Genesis Hi Spark for conversion?

Velo Tobbit

I saw this bike at a Walmart in my area. What do you think? Looks like a real possibility to me. Aluminum frame. The Walmart site says it's 26" but it's definitely 700c.

Genesis%20hi%20spark%20700c(1).jpg

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Seat height is always the big

Seat height is always the big concern, but it looks like it might be good there (you want your inseam + 4 inches). If you're good there, then that might make a very nice conversion.

Please keep us updated (and we'll want pictures - you might as well take them during the conversion, too :D ).

Cheers,
Charles

Velo Tobbit

I'll keep you updated

I'm pretty tall (6'2") so seat height should not be a problem. I like this model because I'd like to go for more of a road bike with my conversion. Now I just need to find the time and maybe sell my DF to help with the costs.
regular_smile.gif
Thanks for your input. I'll keep you updated.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
I think this could be a really good conversion...

Top tube is below the bottom of the head tube; looks like the components are good enough to start with.

A couple of my conversions have been non-suspended bikes with 700c wheels. This bike should work out well.

Let us know if you run into any issues.

Best,

Doug

baov

So Tobbit, did you go ahead

So Tobbit, did you go ahead with the conversion?

I can't really tell from the picture but are there eyelets in the seatstays for rack and fenders? I see those two holes are filled with screws, maybe screws to fix replaceable dropouts?

Velo Tobbit

Out of stock

Well, last I checked, this model was out of stock on line and in stores so I never got a chance to do a conversion with one. I'm not sure what they were thinking because they seemed to only be available for like 2 weeks or something. Pity. I'll probably end up converting something else instead. I'm not sure about the eyelets. I didn't examine this one too closely in the store because I was sort of in a hurry.