Headache from riding V

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
The wings are also not designed to hold weight in and by themselves, so hopefully anyone doing this has the majority part of the seat still resting along the frame - as that is part of the design purpose of the rigid seat.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The wings are also not designed to hold weight in and by themselves, so hopefully anyone doing this has the majority part of the seat still resting along the frame - as that is part of the design purpose of the rigid seat.
I should have been more clear. I used a rubber block between the butt of the seat and the frame. There are more rubber blocks further back. The bolts just keep everything in place. As you can see, the bolts have much less leverage on the wings than there would be by using the standard holes, which are farther from the frame. The stiff rubber block conforms slightly to distribute seat forces between the frame and inner wing areas. It is necessary to have a wide and stiff seat platform (rubber block) to prevent rocking left and right. After a lot of experimenting by trial and error, I settled on this design as by far the most stable configuration.
image.jpeg

jond

Zen MBB Master
without drilling to frame how to mount it. Thor seats made by our Polish neighbors are not expensive.

matej keep working to find the solution for yourself.

what rick and joseph and so many others have done is proven that adapting the vendetta to your own body needs is eminently possible and can be done right.

these trailblazing kind sharing guys have shown that it is possible to achieve a functional alternative should you not be able to customise the stock set-up to your stature.

how tall are you matej. i hear some of our riders are only 4ft 9 inches. :)

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I think that very close to solution of my problem. I have 5 cm shortened headrest with air suspension made of old tube. I moved my headrest few cm to back. Now I can ride my Elefant for few hours without significant headache. I will be testing it this weekend for whole day.
I will be also switching from standard to comfort version Ventisit and hope that it will be even better.
2016-03-27 15.20.04.jpg2016-03-27 15.21.37.jpg2016-03-28 19.16.27.jpg2016-03-27 15.20.39.jpg

jond

Zen MBB Master
I will be also switching from standard to comfort version Ventisit and hope that it will be even better.

well done matej hope the solution is nearly complete. soon you will be so comfy on V you will need an alarm clock not to miss uni. nice door by the way no one will be pinching your vendetta any time soon.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
After some time with shortened headrest and air cussion I can say that It is good but not perfect. I still has some headache from riding V.
Next week I will be riding 400 km in two days on German roads and week later 200 km on Czech roads. After trip to Germany I will decide to use Thor seat or to stick with stock seat. I am planning to buy comfort Ventisit but I don't believe that I can make such a big change to eliminate my headache. I think that part of my headache is from neck muscles that I have to use when lifting head on potholes. Big part of my headache is from my bad pedaling. I am peddaling unevenly so my body and head moves a little with each pedal stroke. So I am shaking my head on headrest when I pedal.

Rick, Joseph and others, when you are riding with your alternative seat, do you use headrest majority of time or just for resting?
On my other recumbents I don't use headrest so my head is not shaking with each pedal stroke and I haven't got any headache there.

More Vendetta riders are using alternative seats so I am more and more willing to drill holes to my frame and use alternative seat too.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
After some time with shortened headrest and air cussion I can say that It is good but not perfect. I still has some headache from riding V.
Next week I will be riding 400 km in two days on German roads and week later 200 km on Czech roads. After trip to Germany I will decide to use Thor seat or to stick with stock seat. I am planning to buy comfort Ventisit but I don't believe that I can make such a big change to eliminate my headache. I think that part of my headache is from neck muscles that I have to use when lifting head on potholes. Big part of my headache is from my bad pedaling. I am peddaling unevenly so my body and head moves a little with each pedal stroke. So I am shaking my head on headrest when I pedal.

Rick, Joseph and others, when you are riding with your alternative seat, do you use headrest majority of time or just for resting?
On my other recumbents I don't use headrest so my head is not shaking with each pedal stroke and I haven't got any headache there.

More Vendetta riders are using alternative seats so I am more and more willing to drill holes to my frame and use alternative seat too.
Snilard, I use my headrest the majority of the time.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I can't ride with my head lifted from my headrest, it starts knotting up my neck muscles within mins from the extra stress. Even with a good headrest I found myself unable to relax my neck because I was so used to a crappy headrest and not being able to relax. It's taken me 4-5 rides to become much more relaxed on my current setup in order to reap the benefits.

I really feel the perfect fit is a 5% window and you just have to keep making small changes every ride until you land in the sweet spot. My current setup is the best I've had so far but still contains so many compromises I feel I've got a good way to go before finding that perfect setup.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Same here as Joe, my neck/head is rested most of the time.
I can't ride with my head lifted from my headrest, it starts knotting up my neck muscles within mins from the extra stress.
Same for me as Jason.

The extra support in the upper swoop of the seat also helps.

PeteClark

When I started learning to ride the V, I didn't use the headrest at all. I folded a bath towel to make a wedge between the standard seat and Ventisit pad, raising my shoulders about 5 cm, and making it more comfortable to hold my head vertical while riding. Later, I changed out the bath towel for a hand towel, so my shoulders were only raised about 2.5 cm. This made it noticeably less comfortable to hold my head vertically. I wanted to keep my head nearly vertical, where I would hold it without the headrest, so I slid the standard headrest in so that it was just 1 cm from where I would hold my head anyway. This arrangement put most of the weight of my head on my neck and little on the headrest, but I was annoyed by the road vibrations transmitted through the headrest. I bought a 3.00-4 inner tube, folded it in half, positioned it between the upper and lower pads in the standard headrest, stuffed this sandwich into the sock with the valve stem at the sock opening, slid the sock over the headrest tubing, and pumped the inner tube to the desired firmness. This added about 2 cm to the thickness of the headrest padding, so I moved the headrest 2 cm out of the frame. Works like a charm. My head is nearly vertical, but there's no strain to hold it there, and the road vibration is significantly damped by the cushion of air.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I wanted to keep my head nearly vertical, where I would hold it without the headrest, so I slid the standard headrest in so that it was just 1 cm from where I would hold my head anyway.

That is the best description of where it is suppose to be. Never thought of comparing it to the position you hold your head without the head rest.
That's the position that allow you to look through sunglass at the handlebar clamp and not look under the glasses.

well done. and that sounds comfortable with the tube sandwich. Pictures?

PeteClark

With pics...
IMG_1470.JPG
3.00-4 inner tube, when you fold it in half will form an arc, use that to your advantage
IMG_1471.JPG
Place the tube on the denser foam from the standard headrest. Alternately deflate, tuck, and fold, trying to make a neat package so the tube will expand evenly when inflated inside the headrest
IMG_1472.JPG IMG_1473.JPG
Place the other foam pad on top of the deflated tube
IMG_1474.JPG
Stuff this "sandwich" into the standard headrest sock.
IMG_1475.JPG
Install the sock over the headrest tubing
IMG_1476.JPG
Inflate the tube to the desired firmness
IMG_1481.JPG
Adjust the headrest so that it is about 1cm from the back / base of your head when holding your head upIMG_1483.JPG
Lean back just a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 26