heat

I find I am normally going fast on the V20, and plenty of air flow so heat is not an issue... but I live in a fairly hot area and regularly ride both my DF and V20 in >30C, so perhaps I am just adapted to hot riding!! :)

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
It seems Tokyo's average temps are dropping a bit to around 30C, and it doesn't feel as humid so I am relieved.

I haven't ridden my roadbike for a proper ride in ages. Dousing in water beforehand letting wind do its thing is usually enough for short rides on the V20, but for +4 hour rides I absolutely love my system.

The material on my new 6L backpack I got is much thinner and lighter than the Deuter Road 1 backpack I was putting my ice/hydration in and wearing on my chest. This means that there is a much better cooling effect. When I was adding 1kg of ice to my 2.5L Deuter bag it was cooling me a bit, but changing to my new thinner one it was significantly cooler because the material is thinner, and there is also no thin padding. Almost uncomfortably cold, like putting an ice bag on your chest kinda cold. I rode with it twice already, and even with only 400g of ice and 2.1L of refrigerated hydration it worked very well. Next up is the 3L hydration bag which will have 1kg of ice and 2L of refrigerated hydration. I have a feeling that I might need to put a thin liner in the bag because it might cool too well. I hate to come off like that Noob "Camelback in a backpack" guy but it is so simple and dumb that it works, especially on a bent. For short rides of up to 2 hours or so it probably isnt needed.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I too am cooler on the V, because of the air flow, probably. But laid out as we are, we do certainly get a lot of sun exposure. I notice this right away on hot rides when I have to from full air flow to full stop at a red light. The sun catches up in a hurry.

chicorider

Zen MBB Master
I'm much cooler on my V20 than My DF... However I did notice I bathe the rear wheel in sweat....I hope I dont start busting spokes from corrosion ;)
I notice the sweat too. One of the first things I do when I get home from a ride is slip off the foam headrest cover, fling out as much sweat as I can, and let it dry off the bike, rather than drip all over the back end.

I notice the sweat too. One of the first things I do when I get home from a ride is slip off the foam headrest cover, fling out as much sweat as I can, and let it dry off the bike, rather than drip all over the back end.
I'm thinking I should to the same thing. ;)

Don1

Guru
I've ridden in 40+ degrees C here in the Aussie summers.... Use high wicking uv Lycra pretty much head to toe, much better than sun lotion as sweat washes this off plus keeps you cooler. Drop below 30kmh and I feel the heat from the road. Drink lots of fluids... Use a bottle to splash water on legs etc. If near a creak I'll be chest deep to lower core temp. A core temp sensor is $300, something to save for.

Don1

Guru
Nearly tempted to try Fritos front pack but I dislike stuff hanging off and around me... For stabilising core temp should be awesome

I’m reminded of the 2017 RAAM. Super hot on the western part. I think they used neck/chest wraps with ice to stay cool. Anyway, it’s a great story.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Nearly tempted to try Fritos front pack but I dislike stuff hanging off and around me... For stabilising core temp should be awesome
I gotta say, once you are moving on the bike the front pack weight isn't that noticeable. Maybe that is because I often wore it during Summer and am now used to it. But sitting up it does contact the bars. With it and that funky tailbox I had (as well as the Rixen Kaul bag) my CdA was hovering around 0.195 and 0.205. After I installed a small Deuter seatbag behind my head and rode without the front pack yesterday my CdA shot up to 0.216. I'd bet most of that was the tailbag but next ride I will wear the front pack again to see what it does to the CdA. I speculate that the front pack separates the air a bit before it bends around my thighs and then hits me in the chin and neck. Who knows? Maybe I am just trying to convince myself lol.