Giant Warp DS3 conversion

akfishers

cruzbike_giant.JPG
I thought I'd share my experience with my conversion. I used a Giant Warp DS# as a donor bike, which I bought at a local pawn shop. But I also used parts from my now retired 22 year old Bridgestone mountain bike. The process went fairly smoothly. I had troubles finding a seat post which would work, so I eventually cut off the top of the Giant's seat tube and inserted an old aluminum tent pole which happened to fit nicely in the tube and taper to fit the kit's seat. I'm still figuring out my handlebars. I either want to get another handlebar with more sweep or put on bar ends(likely pointed down). I have acouple of fingers which try to go numb on me with the current handlebat position--which is still better than having my whole hands go numb which is what happened on my old mountain bike!
I had a solar panel mounting bracket lying around so I used that as a rear rack an have attached a milk crate to it. I use the bike mainly as a commuter(13 miles round trip) so I can through my backpack in the crate and ride.
I've put maybe 300 miles on the bike so far and definitely have enjoyed it. I should have checked nuts and bolts a little earlier to retighten them. I actually has one of the bolts fall out which connect the two seat parts--I've never had a nylon locking nut fall off before! But an easy fix after a not quite as comfortable ride. Found a few other nuts to tighten after that.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
One option...

Is to flip the handlebar you have upside-down, and rotate it 90 degrees. Then the rearward "sweep" of the bar becomes a downward angle for the grips. Could be with these bars, all you have to do is rotate them 90 degrees rearward and down.

I've done this several times, seems to work out pretty well while you're trying to find that perfect handlebar.

Nice conversion job.

Cheers,

Doug