Getting realistic about climbing with a V20

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
paco1961 said:
standing in the pedals and pounding big watts
On a Cruzbike, at least you can lean forward and pull the bars, which has no effect on a Grasshopper. On the negative side, you look psychologically a bit of a twit when your front wheel slips, which does not happen on a Grasshopper.

I’m so new in the recumbent world that I didn’t know what a Grasshopper was, so I looked it up. That would be great for travel.

It’s already hard to not look like a twit while wearing lycra.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I assumed that if you are talking about standing up or pulling the bars and getting a psychological advantage you must be in a race in which everybody is in lycra. On a recumbent it is hard not to look like a twit while wearing shorts.

I have had my Grasshopper for 14 years and lots of miles. It used to be my only bike. It is one of the earliest made so it does not fold.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
I have an S40, not a V20 but I'll respond anyway. I'm currently alternating (not strict rotation) between the S40 and a DF. The S40 is apples-to-apples about 8-10 lbs heavier than the DF. I have power meters on both bikes (Asioma pedals on the DF, PowerTap hub on the S40). I've pretty conclusively established that my power output and climbing speeds are essentially the same. I've compared results between both bikes on three different hills, two that are long but not particularly steep (4-5%) and one that's long with a steep (11%) section. Again, the results across a number of efforts on both bikes are essentially the same.

More details for those who are interested here and here.
Very interesting!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
I have an S40, not a V20 but I'll respond anyway. I'm currently alternating (not strict rotation) between the S40 and a DF. The S40 is apples-to-apples about 8-10 lbs heavier than the DF. I have power meters on both bikes (Asioma pedals on the DF, PowerTap hub on the S40). I've pretty conclusively established that my power output and climbing speeds are essentially the same. I've compared results between both bikes on three different hills, two that are long but not particularly steep (4-5%) and one that's long with a steep (11%) section. Again, the results across a number of efforts on both bikes are essentially the same.

More details for those who are interested here and here.

Very interesting analysis. Both posts confirm many of my observations. Barring inherent bias (that cyclists, like fishermen, have in spades!) it all seems amazingly consistent. Seems like the summary is similarish speed with lowerish watts on the 8 lb heavier CB = slightly greater overall efficiency. And that efficiency could come down entirely to aero difference. Either way, as much as I love my CBs I still miss being able to stand in the saddle from time to time.

As far as not being an out and our CB man, get yourself a V! Love my S40 (my fastest century is on my S40, 27 minutes faster on the same course compared to my titanium, “racing” Lynskey DF) and it is way fun banging around on big, cushy rubber. But if you like speed (whatever speed means to you - we all have our own fun speed) the V is an absolute blast. If you like the S on rolling hill segments, the V on the same segment will have Scottie himself calling for more of it!

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I totally agree. The V's speed is addictive. Most of my friends who ride are mountain bikers, and they cannot understand how I can possibly enjoy a long road ride, or how I could sometimes choose to go on a long solo ride on the V rather than join them on a mountain bike ride. I've tried to explain to them how satisfying that low-to-the-ground, flying along sensation is, but they don't really get it.

Strava says that I am just about as fast on my last-generation S30, but in my head the V feels noticeably faster. If, for some ungodly reason, I had to have only bike, the V would be it.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
That is why I say "if for some ungodly reason..." For me, the proper number seems to be four: an Ibis HD3 to handle the mountain bike duty, a Lynskey Bootleg for gravel adventures, a CB V20 for rip-roaring road rides, and, now that I've fit a proper rack onto my S30, the S30 for everything else (commuting, social rides, errands). Which means that I will be putting my S40 up for sale soon. This achieves proper garage equilibrium: my four bikes to my wife's four kayaks. Marital equilibrium.

One bike? Heavens forfend!

paco1961

Zen MBB Master
1) V20
2) S40 (first ever recumbent) now sporting 38mm rubber for light gravel and slush stomping.
3) Ti Singlespeed - custom frame built up from the high-flange Dura Ace track hubs - my wife calls it the Sunday Convertible. It is as pretty as it sounds!
4) $74 aluminum alloy Nashbar track frame built into singlespeed w chrome lugged fork and low end everything. Still the fastest bike I’ve ever ridden! First bike ever built up from bare hubs.