Help evaluating "cheaper" donor ideas

bermuda

First of all - please refrain from pointing out the obvious about low-end components and shoddy construction - I get it.

What I am asking is has anyone found any "new" (not used on eBay or craigslist items) and cheap donor bikes (below $200) that work well with the conversion kit?

A couple possibilities that I am hoping to get some feedback on are below. When I did my initial research I was looking specifically for the lowest crossbar on a dual suspension. Then I tried to fit it to the rest of the suggestions on the "choosing a donor" page (linear brakes, standard & straight fork, standard seat clamp, stem size, etc.).

Please list any major concerns that would be deal-breakers or other minor concerns about the two bikes below. And if you have any other suggestions or ideas for new and inexpensive donors, please share! I continue to watch my local craigslist, classifieds, and ebay for a trek y26 - but then who isn't ;)

1) Kawasaki KDX1
You can see the specs & images here: abikestore.com, amazon.com, walmart.com

mtb_kdx126fs.jpg

2) 24" Women's Tiara
You can see the specs here: walmart.com

??? Will the conversion work on a bike with 24" wheels?

0083646700027_500X500.jpg

Gromit

Guru
Welcome to the forum. :)

We were all newbies once. ;)
Please don't take this the wrong way. I'm only trying to be helpful. :)
You'll find the Search box at the top right of each page. Give it a try. Search for a keyword such as "Tiara". You'll get lots of hits, showing threads about using the bike as a donor.

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Hi,

Both of these will work fine.

The Kawasaki is the same frame as the Honda that some folks have converted. Because it's steel, it'll be heavy.

The Tiara works great, whether you leave it as a 24" bike or convert it to 26".

This is a Tiara I converted for my son, using a 650c front fork and converting the bike to road caliper brakes. My Dad picked up two bare frames from the flea market for $5.

New-1.jpg

Toms-Bike1.jpg

Several folks around here have converted Tiara's successfully.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Best,

Doug

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Not a Tiara, but I converted a Trek 24" wheel bike to 650c without changing out the fork.

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Mark B wrote: Not a Tiara, but I converted a Trek 24" wheel bike to 650c without changing out the fork.

Mark

Mark's conversion is a beauty, too. (to quote Mark, "pictures?") :D

Lots of Trek 220's showing up on Craigslist and the like...

longbikez

Hi Everyone,
I found this bike yesterday and I think it may be a good donor
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00623006000P?vName=Fitness%20&%
If the url for some reason does not work just google
Mongoose womens tactic
look to me to be sweet and right on the money.

Mongoose 26 in. Womens Tactic Item# 00623006000 Model# R4733KM
(Be the first to rate and review this item)
This Mongoose® bike features a SRAM/Shimano shift system, alloy women's dual suspension Frame and element fork with an alloy forged 3 piece cran ... Read Full Item Description
In Stock and Available for Ground Shipping
When will it arrive? For this item, please allow 3-4 business days plus shipping time. Shipping varies by location

Price Match Policy
Reg Price:
$199.99
Savings: $20.00
$179.99
Ship
Ship
Regards,
Longbikez

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
That's about as good as the Wally bikes get these days.

The top tube comes in below the bottom of the head tube, which is something that's gotten difficult to find.

You can relax that rear suspension a little and the seat height might come in pretty good.

Good find.

Best,

Doug

buyagain

OK so I'm sold on Tiara bike as a donar but I've been checking profiles of the posters on this site no one is confessing their weight. I'm 6' 1" and 250 lbs. I'm hoping I can ride this cruzbike to lower my weight if-you-know-what-I-mean. Will this configuration hold up to my weight for now?
Cruzbike dreamin.

bob

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
buyagain wrote: OK so I'm sold on Tiara bike as a donar but I've been checking profiles of the posters on this site no one is confessing their weight. I'm 6' 1" and 250 lbs. I'm hoping I can ride this cruzbike to lower my weight if-you-know-what-I-mean. Will this configuration hold up to my weight for now?
Cruzbike dreamin.

bob

6'1" You might be at the high end height wise.

Mark

buyagain

Mark Says
"6'1" You might be at the high end height wise."

Hi Mark;
I tend to be long wasted. My pant length is 29 inches. I don't know what bikers measure for leg length but mine are short for my height. LOL And do you see a weight problem (250 lbs)?

Wally world local Store has a Ladies Avalon 26 inch comfort bike with the proper low center bar location for the Cruzbike seat. I don't see it pictured anywhere on the net so I must take my own picture at the store for proper inspection here.

Regards

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
buyagain wrote: I tend to be long wasted. My pant length is 29 inches. I don't know what bikers measure for leg length but mine are short for my height. LOL And do you see a weight problem (250 lbs)?

Weight is only a problem for your wheels. Inexpensive bikes generally have wheels that are overbuilt for safety. Where you get into trouble is buying high end bikes built for guys that weigh a buck thirty.

