb but by the time I got home (1 mile later) the boot recovered it's normal shape?? My hand pump (came used with the bike) reads 150 psi but another gage I have gives me a 50 psi reading immediately after?? I wonder if I have a faulty pump gage and I'm not getting enough pressure in the suspension?? I'm going to get a new hand pump and experiment a couple days before I take the fork off. I'll keep you posted. Let me know if any of this gives you any insights?

Thanks for the help!!

Stevearino

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Connecting another type of pump may well see a release of pressure, just a tiny amount escaping will greatly change the reading given.

You're right about the sensitivity since this air chamber must be very small. Just checking the suspension pressure with a tire gage almost completely deflates it. I continue to see my suspension boot flatten and return to normal as I ride which completely confuses me. I hate to do it since it will take me off the bike for a few days but I will do your fork test. OMG I may have to ride a regular bike..... :eek:
One of my three gages I'm using is obviously faulty too. I cornered that problem last night. Jeezzz what else is going to dog me? :twisted:

Thanks again!!!!!

Stevearino

Update: Front fork test complete. No bubbles. Subsequent rides show same visual changes in the fork boot as previously reported however pressure changes appear to be minimal. Of course this requires many valve pressure checks and re-inflations during and after riding. Typical pressure loss from day to day is similar to tires. I'm starting out with a little higher pressure (175 psi) which drops to about 140 psi upon disconnection of pump and then 115 to 130 psi after 20 miles or 24 hours. It appears to be stable after that until the next daily ride. Wife says, "Ignore the boot Bozo and ride!!" :roll: