Has anyone ever tried this?

kz22

A thought that's been kicking around in my head. Wondering if anyone has tried it or at least done a thought experiment about it. Replacing the rear 700c wheel on an S40 with a 650--or even a 24"--with the goal of getting a bit more recline on the seat.

Would that change the steering undesirably? Cause more front wheel slippage?

Gary123

Zen MBB Master
A thought that's been kicking around in my head. Wondering if anyone has tried it or at least done a thought experiment about it. Replacing the rear 700c wheel on an S40 with a 650--or even a 24"--with the goal of getting a bit more recline on the seat.

Would that change the steering undesirably? Cause more front wheel slippage?
I tried a 20 on the rear of a vendetta. Handling was fine but it looked weird. Shouldn't cause any problem.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
It might cause a bit more wheel slippage, but probably not enough to be unmanageable. Tinkering with the wheel size either for better aerodynamics or for weight distribution seems fun. Not so easy with rim brakes but IIRC a pair of 20" wheels was done on a V20. I have seen rim brake calipers that are long enough to compensate for the slightly smaller diameter though.

I’m reminded of an attempt to improve with rear wheel adapters. I wonder what became of that. @Jim Parker ?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I experimented with running a 650 on the rear of a V2 Vendetta. It will reduce you seat angle and possibly your aero. However you will also have to adjust your headrest or else any aero advantage will be cancelled by your helmet catchng more air. My goal for any bike was to make my face piont straight ahead. That way no air catchng under visor or helmet making aero worse. Super low rolling resistant tires are also harder to find so you will most likey loose something there too. 700 tires get all the exposure and R&D these days.
I don't remember the 650 being any better for me, or I would have started racing with it like that.
But each of us are differnt and it may work better for you