I weighed all of that and more when I first got back into riding. Too much good beer. :oops:

Mark

buyagain

Mark says;
"Weight is only a problem for your wheels. Inexpensive bikes generally have wheels that are overbuilt for safety. Where you get into trouble is buying high end bikes built for guys that weigh a buck thirty."

Well then I don't see anything stopping me. I'll post photos of the Avalon 26" just for proofing and comparison before proceeding. Set up correctly I believe even the Tiara 24" would work. for my 29 " inseam.
I think I've even seen some 20"-ers setups that would work. Hey, what do I know?

Part of the fun of biking is tweaking and learning the mods and improvements So I hope this works out.
Solid help from you, Mark, so thanks.

Bob
P.S. I'll try not to be to redundant with the questions that have already been dealt with here.

buyagain

Mark;
OT, I'm new so I might be confusing your listings at the end of all your posts. "Silvio Trek Mountaintrack conversion Infinity LWB"

Does this mean that you own a Silvio, a Trek Mountaintack (crusbike) conversion, and an Infinity Long wheel base?

Just curious

Bob

PS I couldn't wait, I sprung for the Avalon 26 " comfort bike. Turns out that its made by... or shall we say it comes from Kent International. I think it's safe to say it's acually made in China. LOL I Think Kent Int has a pretty good reputation though. The price tag said $112 but it scanned at the register for $99. Sweeeet!!
Photo to follow.

buyagain

The before photos of the Avalon.
I really Like this bike so far. She's got the lines dont you think?
The bright orange yardstick measures the crossbar at 24 inches though it's not clear enough.

All 6061 aluminum frame. Those weld points look like a stack of dimes too. The rear suspension and forks both front and rear are steel. Comes to an all up weight around 41 or 2 lbs. Steel handlebars too. When looking for a cheaper bike it helps to have a magnet with you. LOL There is no turning back now so I'll just order the kit next.
If this turns out to be just big contraption and a head ache I'm going to say that Mark B and Teacherbill got me into this. Also, This Doug character gets some of the blame too. LOL By the way Doug, why do you call yourself Hardtailcruzer. I have never seen an example of one before. Do they convert ok?
Looks like I only get 3 photos per post so I'm going to end it here. Oh and I think I read alloy rims and stainless steel spokes. Magnets don't work on stainless steel, you know. LOL I still can't believe they scanned this bike for $99. Sweeeeeet!!!

Regards

bob

teacherbill

You can be the sacrificial individual for converting the Avalon to a cruzbike. I currently have a very hardtailed mongoose conversion. It gives a over the top hard ride as I feel every bump in the road, but I am also running with tires between 120 and 130 psi. I saw the Avalon while I was looking for a y-frame at wallyworlds and it should work perfectly. I have already started laying the ground work for purchasing the same one for myself and swap all the goodies over because of the suspension that it might offer. Keep us all posted on the conversion experience.

You might throw out a feeler to others who might be wanting to sell their conversion kits and save a dollar or two. One of the guys has had his kit on 5 or 6 different donor bikes.

enjoybiking

Here's another one that might weigh in a tad heavy, but maybe with a regular MTB fork swapped on??

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3333176&siteID=q5QZHUbCIj8-xL6XLi6e5o1aO11HQW.GKQ

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&selectedSKU=0439-02763-1212&start=0&target=products/sports/bikes/womens_bikes

The Pacific Evolution 26" Women's , it LQQks like the seat would be nice and low and handle tall riders. If ya yanked off all the heavy steel crankset, shock-fork, etc...flip to alloy bars...it might be a fast bike!

enjoybiking

johntolhurst wrote: You'd want to keep an eye out for knee-fork crown interference.

Thanks John! I already have a Trek 220 24" to mod, and a Walmart nearby for a Tiara, but find myself looking at bikes with a new light:
"would that be a CruzBike"? And I have never been on a Bent I liked, go figure. I know my diamond frame years will wane. I Do like to innovate and I do like to ride fast and tour.
So far I can captain a upright tandem just fine but lust for a Cruzbike and want to make one before I spring for a Silvio.

The Pacific I posted above? The fork probably weighs 7 tons, I'd change it off in a heartbeat. I dislike that the frame is steel but the shape I find quite promising, seat would be close to the ground more than many donors in 26" world. 26" wheels would just plain go faster that 24" and the variety of cheap rubber is huge. I'd probably use a 170mm Campy triple square taper crank; they are cheap "surplus". 11/34 9spd... barcons... I lusted after the Trek 7100 7200 WSD ALU frames, but they may be don't have the room for seat? I seem them $175-$250 Craig's List... Steel replacement forks for the Pacific above, would not be overly costly. *I* am carrying lots of extra weight, the bike is the least of my worries, but I also lust for top-speed. Enter the Silvio, if...I can work my way up.