Greatest Fear Overcome - CruzBikes are not that hard to ride

CruzRider

Today I overcame my greatest (cycling) fear of late.

You see, I have three CruzBikes. And zero recumbent experience. Before today, I have not successfully ridden any on the road. I also crashed one (Larry’s T50 in Dayton) out the gate - thankfully only a broken seat. Larry is the nicest guy.

You may ask, why I have so many CruzBikes. Turns out it is the only bike I can tolerate on the trainer. So, for a few months, I have been churning trainer miles happily on my S40 and V20.

I recently acquired a used T50e, which seemed a logical investment to compress the learning curve. I think that was a great decision.

I kinda followed the learning guidance. A week ago, I did the Fred Flintstone for a half hour down a slope. I then took a long break. Today, I was on the bike and everything seemed to click. I rode an hour around the neighborhood, much to the amusement of my neighbors.

Of course, the motor helps get it started. But I am able to ride well after. Need to improve on the style a bit. Also need to figure out how to take it easy on the knees. But much to my relief, I am almost effortlessly riding a straight line after just an hour.

So, for all of those on the fence: CruzBikes are not that hard to ride.

The best entry point though I think is a T50e. I am not sure why this bike is no longer available to buy new. It makes getting stated so easy. It is unfortunate that some people are starting on the S40 and V20, only to then sell them with just a few miles. Of course, kudos to those who can ride these racy bikes out the gate.

I am looking forward to many more comfortable rides on my Cruzbikes.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Good on ya Cruz rider. I went straight from a triathlon position to a V20 and partly due to my thick skull during the transition, which actually helped in other unexpected ways, it took about 2 weeks before I felt comfortable enough to take it on the bike path. Basically, I pancaked from a face down to a face up position, and since I didn't do much Slip-n-Sliding or tobogganing as a kid to get my brain wired correctly, my path was longer than most. Hell, I always slid head first in baseball so I didn't even get a small feel of the reclined position then. A nearby bike mechanic Flintstoned across the small parking lot, turned around and stuck his feet on the pedals. He wobbled a little but he was getting rpms. When he stopped I was like "GIVEMETHAT!" when he planted his feet to helicopter my V20 the other direction for another go.

Seriously though, I was thinking that there must be a way to suspend a Cruzbike that will allow movement on rollers but not fall down so new riders can have a much shorter transition than mine.

Velocivixen

Thanks for taking time to post your experience. It encourages me to know how you were able to just get on with it, and having it work out. I imagine having “ridden” them on a trainer gave you some advantage?

CruzRider

A nearby bike mechanic Flintstoned across the small parking lot, turned around and stuck his feet on the pedals. He wobbled a little but he was getting rpms. When he stopped I was like "GIVEMETHAT!" when he planted his feet to helicopter my V20 the other direction for another go.

Funny. My bike mechanic and reluctant partner in bike mischief told me the T50 is not rideable. I am going to give him a demo this weekend.

I may be more than a couple weeks from a bike path. The bike paths here are not all that wide and still full of pedestrians. Some cold weather will help.

Kudos to you for making the plunge with a V20!

CruzRider

I imagine having “ridden” them on a trainer gave you some advantage?
I imagine it helped bridge the gap in my recumbent experience. It did feel natural sitting back and putting my feet up. Pedaling was a different ball game though.

How is that q45 doing?

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats! Indeed the historical lore of “Cruzbikes are hard to ride” is a good part myth and also our bikes have evolved just enough over the years that riding one is - for some coming into the world of recumbents - actually easier than “traditional” (wherever that term came from) recumbent RWD bikes.

We have refined the geometries just enough that they are to many people second nature after a very short time.

Ever get your entire foot caught on the wrong side of a wheel of a short wheelbase RWD ‘bent while struggling up a hill? That will send you into the tarmac fast. No heel strike on a Cruzbike.

Soon you will be tooling about no-hands! Not a real usable practical skill… but on a Cruzbike actually doable.

CruzRider

This is where the thick skull was helpful. Keep at it!

Thanks Frito and Robert.

I thickened my skull and took my bike on to the bike path and beyond into the park. I took inspiration from Robert’s video and relaxed my grip. I have to agree that the T50e is very intuitive to ride.

I am learning some interesting things like the push-slide-start method and the importance of picking just the right gear/boom length.

I have a total of three hours on the bike so far. Looking forward to continuing practicing through the winter. I will probably transition to the s40 in the spring if all goes according to plan.

Boreen bimbler

My first post here. Well done for sticking with it. Heres my story.

I've been riding bikes a lot for 50 years (BMX, MTB, road) and didn't think it would be too hard to ride the S40 with some practice. Little did I know how different being on your back was.

I did go on the trainer a bit at first as I was waiting for a hose for the rear brake. It might have helped a bit, not sure. It certainly helped me set it up.

First time out was in a car park. First time off and did a half pedal and thought wow, thats weird. Second go did 3 pedals. Next time I looked to a point in the car park an thought "I'm getting there". I made it, was quite chuffed and tried to learn to turn. After 15min I took it for a tentative 2km ride with a lot of concentration.

Although I got the hang of basically riding it quite quickly it took the first 500km to be able to stop concentrating a lot. 1000km to feel a bit comfortable. 1500km to feel ok and 2000km for it to feel pretty natural. Getting a mirror helped the process.

I got the S40 due to medical issues meaning I got very uncomfortable on a DD bike, especially on long rides. Havn't one any proper long stuff on it yet due to house renovation but it certainly works for the comfort with the only aches in the legs. Very happy with my choice. I'd love to try a V20 but am in Ireland so not much chance of that.

