Help from Silvio riders.

I was contacted by a man that was thinking about buying a Silvio.
He was looking for reasons to convince himself the need of buying a Silvio.
That's why I need some help I have never rode a Silvio but I have a Sofrider which I have used for several years and can endorse and I have newly got a Vendetta which I also like and I'm getting familiar with.

He asked if he ordered a Silvio will he get the latest version?
How is the extension for those that have used it?
I hope some of you Silvio riders have some good reasons for why you needed to buy a Silvio.
This might help this customer to decide and other potential future Silvio customers.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
a very refined bike

Latest version is now shipping, Peder!!!

The extention works well, havn't had any issues with it at all.

The Silvio is a very refined bike. I simply don't know how to improve how it rides, handles and performs.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
    Once a Silvio is set up

Once a Silvio is set up right its a great bike.Its the kind of bike that likes to be ridden hard and fast and im 73. Did 2 rides yesterday and today on a twisty sandy beach path and pushed the Silvio around corners up to 22 at times. Did the same ride on the Vendetta today and found I was riding the Silvio much harder. Need some more time on the Vendetta. Jack

Rick Newton

defjack - I pass through Santa Monica all the time

We should meet up sometime for a ride. I ride hard & fast too. e-mail at rick.fig.newton@gmail.com if you want to ride together. I'm in Manhattan Beach.

Ted

Hard time getting that "once"

Hi Jack, you've apparently got your Silvio set up perfectly. What deraileurs are you running? I've got the Shimano Ultegra triple on mine and am having a dickens of a time trying to get it to work properly on a consistent basis. Did you set it up yourself or have your LBS do it for you? My LBS installed mine 4 months ago and I'm STILL having problems with the front deraileur/shifter - the latest this past weekend during a 500 mile RAAM qualifer - had to do 280 miles stuck on the middle ring. Any suggestions? Thx. Ted

mickjordan

FD ISSUES

I am suffering similar problems with the Shimano Triple and it's definitely related to the Cruzbike as I have exactly the same setup on two other DF bikes and they are flawless and stay that way. The Silvio seems to go out of adjustment very easily. One issue relates, I believe, to the fact that the cable length can be affected by any movement in the boom/handlebar setup. This shouldn't happen of course in normal use.

Ted

Haven't moved the boom/handlebar setup since the final setup and test ride back in June so don't believe that is the cause of my problems ... but who knows for sure ...

defjack

Zen MBB Master
Heres my Silvio set up.Cranks

Heres my Silvio set up.Cranks Shimano 105 with 53-40-30 Q .rings. deraillers Shimano LX long cage 11-32 and 105 fd 5503.Shifters are Sram rocket grip on Wald 8095 touring bars.I set this bike up myself and havnt had to touch anything for a long time. Jack

Ted

Thanks Jack, I'm envious that you "haven't had to touch anything for a long time". I'll have to check with John and Doug as to how to proceed with mine because I'm at a total loss as to what I should do next. Enjoy your ride :)! Ted

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Ted,
When you have a

Hi Ted,

When you have a failure, can you tell what's going on? Cable gets stuck? cable moves by derailleur doesn't? Can you take a video when it doesn't work? (pictures?) The Silvio shouldn't be that different from road bikes. Is there another LBS near you with a good service reputation?

My guesses:
* bad cable/housing - most likely
* bad derailleur
* bad shifter

Cheers,
Charles

Ted

Didn't mean to hijack thread

I didn't mean to "hijack" your thread (this thread) Peder, which is suppose to be about helping you find reasons to buy/switch to a Cruzbike for an aquiantance of yours.

For any further discussions about the problems with my bike, let's go here: http://cruzbike.com/front-deraileur-silvio-wont-stay-adjusted , which is where I initially posted about my problems.

As for a reason to buy the Silvio, I'd read and heard that it climbs better than other recumbents. That has been proven true, for me, this past weekend when I was consistently faster than my other recumbent, even when I only had 9 speeds, as opposed to the normal 27. I LUV the Silvio, just gotta get the front deraileur working properly on a consistent basis.

Ted

The person who contacted me

The person who contacted me decided to buy a frame.
If others read this thread and are looking for some good reasons to buy a Silvio this thread can be helpful.
I hope you're able to solve the gear shifting problems.