Gear inch greedy—9-42 xdr cassette 11sp

Randyc3

Hi, wondering if anyone is running the above cassette on their 2x setup. Ready to trade in my 10-42 for a 9-42.

Henri

scatter brain
On my folding recumbent I have 1x 9-45 (with XPLR rear mech), because I can't put a 10-50 on 20" wheels. I have been warned strongly, that these small cogs make for bad efficiency.
It's nothing I could feel, downhill on my fold, but maybe it would matter for you.

I guess you have a reason against 1x 10-52, like you do get more renge with the double or want the more narrow gaps between gears, but I'll just mention it, for completeness.
Even with 9t, I would go 1x 9-52 before I went 2x again. :D

bentinitalia

I'm currently running a 1x on my S40 with a 9-52 cassette 12 sp and 42T chainring. Wanted the range for the hills, especially climbing since the downhill is usually twisty-turny, so there's little opportunity for ripping down at high speeds. My cassette goes from 9-10-12. . , 42-46-52. That 10% from 9 to 10 is negligible. I now wish I had gone with a 10-52 and a 46T chainring. However, I have no regrets going to a 1x, and I'd be perfectly happy with an 11 sp. 10-50 and 46T. I agree with Henri, not going back to a double chainring.

cruzKurt

Interesting, what type of derailleur are you guys running? I have a 46T up front and need a good rear derailleur, currently running a standard derailleur with 11-28 cassette.

bentinitalia

Running Sensah. Stop. I know, cheap Chinese brand. My criteria at the time (Feb. 2023) : 12 sp wide range, 1x, fully manual. I want to be able to make minor adjustments myself, not rely on batteries or hydraulic lines. The only available brand to meet those specs was Sensah. I've learned the idiosyncrasies of the occasionally sloppy shifting, otherwise no complaints. I'm running up 11k kilometers on the derailleur and brifters. Be careful to check that the derailleur is compatible with the gear/speed range of the cassette.

Randyc3

Hi, wondering if anyone is running the above cassette on their 2x setup. Ready to trade in my 10-42 for a 9-42.
Thanks all! Keeping the 2x (36qxl, 52qxl) since I “need” the maximum gear inch range. If I did go to a 1x I would loose range. Maybe do a Classified wheel in the future which is a 1x but shifts within the hub for a second set of gears. Cheers and safe riding!

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
I'm running SRAM Eagle 1x12 10-52 with 40t in front. With that, I have several 1st gear hills in my daily ride that I barely get up. Could use one more gear down, or lose 20 lbs.

Flying Dutchman

Thanks all! Keeping the 2x (36qxl, 52qxl) since I “need” the maximum gear inch range. If I did go to a 1x I would loose range. Maybe do a Classified wheel in the future which is a 1x but shifts within the hub for a second set of gears. Cheers and safe riding!
I looked at that Classified rear hub, very interesting. However the issue that you might have is that the thru-axle is made for DF road bikes. The CB requires a slightly longer thru-axle. Looking at that Classified hub, the wireless receiver is built in to the thru-axle so it can't easily be replaced. Of course this is from just looking at the pictures - no hands-on experience.

cruzKurt

I'm running SRAM Eagle 1x12 10-52 with 40t in front. With that, I have several 1st gear hills in my daily ride that I barely get up. Could use one more gear down, or lose 20 lbs.
Man, I don't ride where you ride, I can't imagine running out of gear with that setup.

Black Hawk Down

Senior Rookie
Man, I don't ride where you ride, I can't imagine running out of gear with that setup.
I ride heavy at 225 lbs. Plus I put heavy 2" Mondale tires on it and the S40 fork. A rack and trunk on the back filled with tools and supplies. The bike, fully loaded, weighs 40 lbs. I was planning to use it for small credit card tours, but now I've changed my mind and bought a Q45 frame. I'm transferring all the relevant components from the V20 to the Q45 and will repopulate the V20 with original gear. Hopefully, the V20 will be lighter and aerodynamic and the Q45 will be a touring workhorse.