Headrest rails for v20s the same?

Randyc3

Hi,
Anyone know if the headrest rails are the same dimensions and tube diameter for the V20 and v20c? Thanks in advance.

Henri

scatter brain
In the shop there are not different models of headrest available for different generations, are there? I have used some second hand "performance adjustable headrest" on my V20c.

Randyc3

Thanks. Yeah need to know if these headrest rails are dimensional exact. Probably a good question for Robert. Cheers.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
We have found however that different "runs" have slighlly differnt angles. Perhaps they made some for the S40 with more of an acute angle. However they are not labeled and the only way you would know would be to look through a huge bin of them. :(

Randyc3

Hey Larry,
Thanks again for the response. Yes…guessed there would be some variation with the parts which is completely understandable. BTW cool Utube video. Thanks again.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hey Larry,
Thanks again for the response. Yes…guessed there would be some variation with the parts which is completely understandable. BTW cool Utube video. Thanks again.
They have changed a lot over the last 7+ years. The older ones are taller; the tubing wall thickness is a lot less these days and they are now anodized versus painted with an enamel-like finish.

The key item is the outside diameter of the tubes has stayed relatively consistent.

I did a lot of hack sawing and painting on various generations for the diary, so there will be some cool things coming. I hope to complete the series before thanksgiving now that I'm not traveling every 3 weeks. The fall was a lot busier than expected.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all. I’m late to this party clearly but yes there are variations. The tubing diameter is consistent though.

V20 and V20c have the same tubes.

In the past the S40 and V20 had different headrest tubes - set so that the upright section was vertical with the bike on a level surface so different bends where they entered the frames…

However -

I found that the V20 tubes worked better on the S40 - when the V20 tubes are used on the S40 it caused the headrest to be tilted forward a bit and was more comfortable at the more upright seat angle.

So the last few batches of S40’s share the same headrest tubes as the V20.

Randyc3

Hey all. I’m late to this party clearly but yes there are variations. The tubing diameter is consistent though.

V20 and V20c have the same tubes.

In the past the S40 and V20 had different headrest tubes - set so that the upright section was vertical with the bike on a level surface so different bends where they entered the frames…

However -

I found that the V20 tubes worked better on the S40 - when the V20 tubes are used on the S40 it caused the headrest to be tilted forward a bit and was more comfortable at the more upright seat angle.

So the last few batches of S40’s share the same headrest tubes as the V20.
Hey Robert,
Hope all is well. Thanks. Just working on a 3d printed bracket for a tailbox and wanted to understand the rail dimension variations. One more, can you share the material specification for the rail(6061)? Wondering if it is weldable. Off season now….have to stay busy :). Thanks in advance.

Randyc3

They have changed a lot over the last 7+ years. The older ones are taller; the tubing wall thickness is a lot less these days and they are now anodized versus painted with an enamel-like finish.

The key item is the outside diameter of the tubes has stayed relatively consistent.

I did a lot of hack sawing and painting on various generations for the diary, so there will be some cool things coming. I hope to complete the series before thanksgiving now that I'm not traveling every 3 weeks. The fall was a lot busier than expected.
Hey Ratz, thanks again hope all is well. Awesome work with the diary! Wondering if you have a picture(s) of the V20c frame alone on its side with the the camera centered directly overhead? —-offseason now so considering making “aero skirts/fairings” and will start by putting the frame in CAD. Cheers