Hitting my Knees

jeanbgrenouille

I just got my Sofrider V2 a few weeks ago. Sadly, I haven't had the pleasure to ride it yet as all the different configurations I've tried leave me hitting my knees against the handlebars.

I am 5' 7'' and I am beginning to get the feeling that my height is at the root of the this problem. Are there any short riders out there? Or any with some suggestions on how to adjust the bike more correctly as I am rather frustrated by this situation.

Thanks,

Charles R.

JonB

Zen MBB Master
jeanbgrenouille wrote: I just got my Sofrider V2 a few weeks ago. Sadly, I haven't had the pleasure to ride it yet as all the different configurations I've tried leave me hitting my knees against the handlebars.

I am 5' 7'' and I am beginning to get the feeling that my height is at the root of the this problem. Are there any short riders out there? Or any with some suggestions on how to adjust the bike more correctly as I am rather frustrated by this situation.
Have you tried moving the seat back and forth?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Jon nailed it, move your seat forward and extend the TFT. OR, move the seat back and shorten the TFT. One way, or the other, you should be able to get your knees clear of the handlebar.

Mark

Hotdog

I'm with the others, the seat position you need might be a bit counterintuitive so try a wide range of seat positions. I'm quite a bit taller than you (just shy of 6') and yet I need to have the seat as far forward as I can get it in order to keep my knees clear of the bars, not what I expected at all and I didn't even think to try it until it was suggested to me here on the forum.

jeanbgrenouille

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful replies.

First, I had already tried moving the seat forward and extending the TFT. I was able to get about a quarter inch of clearance between my knees and the handlebar so long as the wheel was held in the forward position. If I attempted to turn the bike my knees unavoidably crashed into the handlebar.

Per your suggestions, I tried the counterintuitive position of moving the seat backwards and shortening the TFT, with the same outcome described above.

I am not a cycling expert, but have poured over the manual hoping to find that one golden nugget that will unlock the right configuration.

At this point my imagination has run out of different possibilities. Any last ditch thoughts?

Thanks again,

Charles R.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
jeanbgrenouille wrote: Thanks to all for the quick and helpful replies.

First, I had already tried moving the seat forward and extending the TFT. I was able to get about a quarter inch of clearance between my knees and the handlebar so long as the wheel was held in the forward position. If I attempted to turn the bike my knees unavoidably crashed into the handlebar.

Per your suggestions, I tried the counterintuitive position of moving the seat backwards and shortening the TFT, with the same outcome described above.

I am not a cycling expert, but have poured over the manual hoping to find that one golden nugget that will unlock the right configuration.

At this point my imagination has run out of different possibilities. Any last ditch thoughts?

Thanks again,

Charles R.

I'll give you fifty bucks for it? :lol: :lol:

Sorry! Couldn't resist.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that turning the handlebar shouldn't change the relationship of the handlebar to your knees because your bottom bracket turns at the same time as does the handlebar and since your knees don't bend that way, you are actually swivelling your hips to turn. I just verified this on my conversion. My handlebar barely clears my knees and in fact, my knees will hit the handlebar on occasion. This is not made any worse by turning the bike, even powering through the turn. My gut feeling (and trust me, I have a large gut for the feeling! ;) ) is, we're talking about technique here. How much have you ridden/practiced on the bike?

I'm not an expert on the Sofrider, so I will defer to the others. There has to be a way, I know Doug (Hardtailcruzer) is on the.... ummmm.... aaah.... vertically challenged side?!!? Im sure he'll chime in here and offer assistance. Doug? Hello?

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
You can also try reversing the stem this got the bars away from my knees on a Downtube conversion. I know its hard to ride a bike thats not set up right . Jack

Rick Harker

Hey Charles,
I have a Sofrider 2 and know exactly what you're experiencing.
I'm 5' 9" with a 42" X seam. I've tried all manners of adjustments to find the right comfort factor. A forward seat gives me clearance (just) but if I point my toes a little they will hit but moving the seat back makes the bike handle better. If you reverse the stem you will be too squashy. If you raise the bar or riser too much it will lessen your vision.
What I have done and like that of Jack's is to get yourself an adjustable stem. You can raise it enough without encumbering your vision or if you have room you can reverse it like Jack's.
I set mine up with the help of a bike trainer on the front wheel, loosened all the clamps to bars, shifters and brakes then sat on the bike and bit by bit adjusted everything till it felt right. Then out on the road for a test. A small bit of fine tuning along the way and that was it. Much better now.
I must say though the bars I'm still not comfortable with. Could be just me though. Jack's look good. Origin 8 could be better???

Regards,

Rick.

Flasharry

To get enough clearance, you can slide the stem up so it is half way off the steer tube, use some threadlock on the joint and bolt it all up tight. Reversing the stem will make your learning process more difficult.
Have fun.
Stuart.