Help with Silvio 1.0 setup please

telephd

Guru
Thanks again Jeremy for the

Thanks again Jeremy for the reply. If Im following you correctly I will end up with the boom lengthened. Ive followed this tandem adjustment technique to the point Im currently at. Maybe Im still not following the directions correctly but I cant lengthen the boom any more without getting too much leg extension. As it is my hamstring tendons on both legs are sore from my 20 mile "fast for me" ride on Friday. Yesterday rode 10 easy with my wife and tried your technique again but was unsuccessful. My problem is with appropriately adjusted leg extension my knees hit the bar when peddeling hard. Most of yesterday I was fine because it was an easy ride with my wife.
If Im understanding you correctly Ill lengthen the boom a bit more to give a little more leg length (and reduce knee strike) and then raise the boom to try and get to the same leg extension by raising the crank to the same spot in space?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Yes that's tricky to grasp at

Yes that's tricky to grasp at first; I know I missed the idea at first..

What Jeremy is saving. is

1) Make the boom longer, by extending it at the lower end.

That will indeed make your leg reach too far.

2) Then shift the entire boom back towards the seat; leave the length set in (1) but slide it as whole backwards.

That step (2) will:

(a) effectively bring the handle bars closer to you
(b) bring your feet closer to you hips solve the reach problem created in step 1
(c) tip you a little further back int he seat which might help with recumbutt.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I THINK that the BB is too

I THINK that the BB is too far away from you, and needs to come back 1", as you look over extended.

The boom is extendable using the bottom clamp, and position able using the clamp at the top of the steerer tube.

I have problems extending the boom, so I loosen both clamps and rotate the handlebars back and forth to adjust either length, and use the measurement from the CL of the Bottom bracket to the underside of the handle bar for the knee clearance setting, bottom of the steerer tube clamp to the top of of the BB clamp, for the leg extension length.

I have a V1.0 as well and adding the 100 mm boom extension made the ride SO much more comfortable, as with a 46.3" X seam, the BB was low and my thighs would press against the seat pan at the bottom of every stroke.

I removed the soft foam in the seat base, leaving only the rigid foam, and added 4off 10 mm layers of ASC10 ($100 roll is enough for three seats sets) very open weave Strong supporting mesh. After 2.5 years of riding it has not collapsed at all even with my light weight.

telephd

Guru
Thanks again Jeremy and Bob. 

Thanks again Jeremy and Bob. I paid a little closer attention this time and did indeed manage rid the knee strike. I still have a bit too closed an angle at max flexion and that might bother a nagging hip flexor injury. Thanks for your observation too Super Slim. I reduced the extension and think that will help some too. I attached some new pics for comparison.

I think I may be experiencing a similar situation as you described Slim with the low BB height an thigh seat pan interference. I was wondering if an extension would help by raising the BB height and with it leg angle at extension. Anyone know of a 100mm extension thats available? I contacted COBRA GT but havent heard back. Thanks too Slim for the padding recommendation and pics.

I finally read the certificate of authenticity on the seat pan and it looks like I have one of the original 12 production bikes. I guess that makes me the owner of a piece of Cruzebike nostalgia!

I wont be able to test the new fit on a long ride until Wednesday but will report on the results.

Happy Thanksgiving All!!

Hal