Getting ready for winter...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote:
Some of you don’t have snow don’t you miss it? ;)

Peder

I miss it and I'm OK with that. :D

I was just talking to the missus last night, need to get some undershirts and some warmer socks for winter riding. I'm kind of looking forward to cooler temps and kind of not... The first six or seven miles are pretty brutal on the coldest of days.

Mark

currystomper

Hi All

Anyone though of a trke conversion for the winter - then you wouldn't mind a slide or two....

http://www.bikecare.co.uk/tribike.html

Brian L

JonB

Zen MBB Master
currystomper wrote: Hi All

Anyone though of a trke conversion for the winter - then you wouldn't mind a slide or two....

Brian L
Yes i have, but i would copy the Apax.ca, and have 2 independent rear wheels.

currystomper wrote: Hi All

Brian L

This company wrote this on their homepage;
“Notice to USA visitors
Please note we are a UK company based solely in the UK. It is with regret we can no longer supply our products to the USA or any country outside the UK. Because of recent price increases for shipping it has become very expensive to ship to the USA and due to the exchange rate it has now made supplying products overseas uneconomical.”

The economy has also an effect on the bike industry!
Three wheels are better for some but I found the Sofrider to work well also in winter with the right tires. This is the second winter I have used it and will also use it next winter if I still am healthy.

Peder

Sean did you use your Freerider this winter?
How did it function?
I just changed my tires yesterday and put clip pedals on again.
The Sofrider is now faster and makes less noise. :)
The winter has been over here for several weeks but I kept the winter tires on just in case.
They had a snow storm in the northern part of Norway yesterday not that usual this time of year. http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/04/19/nyheter/innenriks/ver/storm/5817236/
Any of you still have winter?

Peder

MailSeanBell

Well... I rode up till January but then I took a 2 week vacation and didn't get back into it. Saskatoon does a pretty bad job of cleaning the streets and the residents aren't much better at cleaning the walks so... it isn't really safe to ride any bike here when the snow gets thick.

The times that I did ride I stuck to the trails. I liked it but what I found was that the front tire would spin out on the uphills (I have two switch backs to climb in and out of the river valley here). Also, I think I'm still on a learning curve for controlling myself by instinct on the bike (the feet still fight the hands a little). I think that I would be likely to ride it if the streets were a little better.

I think that you were right about the tires in terms of needing the spikes in the middle and not just on the sides. I'm moving to Edson Alberta right away so if it looks like I'm riding through the winter this coming year I'll likely upgrade. Edson is not a big town so walking might be more likely though...

Having said that, the snow is gone and I'm riding again and loving it.

SeanBell wrote: Well... I rode up till January but then I took a 2 week vacation and didn't get back into it. Saskatoon does a pretty bad job of cleaning the streets and the residents aren't much better at cleaning the walks so... it isn't really safe to ride any bike here when the snow gets thick.

The times that I did ride I stuck to the trails. I liked it but what I found was that the front tire would spin out on the uphills (I have two switch backs to climb in and out of the river valley here). Also, I think I'm still on a learning curve for controlling myself by instinct on the bike (the feet still fight the hands a little). I think that I would be likely to ride it if the streets were a little better.

I think that you were right about the tires in terms of needing the spikes in the middle and not just on the sides. I'm moving to Edson Alberta right away so if it looks like I'm riding through the winter this coming year I'll likely upgrade. Edson is not a big town so walking might be more likely though...

Having said that, the snow is gone and I'm riding again and loving it.

It’s good you are riding again and also that the winter is over.
They are good at clearing the roads and bike paths here where I live. We can get very much snow some years for several days some times a week then they have problems but when it stops they clear it up. We have also had winters with no snow.
In 1954 before I was born it snowed for 3 weeks nonstop they got 3 meters of snow!
They use salt on some of the main roads which I also have to ride for a short distance on my commute. The salt is not friendly to my Sofrider.

Peder

JonB

Zen MBB Master
Peder Torgersen wrote: They use salt on some of the main roads which I also have to ride for a short distance on my commute. The salt is not friendly to my Sofrider.
I dont think salt is friendly to any bike or vehicle.

teacherbill

Mark B wrote: I'm glad to say we made it through another devestatingly tough SoCal winter! :roll:

Mark

Once again I am slow on the typing ..... Mark you took the words out of my mouth about being glad winter is over, but I am on the central coast of Florida. :D

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
teacherbill wrote:
Mark B wrote: I'm glad to say we made it through another devestatingly tough SoCal winter! :roll:

Mark

Once again I am slow on the typing ..... Mark you took the words out of my mouth about being glad winter is over, but I am on the central coast of Florida. :D

Actually, the summers are perhaps more unbearable than the winters around here.

Mark

teacherbill

Mark B wrote:
teacherbill wrote:

Mark

Actually, the summers are perhaps more unbearable than the winters around here.

Mark
Personally I feel that I can handle the heat a bit easier than I can the cold. I think it has to do with Arthur calling my name after being an athlete during my youth. Anyway on my rides I always schedule a mini-market along the path for a little draining and re-filling of the tanks. :)