Helmets

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Currently I am using a Limar 007 with several different DIY lenses that connect by magnets. With the 20 degree seat angle I believe I am wasting some watts. I have a Limar Speed King photo-82431.jpg.pngthat might save a few of those watts, but I started thinking that there must be something even better.

Since I am interested in hang gliding, paramotor and sail planes, I came across several helmets that I thought could work on recumbents. 1 of those helmets is the Icaro Nero Hero.
images.jpegScreen Shot 2023-01-05 at 10.46.01.png

Don't write me off just yet. Hear me out haha.

It just so happened that I found one here in Tokyo, and I went to test it out. Unfortunately, despite the helmet coming with 3 sets of sizing pads, it did not fit my size 57cm oblong head even with the thinnest pads installed. I am not sure if the helmet sent to Tokyo was sort of custom made to fit Japanese shaped heads which are usually more round. In essence, the top of my forehead was pressing into the foam. I could grind out a bit of foam in a pinch, but that would have meant removing the cloth material.
IMG_5636.JPGIMG_5642.JPGIMG_5643.JPG
You can see in the middle pic that it sat too high compared with how the black one sat on the guys face above. However, it provided full face protection without restricting my view at all. As it was, I didn't need to adjust my headrest at all. However, I could probably let the headrest bars out and fiddle with the adjustable bars vertically so that the helmet itself sat on the head rest pad as opposed to my neck resting on it.

It has small vents, and the UVA/UVB shield can be lifted for more air flow if needed, it has much better impact protection as required for paramotors over typical cycling helmets, you can wear practically any glasses you want and it certainly seems very aero. It is heavier than a cycling helmet but with my head on the pad I didn't notice the weight.

I'm trying to convince myself I should get it for the pros listed above if I can get one that fits, but what am I missing?

Don1

Guru
You're my hero. Once the new year settled down I'd like to add a mtb style chin thing that a motorcycle visor clips into with the 3d printer. Selecting the base helmet is step one. With Aussie helmet laws I need a proper certified one to start, unlike other parts of the world. So.... Will you hurry up and buy it already

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Arf Arf Arf.... goes with Gath. I used a Gath windsurfing helmet with flip down visor back in the days when I did 50 knots. They are a hoot. Try one of those before you end up buying the wrong thing.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Arf Arf Arf.... goes with Gath. I used a Gath windsurfing helmet with flip down visor back in the days when I did 50 knots. They are a hoot. Try one of those before you end up buying the wrong thing.
That looks alright David. I am sure it is safer than a cycling helmet, I am just not sure how to rig up a visor for it. Holes and magnets like on my Limar? Haha

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
You're my hero. Once the new year settled down I'd like to add a mtb style chin thing that a motorcycle visor clips into with the 3d printer. Selecting the base helmet is step one. With Aussie helmet laws I need a proper certified one to start, unlike other parts of the world. So.... Will you hurry up and buy it already
With the yen rate now it is even more expensive than a few months ago. If it fit during the test fit I would have even at the current yen rate because I know I'll get plenty of years of use out of it provided that I don't test its impact durability in a real world test. That shop used to have a wall full of other paramotor helmets such as the Icaro Skyrunner but the owner told me he sent them back to the manufacturers because that market here is just too small. The Charly No Limit looks to be about half the price and very aero. Buying online is sometimes great, but having my cranium squeezed at the shop makes me a bit anxious. I really want to try it on before buying. I am going to search for more paramotor shops to see if I can find one close enough to get to.

Speaking of clipping in your visor, the heavy duty magnets I use work incredibly well. You just gotta use a good glue and don't buy one that is so strong that it pulls the glue off.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
What about a snowboarding helmet from aliexpress... it's a 1/3 cheaper...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230106_110401_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20230106_110401_AliExpress.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 6

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I did look at luge helmets and while having a full face shield looked nice, those looked too much like huge gum drops.
Unknown.jpeg

ccf

Guru
Currently I am using a Limar 007 with several different DIY lenses that connect by magnets. With the 20 degree seat angle I believe I am wasting some watts. I have a Limar Speed King View attachment 14325that might save a few of those watts, but I started thinking that there must be something even better.

Since I am interested in hang gliding, paramotor and sail planes, I came across several helmets that I thought could work on recumbents. 1 of those helmets is the Icaro Nero Hero.
View attachment 14326View attachment 14327

Don't write me off just yet. Hear me out haha.

