Great looking bike, a few questions please..

bokes

Are there options for carrying bags/panniers? Are there eyelets near the rear axle for a rear rack? Can one attach a pannier or bag to the backrest?

Any possibility of special ordering a new front triangle with an eccentric BB, for mounting an internally geared hub with a belt drive? Can you say if the front triangle is steel or aluminum? (Might have my local framebuilder weld on an EBB)

Are there any other color options?
thanks in advance
I really like the versatility too.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi Bokes,

The seat mount will accept an MTB clamp-on rack.

The rear swing arm has braze-ons to accept a rack mounted on the swing arm; we have not worked out a front fastening for the swing arm rack (only because I haven't assembled a Quest yet.)

The front triangle affords a standard 68mm english-thread bb - You'd need an eccentric that fits the standard shell. All front triangle components are aluminum.

A belt drive would need a tensioning device as the dropout design is vertical.

Only one gorgeous color offered at this time.

I'm loving this one, and I haven't even ridden it yet.

Best,

Doug

Gromit

Guru
Hardtailcruzer wrote: Hi Bokes,

The seat mount will accept an MTB clamp-on rack.

The rear swing arm has braze-ons to accept a rack mounted on the swing arm; we have not worked out a front fastening for the swing arm rack (only because I haven't assembled a Quest yet.)
The large hole through the rear swinging arm is obviously the end of the tube that the rear shock attaches to. A piece of tubing with screw threads in each end could be slid through this rear shock tube to form a mount for the front of a swinging arm rack. If it was slightly shorter than the tube that it passes through then some large flat (penny?) washers would clamp against the frame. The swinging arm rack front mounts could be sandwiched between the large washers and the rack mounting bolt heads.
There are two more threaded holes (braze-ons) visible on the main frame under the seat. The spacing looks a little tight to be for a rack. I assume that they're for bottle cages rather than an under-seat rack?

Any chance of some more pictures of the Quest, especially a rear/back of seat view? :)

Regards
Gromit

Gromit

Guru
Does the Quest have mounting points/threaded holes in its rear swinging arm and front forks for fenders/mudguards?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Gromit wrote: ... If it was slightly shorter than the tube that it passes through then some large flat (penny?) washers would clamp against the frame. The swinging arm rack front mounts could be sandwiched between the large washers and the rack mounting bolt heads.
Yes, I'd implement that with a 8mm OD sleeve with M6 internal thread. I'd use spacing collars around that sleeve so that the bolt tension clamps the sides of the swing arm to the end of the shock. That is important.
Gromit wrote:
There are two more threaded holes (braze-ons) visible on the main frame under the seat. The spacing looks a little tight to be for a rack. I assume that they're for bottle cages rather than an under-seat rack?
Yes.
Gromit wrote:
Any chance of some more pictures of the Quest, especially a rear/back of seat view? :)

Regards
Gromit

Gromit

Guru
John Tolhurst wrote:
Yes, I'd implement that with a 8mm OD sleeve with M6 internal thread. I'd use spacing collars around that sleeve so that the bolt tension clamps the sides of the swing arm to the end of the shock. That is important.
John, I had assumed that the welded tube end that I could see, passed right through the bottom, eye end of the shock absorber and was welded at its other end again to the other side of the swing arm. I thought that the eye end of the shock had some sort of split collar clamp where it fitted over that continuous, welded in tubing. Rather than one length, is it two separate stubs? One fitted into the shock end eye from one side and one from the other? In that case, maybe some kind of expanding bolt similar to a rawlbolt (trade name) could fit into the welded stubs to hold the rack's front end?

Thank you for the picture. May we have a few more please? :)

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hello Gromit,
it clamps in the way a quick release clamps a hub. Also, the pin can carry shear load, unlike a quick release. But what it does need is compressive clamping, because without the bolt at the shock and the bushing assembly where it attaches to the main frame and the hub clamped at the other end, the swingarm would lack the necessary rigidity. Prior to assembly, only the kickstand plate connects one side to the other.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Hmm, a rawl bolt. That works like a rawl plug. A bit hit and miss, one never know exactly when the spread will realise its full friction on the wall and the protruding studs can end up projecting odd amounts. Disassembly is also a bit fraught. I'll restate the case for a long 8mm OD axle, with M6 threads in each end that provide clamping through any added accessories, rather like an aheadset system. Such things are called seatpins, available in this length, perhaps not.

jalexartis

Congrats John & Cruzbike family. The Quest is a sweet looking bike. I'd like to publish on my blog. May I have pictures of it folded. Thanks! --jim

Gromit

Guru
Thanks for all of the explanations JT.
I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the construction of the Quest. I only suggested the expanding bolt idea as my original sleeve idea was starting to sound a bit overcomplicated. I agree that expanding bolts have their place and I guess that due to the potential for unreliable clamping that it isn't in a Quest! Setting some sort of tightening torque would be a nightmare. :roll:

BTW You haven't answered my earlier post about threaded holes for mudguards/fenders. :)

More pictures please. :)

Edit
I'm getting "Access Denied" at the main Quest web page. Is that because you are making amendments to it JT?

currystomper

More questions John, sorry

looks good... I will have to start saving!!

I have a Pacific reach with 451 wheels - looking it up on the internet it has a 52 tooth ring and a 11-30 back sprocket. What is the gearing on the Quest, if it is as fast as my Reach but more aero its going to need one "big dinner" plate up front to stop you spinning out.

What a problem to have !!

Currystomper

WhiteSilvio

Hi John,
I too have a couple of "Quest"ions :) ...Sorry about that.
Is there going to be technical specifications page for the Quest on the Cruzbike site?
(Maybe that's what you are updating at the moment and hence why "Access Denied"?)
I'm interested in the overall weight of the 26" wheel equipped model. Is it lighter or the same weight as a Sofrider?
And also in the "group-set" used in the drive-train.
Disregarding the folding aspect of the Quest, it appears to be a slightly more "adjustable" bike than the Sofrider, maybe more versatile. Is this a fair observation?
On the folding side of things, is there a case that comes with the Quest, or maybe a case is an option, or does one make ones own arrangements?

Regards,
John R

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Heres the spec of the Quest. I took out all the mind bending stuff like how long each cable housing is but left enough so that enquiring minds know exactly what they're getting. :) Let me know any questions that are not covered but should be, thanks!

http://www.cruzbike.com/content/quest-specification

kidneyboy

is the front triangle the same on the 20" bike and the 26"? in the pics i have seen the fork looks the same but the rest of the front end seems specific to the tire size.
a kit for a 20" tire would be cool.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
John,
What are the bolt hole sizes on the frame under the seat, and could they be used for a pannier rack for two 15 L panniers.
Could the rear seat post take a 10 kg rear rack?

The disassemble video is not viewable on my system using firefox.
Could you post some photos and steps for disassembley?
What box size would be needed for the whole bike?

Would the 26" Quest be better than my V1 Softrider, for an unsupported ride around the south Island of New Zealand in Feb 2011?

Regards

Super Slim?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Super Slim wrote: John,
What are the bolt hole sizes on the frame under the seat, and could they be used for a pannier rack for two 15 L panniers.
They are M5 spaced for a bottle cage, but positioned also for use to hang panniers. The rear seat post will take 10kg rack, yes.
Super Slim wrote:

The disassemble video is not viewable on my system using firefox.
Could you post some photos and steps for disassembley?
Ah, I will upload it again, if other videos are viewable then this should also be.
Super Slim wrote:
What box size would be needed for the whole bike?
Add another 4" or 5" to the width, with the small wheels. Actually, the wheelbox for the 26" wheels is much larger than for the whole bike. :) Box dimensions are close to 750 x 205 x 620.
Super Slim wrote:
Would the 26" Quest be better than my V1 Softrider, for an unsupported ride around the south Island of New Zealand in Feb 2011?
Super Slim
Its what I would take for that ride, depending on the amount of luggage. If I could use my Silvio I would always use that, but if there is more luggage and packing for the plane is needed then Quest would be the ticket.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
John Tolhurst wrote:
Super Slim wrote: John,
They are M5 spaced for a bottle cage, but positioned also for use to hang panniers.
Weight limit?

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
John Tolhurst wrote: Hmm, a rawl bolt. That works like a rawl plug. A bit hit and miss, one never know exactly when the spread will realise its full friction on the wall and the protruding studs can end up projecting odd amounts. Disassembly is also a bit fraught. I'll restate the case for a long 8mm OD axle, with M6 threads in each end that provide clamping through any added accessories, rather like an aheadset system. Such things are called seatpins, available in this length, perhaps not.

I no longer think this is a good approach. A better approach is a strap from the front of the rack to the 5mm threaded eyelet on the kickstand mount.