In my opinion it's well worth putting in the time on a cruzbike.

CruzRider

Boreen, great to read your story. Thanks once again to you and the forum for all the encouragement. As a result, I find myself attempting to accelerate the learning curve.

I took my bike once again today for my third ride. My astonishment at the ease of riding the T50e continues. I switched to clipless pedals and it was no big deal. As many have stated, it makes the bike even easier to ride. So easy in fact that I am able to ride hands free along a half mile circle in my park. Not as stylishly as Robert Holler, but just as smoothly. Astonished!

Having mastered the start from a dead-stop, I was flying high, but then I hit some hills at the end of my two hour ride. It must have been the tired legs or the traffic, but I struggled plenty on the hills. More practice needed!

The fun continues …

Boreen bimbler

Sounds good to me. I can't ride the S40 no handed.
I forgot about the pedals. I started on flats and found it easier once I clipped in.
I love the hills but naturally climb out of the saddle a lot so I too find them hard on the cruzbike. Shallower ones arn't a problem just sustained 15%+ type stuff although I manage short bursts over 20% with a bit of huffing and puffing.

CruzRider

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Just wanted to add a quick note as this has turned into a journal of sorts.

I took my T50e out again this weekend on a remote bike trail. I pumped up the tires to 70psi (they were at 35) to avoid punch flats. The trail had gotten bumpy since the last time I rode it. Ended up with a sore back and recumbutt after just an hour. My previous outdoor rides had been almost two hours. I can also ride the trainer for a hour easily. Multiple lessons Learned on the importance of comfort. On the plus side, the pedaling is getting smoother.

Anyone know if the T50e rims are tubeless compatible?

Last edited:

Terrarium

Congrats! Indeed the historical lore of “Cruzbikes are hard to ride” is a good part myth and also our bikes have evolved just enough over the years that riding one is - for some coming into the world of recumbents - actually easier than “traditional” (wherever that term came from) recumbent RWD bikes.

We have refined the geometries just enough that they are to many people second nature after a very short time.

Ever get your entire foot caught on the wrong side of a wheel of a short wheelbase RWD ‘bent while struggling up a hill? That will send you into the tarmac fast. No heel strike on a Cruzbike.

Soon you will be tooling about no-hands! Not a real usable practical skill… but on a Cruzbike actually doable.

@Robert Holler My only critique of the instructional material is that Fred Flintstone just wasn't feasible on my S40. It's really more skateboarding. Is there a good time to call you this week? I think I need a new pivot clamp. This thing won't stop squeaking at any torque value.

Always-Learnin

Vendetta Love
@Robert Holler My only critique of the instructional material is that Fred Flintstone just wasn't feasible on my S40. It's really more skateboarding. Is there a good time to call you this week? I think I need a new pivot clamp. This thing won't stop squeaking at any torque value.
Terrarium, no doubt you already know this, but...make sure that you have the 3 washers installed correctly, grease on the pivot bolt, and correct torque (I believe it is 15nm but others can chime in if I'm wrong). This resolved 'squeaking' (better creaking) on both my 2020 V20 and my 2021 S40 at the pivot clamp. Good luck...

Terrarium

Terrarium, no doubt you already know this, but...make sure that you have the 3 washers installed correctly, grease on the pivot bolt, and correct torque (I believe it is 15nm but others can chime in if I'm wrong). This resolved 'squeaking' (better creaking) on both my 2020 V20 and my 2021 S40 at the pivot clamp. Good luck...
is there a typo here. 15nm is a lot.

Silverbackbob

Well, the Silvio deal fell through. Now to decide between a Q45 or an S40! And figure out where to come up with the extra $$$! I’m retired so part time job here I come. Why do all of my hobbies have to cost so much??

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Well, the Silvio deal fell through. Now to decide between a Q45 or an S40! And figure out where to come up with the extra $$$! I’m retired so part time job here I come. Why do all of my hobbies have to cost so much??
Bummer Bob - Check your private msg board

Velocivixen

I thought I’d chime in here. I’m encouraged to see the various posts regarding your continued progress. I bought my Cruzbike in early June, 2023 & spent about 4-5 weeks learning to ride. It got too hot out once summer got here so I didn’t ride it. Then I bought a lightly used Greenspeed GT20 trike & have been roaming around on that now that it’s cool out.
I wonder what it will be like once I get back on my Q45? Somewhere during that time, I hopped on the Cruzbike & was happily surprised that my riding techniques had sort of “gelled”. Despite it having been a month or 6 weeks I think I was slightly improved over my previous rides.

CruzRider

@Velocivixen I am glad you are riding, regardless of which bike. It is awesome to be able to do something so enjoyable and good for you. But, welcome back to the Q45! It is interesting how the brain rewires itself.

I myself have ridden outside only once since my previous post. That was this past Saturday. I lost a couple of weeks to health problems. Frustrating, So, I was glad to get out again.

It is “super” cold in Indiana now. So, I am doing trainer rides. But the S40 is getting built up. So, if I get the weather break, I look forward to riding that soon and compare to my fantastic T50e.

Velocivixen

I bought some lightly used front/rear fenders & Cruzbike rear rack for the Q45 & haven’t bothered to even install them. Our daytime high temps are in the mid-‘40’s so not extreme, but enough to make it cold to sit outside in the garage & do the work. I suppose I could bring it in the house - it has lots of natural light so I’d probably be able to see what I was doing! I’m confessing this here publicly, in part, to help hold myself responsible. I’ll post before & after photos as “evidence”. lol