Has anyone upgraded from a Freestyle to an S40 or V20?

The Brook

I'll be getting an S40 next spring, and was wondering how easy was the transition from the slower bike with a heavy front end to a lighter bike that most likely has different handling.

Was the transition seamless?

I've been averaging about 20 miles a day, at about 15 mph, and it has been quite a lot of fun, but it's getting old, and I'll be upgrading soon, and am Just curious, I got used to the Freerider after a few weeks, hoping the change to the S40 will be be mostly seamless (maybe minor things to get used to)

Looking forward to your comments.

Denis

5duece

went from a Volea to V20. Volae is very similar to the Bacchetta Giro so took me a little while (a month) to get used to pedal steer. I did get right on the V20 and take off but was in a big parking lot. Now that I have been on the V20 for over a year I am much happier with it over the Volea. I also have a S30 and prefer the V20. Took a while to accept the full 20º angle and get rid of the wedge but once I did the comfort and handling of the bike improve so much. The speed went up as well so if you are at 15mph for 20 that will increase. Not sure to what but a gain will be seen for sure. You will notice it the most when a vehicle is passing the other direction because the gust will not impact you as much. This all assumes you go with the V20. Someone else will have to chime in on S40. I wanted the S40 before the I got the V20 or S30 but they were sold out. I am so glad they were.

The Brook

I need the versatility of the S40, as I commute with a big laptop, a change of clothes, and my lunch!
I can only afford one (Sad, I know)

5duece

oh gotcha. Yes I know the routine, I would ride to the office with lunch but laptop stayed there. I don't know for sure, but would think a freerider to S40 would be a small change. Best part I see about the S40 is how big a tire you can fit on it making it a comfy ride. Plus you are correct that it is suited better for "work gear". Again, I don't know for sure but you have come to the right place to ask.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The S40 will reward you A LOT more for your effort and input over your old bike - for sure. More efficient in every way. You will love it!

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
Over the last seven years I have owned everything from the V20 to the older Quest (now the Q45). I found it easy to go from one to another, which is to say that once you get used to the mbb design, moving from one variation of it to another should be pretty straightforward. Enjoy!

The Brook

oh gotcha. Yes I know the routine, I would ride to the office with lunch but laptop stayed there. I don't know for sure, but would think a freerider to S40 would be a small change. Best part I see about the S40 is how big a tire you can fit on it making it a comfy ride. Plus you are correct that it is suited better for "work gear". Again, I don't know for sure but you have come to the right place to ask.
The Freerider is close to 40 lbs, haven't weighed it but it's HEAVY

The Brook

Over the last seven years I have owned everything from the V20 to the older Quest (now the Q45). I found it easy to go from one to another, which is to say that once you get used to the mbb design, moving from one variation of it to another should be pretty straightforward. Enjoy!
So it would seem to be a pretty easy transition, I would think that once you're adapted to the FWD, MBB you're good to use any of the others that have it?

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
So it would seem to be a pretty easy transition, I would think that once you're adapted to the FWD, MBB you're good to use any of the others that have it?
Correct. Not that aren't differences from bike to bike, but the mechanics are enough the same that moving from a Freerider to a S40 should be pretty easy. You certainly won't be starting over. And I will echo others in that you will definitely notice the performance upgrade with the S40.

Tuloose

Guru
I started out with a Silvio 2.0, sold it a few years later and got a Vendetta and also purchased from a local man a Freerider and a Silvio 1.0.
You will really enjoy the performance of the S40 over the heavy Freerider with the clunky suspension.
I gave mine away and got a T50 which is great bike in it's own right.
It's my everyday go to shopping and local commuter ride with flat pedals so I can just hop on and go whenever I want.
Sounds like you've been doing enough riding on the Freerider so that switching to the S40 shouldn't be a problem at all.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
Echo. You will have no problems whatsoever if my experience is to be believed. You may notice very minor handling changes but you will see them as all positive during your first ride or shortly thereafter. The only one that could possibly be a negative is the longer wheelbase of the s40 if you fit your bike inside a restrictive car or do LOTS of VERY tight maneuvers such as those zig-zags they sometimes have where bike trails cross car roads.

Is T50 shorter?

s40 is a premium machine where the Freerider is good but the s40 and v20 have been brought to a whole new level.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I am in the pedestrian places all the time on my S40, doing the very tight zigzags. My favourite dance. I used to do it on the Silvio. I thought the Silvio was good at this, but the S40 is even better. I cannot remember which of these is longer. Maybe it is due to having 650b.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
I am in the pedestrian places all the time on my S40, doing the very tight zigzags. My favourite dance. I used to do it on the Silvio. I thought the Silvio was good at this, but the S40 is even better. I cannot remember which of these is longer. Maybe it is due to having 650b.
Agreed, marginal difference in overall turning radius which is minor compared to every one of the significant to subtle improvements. Enjoy!

McWheels

Off the long run
I've done almost this exactly a couple of years ago. Went from a Sofrider (V2k) to a S40. Over time I had progressively lowered the seat angle on the V2k so the transition was much more about lower and better drop bars from flats, and moving from an IGH to a 1x10. It was around the time the second virtual time trial was happening, so I did my original course on something like the 2nd week I had the S40, noting the wind wasn't great and I wasn't in great condition. I smashed the 12 mile best by over 2 mins and still had gas in the tank, not really knowing my limits on the new machine. The whole thing is a complete joy. It's also 15 mins faster over 25 miles on the long commute I sometimes did - where one has to arrive not totalled and ready for a day's work.