garmin odometer

mountainraine

so now I'm moving on to getting a new odometer. I had a new one put on the bike when I bought it and I hate it. I think I'm going to go with a Garmin, been researching the edge 200 and edge 500. Does anyone use either and have any advice? Thanks, Raine

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Raine,
I use my iPhone 5

Hi Raine,

I use my iPhone 5 and my Cyclemeter app, by Abvio, along with a Wahoo Blue SC (Speed and Cadence) sensor.

When I originally started researching various bike computers like the Garmins and others, I found I could pretty much do everything I wanted and more with my iPhone and Cyclemeter. Since I carry my phone anyway, I decided to just use it. If you don't have an iPhone there are some other apps out there with some similar features but I'm not familiar with them.

For long rides - centuries and longer I have an external battery to supplement the iPhone's battery. I used the external battery when I did the 2013 Bike Sebring Century with the screen set to stay on the entire time using GPS, bluetooth for the Wahoo SC as well as the Wahoo HR, the battery charge indicator on my phone was still showing 100% 7 1/2 hours later and the external battery was only down one bar.

Now I also have a Wahoo RFLKT which is sort of like a remote screen for the phone so the phone stays in a jersey pocket with the screen locked and I can use and control my Cyclemeter app on the phone using the RFLKT which you can customize pretty extensively. Using the RFLKT and keeping the iPhone's screen locked on a 70 mile ride the other weekend my battery was about 90% when I started and still had 36% remaining when I finished.

-Eric

bikerjohn

The Garmin 200 is great

If your stable has more than one bike you'll love the freedom of needing only one odometer. As simple as installing a mounting bracket on each bike.

BentBierz

If your stable has more than

"If your stable has more than one bike you'll love the freedom of needing only one odometer. As simple as installing a mounting bracket on each bike."

• I agree...my problem is I often times forget to set it for the bike I am riding. BTW...I have a Garmin 800.