future design modifications?

bikerjohn

I'd like to see a lighter Cruzbike model available complete.
While not being exclusively a "recumbent-only" biker, after more than 3800 "recumbent miles" on my Cruzbike, I am a confirmed believer in the "natural-aero" superiority of the recumbent design.

On my Cruzbike, I really enjoy the down hill speeds. Cycling into headwinds are easier -owing to the natural, aerodynamic-reclined riding position. I am convinced too, the FWD, MBB, SWB design of the Cruzbike is superior to the rear wheel drive line and design charateristics of other recumbents. It's not strictly a matter of opinion, having ridden other recumbent design.

I wish that Cruzbike or another recumbent manufacturer would market a FWD, MBB, fully suspended design that is lighter than my Sofrider. Why lighter? Simply stated: all things being equal, lighter bikes are faster bikes.

Cruzbike does market a lighter FWD, MBB, full suspension, "frame only" option, called the Silvio. But my sense of adventure, as far as modifications go, ends at tires, wheels, fenders, carriers, lights and the like. Don't get me wrong, I love "kit building"! A complete kit with all neccessary components and clear step by step instructions would be something I would like to put together. Building a bike from the frame-up without an "all in one package" would be too much frustration for me.

On the Sofrider and Freerider Cruzbike models, the front boom could be re-designed in a way that enables those bikes to "lose" weight. Rather than a "sliding" boom, the Cruzbike could be made with a lighter fixed boom. A fixed boom, available in different lengths, along with the seat and seat bracket adjustments, would accommodate a complete range of rider x-seams. I'm sure other design modifications to the chain stays and front fork could accommplish additional weight reductions too. Making the Cruzbike "Silvio" a complete built bike instead of a frame set would be nice!

http://www.bikejournal.com/profiles.asp?rname=bikerjohn&public=1

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
You make some valid points.

There are issues, though, with trying to market the Silvio as a complete bike. The main thing is; every individual is different and this is a high end bike aimed at people that want that sort of performance. The wrong component set-up on a bike with that kind of price tag will be a deal breaker. There are too many variables from the number of chainrings to the brand of componentry to the number of spokes and so on ad nauseum. I realize the same is true of every bike sold, but the Silvio is.... special.

My feelings are just the opposite of yours. I'd like a Sofrider, but not too thrilled with the components that come stock. I'd strip half that stuff off and put my own on, so I'd rather it was available as a frameset.

I guess you can't satisfy everybody, huh? :lol:

Mark

JonB

Zen MBB Master
SeanBell wrote: I just want colour options... I guess I'm not much of builder yet... :oops:
I want a mesh seat, or at least something that doesnt suck water and which allows my back to keep cool. Maybe a mesh seat with a solid slightly bigger "seat" a little behind it that could guide air into cool my back.