It just so happened that I found one here in Tokyo, and I went to test it out. Unfortunately, despite the helmet coming with 3 sets of sizing pads, it did not fit my size 57cm oblong head even with the thinnest pads installed. I am not sure if the helmet sent to Tokyo was sort of custom made to fit Japanese shaped heads which are usually more round. In essence, the top of my forehead was pressing into the foam. I could grind out a bit of foam in a pinch, but that would have meant removing the cloth material.
View attachment 14328View attachment 14329View attachment 14330
You can see in the middle pic that it sat too high compared with how the black one sat on the guys face above. However, it provided full face protection without restricting my view at all. As it was, I didn't need to adjust my headrest at all. However, I could probably let the headrest bars out and fiddle with the adjustable bars vertically so that the helmet itself sat on the head rest pad as opposed to my neck resting on it.

It has small vents, and the UVA/UVB shield can be lifted for more air flow if needed, it has much better impact protection as required for paramotors over typical cycling helmets, you can wear practically any glasses you want and it certainly seems very aero. It is heavier than a cycling helmet but with my head on the pad I didn't notice the weight.

I'm trying to convince myself I should get it for the pros listed above if I can get one that fits, but what am I missing?
How would you drink while pedaling?

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
How would you drink while pedaling?
That is a good question CCF. The visor can be flipped up, and just guessing from the pic above, it seems that it would be possible to drink from a standard water bottle since his mouth is visible. As for the drink tube, I don't know if 1 could be threaded through the bottom of the helmet to be handsfree accessible or if you would have to flip up the visor, stick the tube in your mouth, and then flip the visor back down afterwards while riding. If I do go with this helmet or 1 of the other similar models I wouldn't mind removing some material in the chin guard to install the bitedown tube with a magnet to prevent all that fussing about. The Osprey hydration system already comes with magnets for the bag and tube, so it could as simple as gluing the bag magnet to the inside of the chin guard.
Edit: Here is a larger picture of it being worn that shows quite a bit of clearance.
Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 12.09.25.png

Last edited:

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
I checked Icaro's webpage and it looks like there are 2 sizes. One is from 53-59cm, and the other is 60-61cm. I am fairly certain that the one I tried was the smaller size. I sent an email to Icaro to see about test fitting the larger size, and asked for confirmation that the one they sent to the shop in Japan was the smaller size since that shop is only open on Saturdays now due to covid

Last edited:

CuHead

Head probably won't hit ground in a CruzBike crash. Especially if clipped in. Probably forearm and side of leg. Not proud of it, but I fell twice this year. Once crossing wet angled railroad ties where a rail line once was, and another time hit the rear brake too hard while trying to turn fast. Head never in danger, would have to tumble head over heels or sideways to hit head on ground. Some 'Lite Protector Pads' for forearms and lower legs may be more useful. Got to admit the head is the most critical element, followed maybe by the heart or spine, but the CruzBike riding position is pretty safe wrt injury. Riding solo is usually more safe than in groups or pelotons. Some crashes in Tour de France this year, going on now; on those bikes your head is the nosecone, if you fall then you're going shoulder or head to ground and brain is in more danger.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Good points CuHead. A motorcycle shop that I got my tailbag from had some dirt bike protective gear on the 2nd floor, but it was thicker, and seemed to be designed more for impacts as opposed to the sliding we would likely do on a recumbent. So it got me thinking about what we could adopt for our purposes, and 1 idea that came to mind was the protective gear skiers and snowboarders use. Those might still be a bit thicker than what I had in mind, but I haven't really checked what is available.

Flying Dutchman

Being new to recumbent riding I've found that due to the position I catch more insects with my mouth so this full-face helmet certainly looks an advantage. However cycling being a cardio sport we do need to be able to breath more heavily than other sports so we do need a good amount of open area around the mouth and nose for the air to clear. You don't want to keep breathing in your own stale air.

Frito Bandito

Zen MBB Master
Being new to recumbent riding I've found that due to the position I catch more insects with my mouth so this full-face helmet certainly looks an advantage. However cycling being a cardio sport we do need to be able to breath more heavily than other sports so we do need a good amount of open area around the mouth and nose for the air to clear. You don't want to keep breathing in your own stale air.
That is 1 thing I am worried about. Reducing the air flow under the helmet to prevent a parachute effect is nice, but not at the expense of oxygen. The lense can be flipped up a tad but until I try it out it is only speculation on whether or not there is enough air flow with it closed so I don't pass out. Judging by the fit near the chin I figure it'll be ok as long as I keep it at 150w or less. That is 1 nice looking helmet though.

Last edited: