Headrest on S40 … yes or no?

For so e reason, I feel like I need it when riding indoors on the trainer. Outside, it drives me nuts with the helmet on (I have to remove the pad). It’s too much of a hassle to go back and forth. show of hands … do you use the headrest on your S40 or did you remove it?

For so e reason, I feel like I need it when riding indoors on the trainer. Outside, it drives me nuts with the helmet on (I have to remove the pad). It’s too much of a hassle to go back and forth. show of hands … do you use the headrest on your S40 or did you remove it?
I left mine in situ but don't recall using it at all. My rides were only around two hours though so maybe if i'd been in the saddle longer I might have needed to rest my head

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
When I had a S40, I did use the headrest for longer rides, and didn't mind it for shorter commutes.

I don't know what brand of helmet you are using, but I solved my dang-this-helmet! issue by switching to the Lazer brand, which places the retention knob at the top of the helmet rather than in the back, right where the headrest pad is. I am currently using the G1 Mips. The back of the retention band slides up and down for adjustment, and I have it adjusted flush with the lower edge of the helmet so that the back of my skull is completely unobstructed, and the slightly curved edge nestles just right with the shape of the headrest pad on my V20c--a bike for which the headrest is not optional. I had the same helmet clearance (maybe even a little bit more) on the S40 headrest.

McWheels

Off the long run
I manage without. The angle seems just enough not to feel like I need or want to either rest my head or have it pushed further forward.

I have the suspension headrest with my Thor seat. I like the combo.
Ditto

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
When I bought the S40 I forgot the optional headrest, but then found that it was not necessary. It would have been a waste of money. I needed the headrest on the Silvio. Does the S40 have a steeper seat than the Silvio?

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
When I bought the S40 I forgot the optional headrest, but then found that it was not necessary. It would have been a waste of money. I needed the headrest on the Silvio. Does the S40 have a steeper seat than the Silvio?
The hydroform-framed, full suspension Silvios, like the 2.0, have a 27-degree seat angle. The last in that line, the S30, has a seat angle right around 33 degrees (which is probably the difference between the 2.0 having the added stack height of the front suspension, and the S30 having no front suspension, so a lower stack height).

Anyway, I could get by without the headrest on the S40, while on the S30 I need it. For me, that 40-degree seat angle seems to be right about where the headrest becomes optional; just seven degrees less than that...different story.