Has anyone dismantled a Silvio Kindshock fork?

Paruig

I want to remove the suspension part of the Kindshock EXA fork and need some help.
Removing the two grub screws from the upper part (see pic) does not seem to release anything.
Does anyone know how to get it apart?

Attachments

• Silvio Fork.png
    Silvio Fork.png
    703.6 KB · Views: 12
You may want to talk with Robert Holler at Cruzbike. I don’t think it is possible to put a different steerer tube on the Silvio 2. I wanted to do this also but I didn’t do it. I think it was because I was told it won’t work.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
If you are looking for the Silvio fork (depending on how old of version yours is) we likely have spares that are new/old stock at the warehouse. I would have to see some pics of the for and bike to be sore - the fork/stay interface changed wildly all the time back then...and the batches of bikes were smaller...and it was rare for lots of spares to be made... making support of the older bikes a real challenge.

Those kind shocks are not really meant to be serviced - they were kind of a "solid state" thing and also worked in theory but not in practice. And since suspension forks are a wear/maintenance item that all eventually need replacing - even suspension forks that are used properly as the actual shock designer intended) it ended up being a no brainer to eliminate the front suspension on all the bikes starting with the S30 back in the day...

V2 guy

After 30+K miles, my Silvio 2.0 Kind shock is also kaput. Unfortunately, it is not frozen so has a disturbing amount of travel when encountering bumps and divots at high speed. I cannot find a serial number to verify which version it is. Since shock replacement does not seem feasible, is there any replacement forks left that are not suspended in the warehouse? If so, what cost?
I plan to look for an elastomer collar to fit around the fork if not available.

GrannyGear53

Glad I found this post. I found a listing for a used vintage Silvio near my daughter in the San Francisco Bay Area and was planning to check it out when I visit her in early December. I had my heart set on adding an S40 to my stable so I can do some faster road rides in my hilly hometown. (I have a Q45, which I use for gravel and rail trails but it’s too heavy and slow for road rides, especially with a group.) But I’m afraid that the Silvio front suspension would be a maintenance nightmare. The owner is asking $1,450 for the bike built with ok specs. Comes with a rear rack, trunk bag, work stand, and the pump for the front suspension. Does this sound like a good deal or should I forget about it? I’m not mechanically adept and have to take my bike to a bike mechanic for all modifications and maintenance. I don’t need headaches, just a decent recumbent road bike.

V2 guy

GG53: The price given accessories seems OK if frame in good shape and rims are true. The front suspension is not a big deal if Kind shock stills holds a pressure level. If not, unsuspended fork will have about an inch of travel over bumps and potholes. Doesn't really affect steering and reduces front end bounce. Don't replace front fork or shock--too tricky. Simply remove rubber diaphragm and add a thick 1" rubber collar around fork tube (cut to fit) and secure with a hose clamp; recover with rubber diaphragm to prevent grime/dirt. The suspension is now converted to a standard fork with virtually no travel. I cut my rubber collar from 3/8" plumbing supply at local hardware store. The rest of bike is very low maintenance that any LBS can work on. IMO, it is the best road recumbent that is not a racer.