Headtube on donor bike measures 1" or 1-1/8th"

buyagain

I was wondering how many of these donor bikes have the 1" or the 1-1/8th" head tube. The Conversion Kit does not explain this very well, especially for the relatively inexperienced. My Avalon has the 1" head tube. This must be the outside diameter (which is a useless measurement) of the head tube because the inside diameter is actually 7/8th". This requires us to go right out and buy a 1 to 1-1/8" adapter from the LBS to get started. So I'm just wondering how many are considering this on the donor bike. It's not really a big deal but it would be nice to have it addressed in the kit instructions. One last consideration is that if you choose a 1" head tube (like me) then you're not going to have the chance to upgrade (pretty much) to an after market set of pneumatic forks. Hey, so I'm pretty much stuck with the original stock suspensions where as the 1-1/8th" headtube has future upgrade possibilities.
Here I am discussing suspension when some of the latest posted conversion examples have no suspension at all. Wasupwidat? LOL So don't forget to include the head tube consideration when scrounging about. Yet alone front and rear suspension.

PS Are there any other head tube dimensions that I don't know about?

Regards

Bob

enjoybiking

buyagain wrote:
PS Are there any other head tube dimensions that I don't know about?

Regards

Bob

bigger ones YET on some tandems I own, 1 1/4. And the head-tubes meant for "ZeroStack" headsets measure even bigger, well, at the tube-ends not inner part. I DO get 1" fork hits on Amazon and via eBay, often by RST, often 26" or worse: the don't always SAY.

Look up HEADSET section http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ha-i.html